The Adventures in Policing Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by MasterShake29, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the cop? Nothing. From the taxpayers, OTOH . . .

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good point.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...spects-20140409,0,2484438.story#ixzz2ya3Pb1ck
    "Cortijo, a 27-year veteran of the department, served in the U.S. Marine Corps and was a two-time LAPD officer of the year ...
    Qaneak Shaney Cobb, 33, faces a felony DUI charge, and prosecutors allege she was under the influence of cocaine in her Chevrolet Blazer when she rear-ended Cortijo as he was stopped at a traffic light"

Moishe repped this.
  4. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cops Mistakenly Shoot Hostage... and kill him

LA County Deputies mistakenly shot at fleeing hostages, wounding one and killing another. Despite the fact that one of the hostages was bloodied from a knife attack, and neither of the two hostages were holding anything.

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So that would seem to belong in the "shit happens" column? The cops had to make a split-second decision on limited and shaky information, and they got it wrong.

The whole thing would have been over before they had the chance to see either "bloodied" or "not holding anything"-- and "bloodied" would have seemed confirmatory. The obvious inference seems to me to be that the wounded guy was hit by accident, not design.

Seems like a tragedy, not an atrocity.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  6. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the wounded guy was hit by accident. In instances like this maybe using a non-lethal weapon would have been the right solution.

HerthaBerwyn repped this.
  7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I could be persuaded, but that is not currently the context the cops were operating in is it? Not fair to condemn them in hindsight, as though they were being careless...

8. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe it's totally fair to criticize them considering they still managed to shoot someone who was already injured. Even if they were shooting at the hostage taker, which they weren't, they still managed to hit another innocent person. Sometimes you don't need 3 guys emptying a clip into someone.

It reminds me of the incident in NYC near the Empire State Building last year, man with a gun, all the injured people were shot by the cops instead of the guy with the gun.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #2735 JBigjake, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    There will obviously be an official inquiry, and the family of the unfortunate victim will probably receive a large settlement. A fatal mistake by the deputies will most likely not lead to any criminal charges, although it may lead to internal charges.
    I don't think anyone "emptied a clip" into anyone.
    No reason that it should.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Empire_State_Building_shooting \
    August 24, 2012 ... Jeffrey Johnson ... pointed a .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun at a former co-worker's head, and fired one round ... stood over him and fired at him four more times, killing him. ...
    When confronted by the two officers, Johnson raised his weapon, but did not fire. The officers fired a total of 16 rounds, killing Johnson and injuring nine bystanders, none of whom suffered life-threatening wounds. Three of the bystanders were directly hit by police gunfire, while the rest of the injuries were caused by fragments of ricocheting bullets, or by debris from other objects hit by police. Johnson's handgun, which held eight rounds, still had two rounds remaining when he was shot ...
    surveillance video of the shootout ... shows Johnson wearing a suit, holding a briefcase, and raising his handgun at the officers, who then responded with gunfire. Johnson is shown being struck by the police's bullets, dropping his briefcase, and falling to the ground"
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/justice/new-york-empire-state-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The article states that the officers will return to duty next week.

You're right, I was being facetious.

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Tell ya what-- if I'm running close in front of a guy who is chasing me with a knife, and the cops--or you-- wound me in the process of shooting him off my back, I ain't suing anybody; I'm sending "thank you" cards.

Your mileage may vary, but it seems pretty obvious that is what these cops were trying to do. They just misidentified due to the need to do something instantly.

Moishe repped this.
  12. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    "The deputies, all department veterans, were removed from patrol after the shooting but were expected to return to full duty next week, sheriff's officials said."
    Doesn't mean that it will happen. OTOH, LASD marches to its own drummer. My experiences with them were not positive.

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't have a problem with bad decisions being made in an instant. Cops are (mostly) human. I have a bigger problem when they execute people for no ********ing reason whatsoever, as Albuquerque PD did to James Burke a few weeks ago.

14. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Maybe this needs a "The Adventures In DAing Thread" but IMO we should seriously consider penalizing prosecutorial misconduct.

To wit, http://www.propublica.org/article/b...rt-cleared-of-murder-after-24-years-in-prison

There is no doubt whatsoever that prosecutors knew this man was innocent and withheld exculpatory evidence. But there's virtually no penalty for a DA to withhold information. We can't leave something as important as providing evidence to the honor system.

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I assume you mean James Boyd?

While I don't endorse the behavior, characterizing it as an execution is pretty disingenuous; the situation went on for hours, the man was entirely noncompliant and confrontational, he drew edged weapons, non lethal means were attempted and failed, and he appeared to be about to attack a police dog.

It is true the police efforts could reasonably be characterized as amateurish, and the situation seemed to allow room to attempt a non fatal shoot, and didn't seem to call for a volley of fire-- no officer other than the canine was in immediate danger-- but an execution, it was not.

Of course you may have an entirely different case in mind; APD has been spilling blood fairly freely of late, and investigations are under way; without a correct name I'm not going to be able to comment.

16. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Umar repped this.
  17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Moishe and JBigjake repped this.
  18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    In further news, the federal investigation has concluded, to no one's surprise, that the APD has exhibited "a pattern of excessive force" in the recent past.

Which is regrettable and improper, but still not the same thing as "executions."

19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not defending the officers (at least not intentionally) but I am going to play a bit of devils advocate. How would you have resolved this matter? You are the officer/s and after three hours the use of stun guns, bean bags and a flash bang did zilch to subdue Mr. Boyd. Mr. Boyd apparently has a violent past and has directed numerous threats at you and your fellow officers. What would YOU do?

Putting aside the APD's reputation for the extreme and focusing solely on this incident the shooting may be justified. At least according to Tennessee v. Garner the shooting was justified. It's very easy to Monday morning QB when you have the luxury and safety of sitting behind your computer but being in the moment offers a very different reality.

20. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #2746 JBigjake, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    MasterShake29 repped this.
  21. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the family in question, but I suspect that if they were asked, they'd prefer to have their family member back than any "large settlement."

22. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    #2748 JBigjake, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    Of course. But, they'll still sue, unless he had a will & left his estate to charity.

23. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure. But that's irrelevant to any discussion of the severity of the tragedy.

24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Sentiment among the public is that this is routine, normal police behavior and that they consider it appropriate. It is also assumed by the public, despite hidden agendas and plausible deniability, that this is why so many police object to having their behavior recorded.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti...l_wins_acquittal_for_defendant_desk_duty_for/

Desk duty? Lets play prosecutor and see how many criminal charges we can think to pile on these fine public servants.

Then, lets talk about parallel construction.