Review: The 23 to Azteca; New blood? Or Old blood?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by AutoPenalti, Jun 13, 2012.

1. an1310

an1310 Member+

Jun 2, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    This does underscore a cruel trick by the football gods. The American-born son of a world-class, World Cup-winning striker plays...goalkeeper.

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This is how I see Klinsmann's ideal squad selection for this match:

Howard, Guzan, Rimando
    Bocanegra, Cameron, Goodson, Onyewu
    Cherundolo, Johnson, Castillo, Parkhurst
    Bradley, Jones, Edu, Torres, Beckerman, Williams
    Dempsey, Donovan
    Gomez, Altidore, Boyd, Wondolowski

I see Brooks, Morales, Clark, Corona and Pontius as likely to benefit from any of the players listed above missing out.

3. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see a situation where JK will bring in most of the Mexican based players to this game (Torres, Gomez, Castillo, Corona, Beasley).

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. stonejh127

stonejh127 Member+

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not. They all suck except Torres and Gomez.

5. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm dubious whether Boyd, Altidore, Bradley or Dempsey make this game. Although this is technically a FIFA date I think JK is aware that Boyd and Bradley need to stay put for now and secure their spots. Dempsey doesnt need an injury right now, so that might be a reason to leave him off, but it could also be a showcase for him since EPL clubs seem hellbent on dropping 10 millions pounds on some prospect, but wont pony up for a proven goal scorer. Altidore is a different story as it would seem the AZ coach and Jurgen are not BFF's.

Parkhurst season already started. Onyewu looked last legs, and his position at Sporting is no where close to guaranteed at this point. Cameron and Guzan are also question marks due to their new club situations.

I am also fairly confident we will be seeing Chandler again at Azteca

This seems like the last US Roster before the real experimentation starts with Russia and Camp Cupcake, in trying to find the young guys and newer prospects who could help out in the Qualies, the Hex and WC 2014

Here's what I got for the 23:

GK: Howard, Johnson
    Fullback: Cherundolo, F. Johnson, Castillo, Chandler
    Centerbacks: Goodson, Bocanegra, DeMerit, Ream
    Midfield: Jones, Torres, Beckerman, Edu, Zusi, Corona, Williams
    Mid/Fwd: Donovan, Pontius, Beasley
    Forward: Gomez, Wondo, E. Johnson

Alts: Kljestan, Gonzo, Robbie Rogers, Lichaj, Adu,

6. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they still got Jamaica, Jamaica, Antigua and Guatemala before the REAL experimenting begins..

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beasley is a good option off the bench. He's basically Puebla's offense. And we haven't seen enough of Corona to make a decision on his international quality.

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    last go...

GK
    Tim Howard, Dan Kennedy
    omit: Brad Guzan, Caleb Patterson-Sewell

FB
    Fabian Johnson, Edgar Castillo, Steve Cherundolo, Michael Parkhurst
    omit: Eric Lichaj, Jonathan Spector, Timmy Chandler

CB
    Clarence Goodson, Tim Ream, Seb Hines, Michael Orozco
    omit: Carlos Bocanegra, Oguchi Onyewu, John Brooks, Zak Whitbread, Geoff Cameron

MF
    Daniel Williams, Jermaine Jones, Kyle Beckerman, Jose Torres
    omit: Michael Bradley, Stuart Holden, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan, Alredo Morales

WG
    Landon Donovan, Chris Pontius, DaMarcus Beasley, Joe Corona
    omit: Clint Dempsey, Josh Gatt, Robbie Rogers

FW
    Herculez Gomez, Chris Wondolowski, Kenny Cooper
    omit: Jozy Altidore, Terrence Boyd

-----------------------Gomez-----------------------
    ------------Pontius---------------Donovan---------
    ---------------Torres------------Jones---------------
    -----------------------Williams---------------------
    Johnson--------------------------------------Cherundolo
    ------------------Ream-------Goodson---------------
    ------------------------Howard------------------------

Bench: Kennedy, Parkhurst, Castillo, Beckerman, Beasley, Corona, Wondolowski

9. j0osh

j0osh Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SEB HINES!!!!!!

Eleven, I will buy you a personalized Seb Hines US jersey if he is called up for this game.

<fingers crossed>

10. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Parkhurst recovering from an injury?

11. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    JK should take some of the young guys, who need to get some experience at Azteca if we want to have a shot against them next summer. and Brek Shea is a must take

12. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree with just about everything you just said; until I saw that bit at the end.

soccerusa517 and RevPOWA repped this.
  13. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He isn't getting called up anytime soon IMO.

14. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am sorry, I think Brek Shea is going to be a big part of wht the USA can do this cycle. He can start for an injured Gomez or Altidore, or can come in the the 70' if the US needs a goal.

15. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea hasn't done anything for FC Dallas in a long time, it's more than likely that Klinsmann will call up Chris Pontius or Beasley over Shea.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  16. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'll take you up on that... seriously, look at all our options on the backline:

-Carlos Bocanegra (needs to find a club)
    -Geoff Cameron (just found a new club)
    -Zak Whitbread (just found a new club)
    -John Brooks (just recently found his place on the first team)
    -Oguchi Onyewu (bust)
    -Omar Gonzalez (just recovered from a MAJOR injury and not back to form)
    -George John (just recovered from an injury and has not been in the best of form lately)
    -Jay DeMerit (we don't need anymore senior citizens)
    -Matt Besler, Austin Berry, Matthew Hedges, Amobi Okugo, & AJ Soares (Camp Cupcake at the earliest)

I suggested we take Goodson because he is our only veteran that would be available and the call-up would not hurt his role with his club, Ream because he needs another chance with the full team despite the fact that his role with his club is not exactly locked down, and Orozco because the game is in Mexico and he has been called up before. And if i am desperate enough to call in Michael Orozco then a call-up for Seb Hines, a well regarded young CB who starts for a top Championship side is definitely possible.

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Sure, I'm expecting dropouts as well but I'm not expecting many. I'm sure Altidore will be one, but Klinsmann will try to call him up. I do expect Bocanegra and Edu unless they have signed with new clubs by Sunday, otherwise Rangers will want them in the shop window. My expectation with Bradley and Dempsey is that Bradley will come and Dempsey will miss, but I wouldn't be certain enough to bet money on either case.

Onyewu is a mystery. I'm not really sure how Klinsmann will handle the 4th CB spot behind Bocanegra, Cameron and Goodson. I expect Brooks to have the inside track since he plays in the Bundesliga II and is German-American.

I don't expect many surprises by Klinsmann unless their are a lot of dropouts. Pontius is the new attacking player I most expect will be picked by Klinsmann.

18. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, my last intake before the roster becomes revealed. I'm still pretty sure there will be some odd selections yet again.

GOALKEEPER (3): Tim Howard (Everton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
    DEFENDERS (7): Clearance Goodson (Brondby), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenhiem), Eric Lichaj (Aston Villa), Jay Demerit (Vancouver Whitecaps), Timothy Chandler (Nuremberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City)
    MIDFIELDERS (7): Jose Torres (Pachuca), Michael Bradley (AS Roma), Jermaine Jones (Shalke 04), Maurice Edu (New Co. Rangers), Daniel Williams (Hoffenhiem), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Joe Corona (Tijuana)
    FORWARDS (6): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Landon Donovan (L.A. Galaxy), Clint Dempsey (Fulham F.C.), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders)

19. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh, thats not true but for now I would prefer to just see those 2. Wouldnt mind too much if Beasley snuck on though

20. HeMan

HeMan Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Earth
    We can hope to see new blood all we want, but Klinsmann is not going to bring an experimental roster down to Azteca. The only omissions i might see are Bradley, Edu, Boyd, Guzan, and Altidore, and the only new blood is going to be Chris Pontius, Danny Williams at CDM, and some random MLS GK as the back-up. I also doubt we'll see one of the May/June snubs in Ream, Lichaj, and Kljestan. Dempsey and Bocanegra are both likely to go given that both don't really even have a club right now and Klinsmann will not only want the reinforcements but to show them off also. And if Chandler wants to go then he is going to go. Note that i think it is a mistake to bring Cameron, but all signs point to him going.

Starting XI:

-----------------------Gomez------------------------
    ------------Dempsey----------Donovan------------
    -----------------Torres------Jones------------------
    ------------------------Williams----------------------
    Johnson--------------------------------------Cherundolo
    ---------------Bocanegra----Cameron---------------
    -------------------------Howard-----------------------

Bench: Kennedy, Goodson, Chandler, Beckerman, Corona, Pontius, Wondolowski

-

21. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    18 man roster only, since this is a 1-off friendly, not an extended training camp with multiple games.

Klinsmann's Starting XI:

---------------------Gomez--------------------
    Donovan----------------------------Williams
    ----------------Torres----Jones--------------
    ----------------------Edu----------------------
    Johnson--------------------------Cherundolo
    ---------------Boca-----Goodson-------------
    ---------------------Howard-------------------

Klinsmann's 7 Subs: Rimando, Chandler, Ream, Beckerman, Zusi, Pontius, Wondolowski

Bradley, Cameron and Boyd skip due to new clubs. Dempsey skips due to potential transfer. Onyewu skips due to unsettled club starting spot. Guzan not called because not needed (long flight for purely bench time). Altidore skips due to pressure from club.

My Starting XI:

---------------------Altidore--------------------
    Donovan-------------------------------Gomez
    ----------------Torres----Jones--------------
    --------------------Williams---------------------
    Johnson----------------------------Chandler
    ---------------Ream----Goodson-------------
    ---------------------Guzan-------------------

My 7 Subs: Rimando, Lichaj, Gonzalez, Edu, Beasley, Pontius, Wondolowski

Bradley, Cameron and Boyd skip due to new clubs. Dempsey skips due to potential transfer. Onyewu skips due to unsettled club starting spot. Howard not called because it's long overdue to let Guzan get some game time.

Screw Altidore's pressure from club; he's our #1 striker and he didn't play much in May/June. I want to see Williams at his best position for a change. Time to test some new defenders (but not 100% new) and Boca and Cherundolo are totally known quantities. Lichaj and Pontius play final 45 minutes. Yeah, it's a bit soon for Gonzo, but I'd give him a token 15 minutes at the end subbing for Goodson.