News: The 2013-2014 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. We shall see. When the Chosen One goes undefeated then he can criticize ... Les Invincibles

2. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I don't disagree. We didn't write the rules. We just have to follow them.

3. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an Arsenal fan, I would like to point out that I'll take the FA Cup if it means missing the CL next year. Why? I would like to win something. It's been too long for a club that has been in the top 4 the entire time. The frustration was easy to deal with when we had the understanding as fans that we weren't spending because we wanted to clear the debt. Fine. No problem there, but the issue does come up with the mental toughness that has brooded underneath it all since the team management has relegated it's wallet. Wenger has not instilled in this team a foundation of mental strength that can see it through the difficulty of an entire season. Last season's finish was great and exciting, but when the pressure is off, it is a lot easier to win and perform. After Christmas and before they got eliminated from realistic contention, it was not working, just like this season. I'll say that over the season, January through March is the most important positioning timeframe of the year. And Wenger has failed. He needs to really spend this summer. But if he fails to win the FA Cup, he needs to go.

4. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one can truly believe that for Arsenal to win the FA Cup it would have required them to go into debt or relegated. It does not have to be an either/or proposition. What it is, is a club with a massive wage bill (compared to the rest of English football) and resources failing consistently in that competition. It is possible to win the FA Cup without sacrificing CL football. To me its just a big failing on Arsenal (Wenger and co) for not winning it regardless of where they finish in the league.

5. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely right. Don't get me wrong, I want top 4 too. My position was if it HAD to be either/or, I'd take the FA Cup.

6. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You don't understand. Arsenal are doing it the right way.

I mean, you can't expect a club that only spends 143 million quid on wages to try and win the FA Cup as well as trying to increase their franchise branding by getting into the Champions League. The Arsenal Way means everything.

http://www.tsmplug.com/football/premier-league-player-salaries-club-by-club/

7. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    hate to say it, as I like wenger and have a soft spot for Arsenal, but his transfer dealings have been terrible. too many squad players sitting on the bench picking up a large salary in previous seasons and not being good enough to play for a "top four" team

8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welbeck just robbed of a gorgeous goal for a bogus handball call. Sheesh.

9. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's impressive how much quicker BM is than ManU. Great game thus far. 1-1 in the 77th minute.

10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    6 points needed from 7 games for promotion.

2 home games in the next week. Splendid.

11. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Really, you are going to post that list as some sort of criticism of Arsenal? Man City spends 202M ... 59M more than Arsenal and you are being critical of Arsenal? Man City should win everything. Look at what they are spending. Also, you can't just compare expenses, you have to look at revenue. You damned right Arsenal are doing it the right way, They are not in debt. They are competitive year after year, and hopefully the trophy drought will end in May. No one is claiming Arsenal aren't wealthy. They are certainly more wealthy now that the Emirates is paid for. The "Arsenal Way" doesn't mean everything, but it means something.

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You have so far missed the point that it isn't funny.

HardHatMike repped this.
  13. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since I missed it by so far, what was it exactly?

14. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This I do not disagree with. His best move in quite a few years has been a free transfer of a guy he was just going to let practice with the squad. Giroud turned out ok, and the jury is still out on Ozil. But there is an awful lot of dead weight in the wage bill.

15. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    That's the trouble, buy cheap, buy twice. I think Ozil will turn out to be a great signing, but why do they need him? When they bought him their midfield was their strongest position (albeit their injuries this season have been terrible). Forwards they have

Giroud
    Bendtner
    Sanogo

Giroud is ok, but he has been run into the ground, and Sanogo may have been good against Liverpool but he was out of his depth against Bayern. And the less said about Bendtner the better.

Ramsey was on fire, but would he have sustained it? I think the biggest loss this season was Walcott.

16. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Disagree with none of this. Needed to buy a forward. Failed to buy a forward. No chance at winning the title. We definitely miss Walcott on the wing. The Ozil signing was perplexing to me because we didn't really need him. We needed to sign someone of his reputation, but not at that position. Happy to have him and wish he would get his head back in the game, but it was an odd signing from a tactical perspective.

17. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barca get a 14 month transfer ban

18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Every team needs dual French wingers.

3 points needed. Could be promoted by noon tomorrow. Suddenly I am a Middlesbrough and Bournemouth fan.

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    YAY

20. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    We are doing our bit so far

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Just saw that score. I am hoping his first name is Michael.

22. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats, Welsh...

23. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Three huge points for Hull City today. See you next week in Wembley.

25. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    The west ham liverpool game is on CNBC starting at 10:30. I thought I would mention it as it did not appear on my scheduled recordings as I am not sure if EPL has been on CNBC before.