The 2017-2018 MLS/YBTD Schedule Challenge

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by chapka, Feb 19, 2014.

1. MLS Wandering Fan

Jun 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is one thing that we have learned after this brutal winter, its that less is more. In other words, we should try to create a schedule which plays 30 or fewer games to avoid having to play in horrible weather while still offering the flexibility for FIFA dates, CCL, and US Open Cup.

I would prefer to see four divisions of six teams where you play each divisional opponent home and home and all non-division opponents once for a total of 28 games. I just think that 34 games with playoffs and the other competitions in our climate will be too stressful for the players. For clubs that are concerned about revenue losses due to fewer home games, they can add a few exhibitions in the late July, early August period to offset those losses.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well ;)

http://www.nasl.com/article/uuid/1n...dian-championships-to-summer-starting-in-2015

3. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL had 2 games on Christmas
    1 in Canada(has no bearing on US Thanksgiving)
    1 in Nashville

NHL played 0 games on Christmas. In fact NHL doesn't schedule games on 12/24 and 12/25.

In the last 10 years on Thanksgiving NHL schedules games in Canada. With exceptions 06,07,13 with a game in Nashville and 2003 in Phoenix.

NHL hasn't played on Christmas since 1971.

I am not sure where you got NFL playing on Christmas. They played the 22nd and 23rd in 2013 season. 3 teams had home games on Thanksgiving

4. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If you read the quote my reply was too, it was in reference to Thanksgiving and Xmas weekends, not the exact days.

5. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Okay but you quote says Thanksgiving and Xmas. Just pointing that it out.

And from now on NHL will not play on 12/24,25 or 26. It is written in the CBA.

6. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I think that's the point of the exercise -- it's hard to make it work.