Review: The 23 to Azteca; New blood? Or Old blood?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jun 13, 2012.

1. INKRO

INKRO Member+

Jul 28, 2011
    You guys want to reintro freshly recovered players who haven't played for 6 months to a full year for a meaningless friendly? Really?

I'm not sure I want them to be going through Jurgen's training regimen.

2. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How come you guys never use Guzan or the other gks in Europe?

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not aying you should send a U-23 team down there. I just think that we should not be afraid to widen our player pool options. If Agudelo and Adu continue their form, I want them in contention for a starting spots. Maybe, Gatt. Shea got into a friendly against Mexico, I don't see why Gatt couldn't.

4. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope Nuremberg tries to get him back in the winter transfer, because if he shows that he can perform well in the Bundesliga it might get him a starting CB position with the USMNT. Being realistic I don't see Jurgen calling Gonzo in September since he didn't call him in last years
    friendlies until Camp Cupcake and it will take
    some time for Omar to get rid of some rust, I
    expect him to get called in for Camp Cupcake
    (unless Nuremberg wants him back) and show
    Jurgen that he deserves a CB spot. I saw Omar
    tweeting a few days ago that the doctor checked
    out his knee, and told him that his knee looks
    like it didn't even have surgery so that is really
    good news and wouldn't be surprised if he starts
    playing in July just like you said.

5. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guzan wasn't the starting GK for his former club Aston Villa but he is looking for a new club so he can be a starting GK.

LGRod repped this.
  6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea got time in a friendly against Mexico in the US. That is different than in front of 100K screaming fans who are throwing a battery of crap at you for 90 minutes, a ref who will not give you a call for 90 minutes, and playing at high altitude.

Let's remember Shea in that Mexico game - there was a moment where he nearly lost it walking back from a chance. He turned and got into a shoving match, whipping his head around after a comment was made. That is not something we want in Azteca. That is an example of a younger player learning.

Same goes for Gatt. He is welcome to come join camp in November when we play Russia. It's nearby, and he can observe. Still don't expect him to get major game time. He's there to learn and carry the water.

Guys, be reasonable in your expectations. I know you want to blood the newbies because people are feeling like our team is ancient. But the current happenings at the European Cup show you there is a time and a place for veterans. A youngster who has had MINIMAL training time with the USMNT isn't suddenly going to spring up starting for the Nats in Azteca. At least, I would hope not, and based on Jurgen's roster selections so far, doesn't seem like it.

The Azteca game will be played like a qualifier if I read into Jurgen's comments. Expect to see the same XI you saw yesterday. The subs will be more important. There are still players who will be experiencing this for the first time: notably, JFT, Johnson and Goodson. It will be very important to see how they react.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there is zero chance their clubs will let them go.

8. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't help but draw a parallel between our midfield problems and the poor showing the Dutch made in the Euros. They play with two destroyer DMs to protect a weak back four. Once in possession, as Cruyff commented after the loss to Denmark, Van Bommel and De Jong (Edu and Jones) see too much of the ball. They are expected to link-up and create a passing rhythm which is way outside of their respective skillsets. This forces the playmaker Sneijder (Dempsey) to drop too deep to collect the ball which reduces his effectiveness going forward because he is using all of his energy and creativity in the middle instead of the final third.
    We are lucky that Bradley is blossoming in the tactics-oriented Serie A. We can use his defensive hustle and long range passing to supplant Edu or Jones thereby freeing the 3rd CM spot for a two-way linking midfielder like Holden or perhaps Torres.

My ideal midfield trio would be
    Purely defensive #6: Edu, Jones, Williams, Beckerman
    Midfield general and playmaker: Bradley
    Linking #8: Holden, Kljestan, Torres, Feilhaber, Zusi

9. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, Guzan needs a game so we can introduce him to the play.

10. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I don't really care if Gatt gets sent off in a friendly (which is incredibly unlikely.). Agudelo and Adu won't get sent off, anyway.

11. USA_Striker

USA_Striker New Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When is this game scheduled for?

12. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think what ever team they decide to send over there, should include a lot of our Mexican base players since they are more used to playing at high altitude Azteca stadium. Because as we have seen time after time, our players after 30 mins are exhausted. I would start Corona, Beasley, Castillo, Torres, and Gomez.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    and we can include Larentowitz and Beckerman and any other American player from the Rapids or RSL because they live and play at altitude.

14. JAV7

JAV7 Member

Jun 2, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No because they dont have the contaminating smog

15. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    People put Gatt up - I did too - however I doubt his team will release him because they will be mid season and are going for a league title. Donovan probably shouldn't play this one. We are again faced with the question of who replaces Donovan. Ives Galarcep is ominously predicting Donovan's demise
    http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/usmnt-what-we-learned-from-five-game-stretch-061312

I think people are underestimating experience and overestimating athleticism in this position.

Having said that, it would be advantageous, IMO, to sit Donovan in this one and try out a totally new, young athletic talent at this spot and see what he can make of it. I think Andrew Wenger has been moved to forward at Montreal and scored 2 goals after not doing so well at right mid. He could be tried at right wing and the test would be a really good one that would tell us if he has the right stuff to play against our competition at this position. He was originally a defender so he will be able to assist with defence in the 433 that Jurgen likes.

Anybody have any better ideas?

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Edu is a pure dmid and had less turnovers than Bradley in the last game, with more touches. Having said that, I agree with the general proposition that all 3 should NOT be starting together.

But someone remind me why we are talking about Azteca? We haven't been world-beaters in the first 2 games of THIS round. I'm considerably more worried about who we bring to Jamaica at this point.

17. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    imo, we need Jones to sit in front of the back 4, Bradley & Jones are all around much better players. A healthy & on form Danny Williams, Eric Lichaj (pushing Fabian into the midfield), & Stuart Holden & Edu isnt even in the 23... unless he moves from Rangers & becomes the player I once saw him being.. I'm just wanting to see us revolve more & more around possession and skill. I thought thats what Jurgen wanted but not seeing a player like Kljestan in the side & a constant use of Edu makes me think otherwise..

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don't know what the date is for this one yet - how close to quali's against Jamaica Sep 7 & 11 (away/home).

I'd like to see Guzan get a game so he knows what his players are doing in case he has to come in cold at some stage from the bench later in quali's.

I think where the team needs development is at wings forward and back. We could keep a veteran center of the field:

LF-----------Gomez (cf)----------------RF

-------Bradley-Edu-Jones (mid)

LB-------Boca-Goodson (cb)------------RB

-----------Guzan (GK)

That would leave open the LB/RB/LF/RF
    We could play Fabian at LB, Hedges at RB, Shea at LF and Wenger at RF.

Basically we would have the same center of the field but new wide players who average 22/23 in age with good pace. Let's see who can play wide against Mexico.

19. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I want to give us our best chance possible to win at the Azteca. It would be a huge mental hurdle for this team.

Jurgen will get as close to his "best available" squad as possible. We'll have a couple different faces from the squad we just used against A&B/Guate........but not major changes.

Berks repped this.
  20. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need some sort of hybrid between the latest squad and a younger squad. If we go to Azteca with the latest squad we will be destroyed, there was no speed or vision

My ideal 21 (plus 2 pick em's) for Mexico/September WCQ:
    GK: Howard, Guzan, Hamid
    D: Cherundolo, Lichaj, Johnson, Castillo, Bocanegra, Goodson, Cameron, Ream
    M: Bradley, Jones, Torres, Williams, Donovan, Corona
    F: Gomez, Altidore, Boyd, Dempsey

Pick 'em / Replacements: Onyewu, Parkhurst, Morales, Kljestan, Adu, Gatt, Edu, Holden, Shea, Beasley, Agudelo, Wondo, Wooten

-Is it time to give Gatt a serious run: If he can get released, he needs to be intorduced to the system. If only just to observe. He should factor in Brazil, and has qualities that the team is missing. Speed, ability on the wing, killer (finishing) instincts and youth.

-Life A.D (After Donovan): Unless Donovan goes balls to the wall with Galaxy, or gets back to Everton one more time, and shows quality..it's time to start phasing him down in his role. Scotland was great, but even with the hat trick we was not playing at full speed. Against Guatemala one thing that I saw really summed up Donovan lately. He and Bradley stood 6 feet from each other and passed the ball back and forth 5 times. Bradley was clearing wanting Donovan to go forward, but he wouldn't move. It was very strange to watch.

-Onyewu is done as an automatic inclusion

- Will Holden be ready?

21. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is amazing to me how poor Donovan looked vs Guat. Something in him needs to change or he will not be a starter anymore.

22. El Niño Orgulloso

Jul 5, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd go with the aggressive 3-3-4, mostly young guys with Dempsey & Gomez for experience.

---------------------Guzan--------------------
    -----F. Johnson----- Cameron----- Lichaj
    -----A. Guido-------Torres------Junior Flores
    Gyau ----Agudelo------Gomez-------Dempsey

Chandler's next game should be a cap-tying match, no more free friendlies. We cannot waste valuable experience in Mexico City on a wanna-be German Nat.

23. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. Wow...I'd love to see this. Just an an experiment.

Pump the breaks on Flores and Guido though...isn't Flores 17 years old? Replace Guzan, Gomez, Cameron and Torres and this could be our 2018 WC lineup.. Although I think Dempsey will be 36 by then.

---------------------Hamid?--------------------
    ---F. Johnson---Gonzo-- John-----Lichaj
    -----Gatt-------Diskerud------Junior Flores
    -----Gyau ------Agudelo----Boyd-----------

That's a lineup I can get behind! I think Preston Zimmerman would be mad tho...

24. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    flores isn't even 17, he plays for the u-17 team right now so he's no older than 16.

also i think lichaj is far more likely to be the RB down the road, he's right footed and johnson has looked fantastic at LB

25. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You forgot Chandler that will get Zimmerman more mad.