News: The 2013/14 Reds on loan thread (R)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LiverpoolFanatic, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    USvsIRELAND repped this.
  2. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Blade reporting in. Coady has been ok but not outstanding so far this season but is coming into his own as of late.

The thing is I'm not sure what kind of midfielder he'll develop into. He seems like a good egg and a real pro already but whether he'll develop the positional awareness and discipline to sit back defensively or become a box to box type I'm not sure.

All in all the best part of a weak central midfield, can we have him next season?

4. oikos

oikos Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Glastonbury, CT
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cheers for first-hand update.

As for his position, Liverpool does not want his being pigeon-holed into a specific type of midfielder but box to box is probably what he will end up as. He even played as a centre-half for the U18s and U21s!

6. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We have Victor Moses or hadn't you heard?

usscouse repped this.
  7. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Aspas, Moses and Coutinho would all be played in his position before Ibe.

8. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does it concern anyone else that Coady is about to turn 21 next week and is having an up and down year on loan @ a League One side? That to me raises a ton of doubt as to whether he'll ever make it for us...I just can't really see it.

9. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Not every player from the reserves has to make it. Coady has played regular football at 20 and will probably do so again next season. At the very worst he will leave in a couple of seasons for a nominal fee(200kish), he may even get to the level of a Spearing being a valuable squad member and leaving in a few years for a couple of million, a huge success for the acadamy.

He went to United this season and was put into the first team and then quickly dropped. It has been his hard work that has got himself back onto the pitch and it has paid off with him now adding goals to his game.

It's important to remember that Teixeira went on loan to Brentford and only came off the bench twice, yet that has no bearing on his Liverpool future.

Wingtips1, USvsIRELAND and liverbird repped this.
  10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Robinson sent off for Blackpool for a foul ... on Ibe! 3rd red card of the season :eek:

USvsIRELAND and aw072760 repped this.
  11. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack the Ripper Robinson. Get it sorted lad or you'll be playing out your career at Millwall or some such.

12. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Jack would excel with the Millwall Brick at this rate.

13. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankly, I'd be shocked if anyone ever thought Coady had a long-term future with us. He was a good player for the reserves but it's always been pretty clear that he'd ply his trade elsewhere, and as Pikas said, fetching a few hundred thousand for him would be a good deal for all parties involved.

14. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's wait and see. I think we're far too quick to label young players failures or successes. Three or four months ago, most would not have given Flanagan a chance at all. I wouldn't certainly have. Now look.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  15. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coady is only 21. Goodness some people expect everyone to be Messi at that age...

16. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Technically he doesn't appear to be a Liverpool player. He looks a little bit awkward sometimes in receiving a ball but he's working on his game. He kind of gives the impression of a decent league one player in the prime of his career.

If we weren't having our second worst season ever with all the disruption we might be talking about Coady being one of the stronger league one midfielders season. He could do a job in the Championship next season, certainly the season after without a doubt. He just doesn't seem to have the natural quality of a top four side.

Having said all that, it sounds like my initial impressions of Phil Jagielka when he first broke into our team in midfield (albeit aged 18) - good, solid, likeable and dependable but being realistic probably not destined for the England team. By age 21 I loved him, age 24 I rated him hugely, age 25 he moved to Everton, 26 won his first cap. Coady's not so far behind that trajectory.

17. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I remember that United team, I always thought Michale Brown would be the one to have the better career. Shows how much I know ;)

Red Bird repped this.
  18. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Same. He was the best player going and full of goals. Tottenham seemed to change him into a negative dirty little bugger. Only other player apparently better than Jags was Michael Tonge, who just inspired that whole season aged 20. So many games he was miles ahead of all others but lost his confidence forever after losing out on promotion.

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I still don't see Flanno as a long-term prospect for us. He'll be in the championship in a couple years.

20. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He'll be in the Champions League next year ;)

Red Bird, MetroChile, Cody667 and 4 others repped this.
  21. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    How much are you willing to bet on that?

22. kick96

kick96 Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    if he can keep his drive and work-rate, and up his game technically, I dare say you'll be proven wrong.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL

Certainly seems Reina has burnt his bridges with Buck.

25. LiverpoolFanatic

Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt either Reina or Mignolet would settle for being a number 2 anyway.