The A-League Expansion Thread

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Azzballz the Great, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nothing good comes from willing bids to succeed. Didn't they learn that the first time? Have an open bidding process and go with the best ffs.

2. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    we dont need another team in Sydney, I went to the game tonight, and there was just over 10,000 there, good game but.
    Put another team at Wollongong and one at Canberra, theres your 12 team comp

3. epris

epris Member

May 20, 2007
    Sydney
    I agree... A west Sydney team at this point in time may kill Syd Fc... As the smith report has advised, its best to sit on the 10 teams for now...

4. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No go to 12 teams, canberra and gong

5. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    I agree with you about Wollongong but given the recent news about the Brumbies financial state - and with both the Brumbies and the Raiders without a major sponsor, I don't think Canberra is an ideal market at the moment.

6. Blake8

Blake8 Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    for 12 teams there is nowhere else left at this time, until Football grows bigger in peoples minds in this backwater of a country, Canberra and Wollongong are the only two options left for the A-League.

7. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it could be Tasmania/Darwin/Sydney2/Canberra and Wollongong but I get your point...not many options.

8. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I disagree most heartily. I actually think a proper WS team bizarrely could help SFC a little. It would energize a large currently latent support base for the game in WS and this would prod a few to finally choose sides. Its inevitable that a few would choose the Sky Blues. Finally the Daily Telegraph would have a hard time justifying its obvious editorial policy of ignoring soccer if the WS team were selling out Parramatta Stadium every second week and he Sydney Derby drew 60k to the Olympic stadium. A huge derby game 3 times a season would draw in curious Eurosnobs like moths to a naked flame if the atmosphere at the Melbourne Derbies is anything to go by.
    I think a strong WS HAL team is essential to the growth and long term stability of top level domestic Soccer in Australia.more so even than a strong and viable SFC. Ideally they both would be strong & viable.

9. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Darwin and Tassie are pipedreams and neither have suitable stadiums anyway.

Wollongong and Western Sydney would be the two logical next choices, barring a second NZ team.

10. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I agree. A WS team may steal supporters off Sydney FC. But chances are the people who actually attend the SFC games won't jump ship, mainly because of the transport linking the west and the east. I'd hazard a guess and say that a large majority current game attendees for SFC would hail from the Eastern Suburbs with not many at all from the western suburbs.

If a WS team does come in, it's going to get locals who might be discouraged from going to SFC games (due to the travel from the WS area) attending their home games at, say, Parramatta stadium.

I think a WS sydney team is a must for the A-League in the near future, the bidding process just has to be done right the next time round.

11. FAR-QUE

FAR-QUE New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Liverpool FC for west sydney

12. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  13. Capt. Socceroo

May 7, 2001
    Adelaide, Australia
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    very annoying, but with my cynics hat on, could be a way of saying "well he was never that interested in the first place, this is the easy way to let everybody down."
    Pity, I still firmly believe that a WS team done correctly will be huge and could make MVC' supporter numbers look like a corner pub team.

14. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it looks like Gold Coast is out for good next year, but this article is interesting.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1034932?cc=5901

Quick recap if you don't want to read the whole thing: Lowy says that the Canberra bid is not dead, their bid and the WS bid both meet multiple criteria that they want to see met, and their meetings with fans and business people who want to keep Gold Coast around are going well, but they don't think they'll make it for next year.

This could be good for the A League in a couple different ways. GC doesn't get it together to be back in for the next season, and has to go on hiatus for a bit (ala San Jose Earthquakes) while they get their new ownership together. WS comes in for the 12/13 season, then Canberra and GC get added for the 13/14 season after getting time to really get their act together. This means by 2014 you're looking at 12 team A League.

Not only that, but it gives the team with sketchy support, Canberra, and the team that needs restructuring and possibly rebranding, Gold Coast, time to really get things in order

15. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    A bit of wishful thinking there.

Canberra has a small transient population and no private wealth or companies. Gold Coast was struggling even before Palmer lost the plot.

The A-League can not afford another failed expansion to can not afford to take the risk of putting teams in Canberra and another team in the Gold Coast.

Western Sydney is the only possible option.

16. artml

artml Member

Liverpool FC
    Ukraine
    Jul 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Honestly, I'd rather seen Furries resurrected.

17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Furies were almost as bad as Gold Coast. In their two seasons they averaged 6723 and 4245, while GC averaged, 5382, 3434, and 3226. Bringing back the Furies is a non-starter, IMHO.

18. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there no NSL team they could bring up? One that already has decent support but just needs some cash?

19. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They did that: those teams are called Perth Glory, Adelaide United and Newcastle United. Even then, the NZ Football Kingz still went bust.

No other NSL teams met the criteria and seven years in the State Leagues hasn't changed that.

20. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It'd suck to go back down to a 9 team league, but I'd rather that than have a rushed WS bid come in and end up screwing up. Any further expansion must be thoroughly thought through and should be well and truly ready.

21. AllWhitebeliever

AllWhitebeliever Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2006
    On the injury table
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    But they did do due diligence with both GC and the Furries bids, there are always a certain degree of risk involved in any bid. There is also a learning curve for everyone as well. And you can't really be prepared for idiots that pull the wool over people's eyes by glossing over facts and figures to make the bid better than it really is.

22. 007GS

007GS Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I don't think attendances should be an issue when discussing north queensland. The Furries would've been a nice addition if it weren't for the financial side. Population under 200,000 and averaging close to 7000 in the first season (performed OK, finished 7th). The second season was a mess with dark clouds hanging for a long time so I can't take those numbers seriously, just like Clive's crowds now. If all was well they would keep that average and crack 10k for Kewell/finals. But the expansion was too gung-ho.

Melbourne has a population of 4 million and Heart are getting regular crowds of under 7000 but they'll build. Wellington is hanging around the 8000 mark with a population of 400,000. Gold Coast's population exceeds 550,000 but they have the Clive issue so it's hard to compare.

23. Zednaught

Zednaught Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Club:
    Adelaide United
    The Gold Coast rugby league team is up shit creek as well.

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Canberra are still hanging around ;)

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1100991/Canberra-ready-to-step-in

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/socceroos/news/1129487/FFA-rules-out-A-League-expansion