News: The 2013/14 Reds on loan thread (R)

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LiverpoolFanatic, Aug 31, 2013.

1. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Borini is younger and has shown well as a wide forward/wing for Sunderland. I wouldn't mind having him back. I would get what I could for Assaidi

USvsIRELAND, kick96 and Cody667 repped this.
  2. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #77 Cody667, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    They both play for teams that struggle to score goals. I think Borini would be extremely useful off the bench. He's full of energy, makes explosive runs, and has improved his finishing at Sunderland this year. He can play anywhere across the front 3, and has 5 goals and 2 assists in 24 appearances, only 8 of which have been for the full 90 minutes, and about half of them were as subs.

Remember, he's only 22, and at Liverpool he would be surrounded by more creative players. Last year was tough on him, and this year he has learned how to play in England. There's no need to bring in a bench striker if he already have him. We'd be better off replacing Aspas and Assaidi.

3. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I honestly don't see age as a factor as in all likelihood neither player will be here in 5 years time. Assiadi has a slightly higher mins to goal ratio in the Prem than Borini.

2 of Borini's goals have been from the spot, nothing wrong with that, but I doubt he'd be our spot kicker. Assiadi has 4 goals and an assist in all competitions. Has only made 20 appearances of which only 7 have been the full 90 minutes:p .

Neither will be making regular starts for us, both offer similar output, but one is on smaller wages.

4. kick96

kick96 Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'd be getting aspas out before I considered selling borini.

5. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Age will help in re sale later and age also means Borini may yet have more upside

Red Bird and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  6. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    ^This.

7. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We may not be banging down the door to sign Borini were he not already our player, but a loan spell is not always the fairest way to judge a player. Sunderland were an absolute mess when he first got there, and now that Poyet has restored some stability, Borini's started to shine.

There's a reason Rodgers wanted the guy. He's got a good pedigree, is showing signs of adapting to the league, and is still very young for a striker. After a great showing for the Italian U-21's this summer, a lot of us were expecting him to hit the ground running, and while that hasn't exactly happened, his recent form has shown something to be excited about. He just looks like a different player at the moment. We could do worse than have him as our #3/#4 striker next year, especially given Sturridge's injury record. I think there's a player in there and I'll be happy to see him in our side next year.

Wingtips1, MetroChile and kick96 repped this.
  8. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Fabio will be a good player for us. He's skillful, has a lot of passion, and a pretty good engine. Let's hop ehe can stay healthy and provide a yet another good attacking option for Buck.

9. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree-- he's young and there's more upside. I think whatever persuaded Rodgers to shell out the £10 million is beginning to show at Sunderland. He was unlucky with injuries and also the step-up to Liverpool, no disrespect to Swansea, is mentally more demanding; just ask Downing who has all the skill set to be a top, top player but was incapable of putting it altogether on a consistent basis.

kick96 repped this.
  10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ilori played quite well for Granada against Espanyol, and he does look the business actually: eye on the ball all the time.

Suso created a chance as Almeria beat Alético Madrid 2-0. A turn up for the form book, that result was!

Robinson created a chance for Blackpool in a 1-1 draw with Forest.

USvsIRELAND, MetroChile and liverbird repped this.
  11. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's the word on Robinson's loan spell in general? How has he played throughout?

12. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinson has picked up some reds/suspensions but from all accounts is doing very well.

13. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reds, as in plural?!

14. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    2 Reds, but you have to remember that this is was a Paul Ince managed team. He encourages aggression and Blackpool have the worst discipline in the division. The previous season at Wolves Robinson only picked up one yellow in 11 games.

He has done fine at Blackpool, but he will still be 20 at the beginning of next season so maybe another year on loan will further improve him.

15. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully to a premier league side next time though.

16. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  17. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was written in stone once we signed Migs and loaned pepe. Let's get some cash and use it.

LiverpoolFanatic and coachamurton repped this.
  19. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the actual quotes seem less dramatic (as they often do)

"
    Speaking to Marca, he said: 'I don't know where I'll be next year, but my plan is to enjoy this season and do a good job. Then I'll have to go to Liverpool and make a decision.

'They have to explain to me what their intentions are, but I'm not currently up to speed on all of the possible offers which might come in, because that's a job for my agent.'

'My future is here, in Italy, and we'll see what happens in June,' he added."

He isn't sure, the future (immediate future) is in Italy, and then he figures it out in June.

20. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Should be easy to sell him too. His wages are high, yes, but if Napoli doesn't bite, nor does any top club for that matter, a team like Leicester or QPR (if they come up) or Stoke (if they sell their near-world class keeper Begovic) will give us his worth (which is probably less than 10 million) and pay his high wages.

21. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt very seriously that Pepe would settle for a newly promoted team or the likes of Stoke. He wants to play in the Champion's League I imagine.

never walk alone TPK repped this.
  22. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I do think either Napoli or another CL club will take him, but I'm only saying if for some reason that doesn't happen, I think he'd go to a club like the aforementioned to be first choice before he settled for the Brad Jones role at Liverpool. It's more like a last resort.

23. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's a club out there who would take him, CL or Spanish, and the return's going to be slight... We want to sell, or at least clear the wages, and he's picky on who he wants to go to. I wouldn't plan on more than 5-6 for him, whether that's his value or not. You can get a good young keeper for that.

But for all that Pepe has done, and I really like him as a player, and he's got a place in the lore here, Mignolet has made a decent transition (better than I thought he might) and makes half of what Reina does.

It was a smart move by the club (might have overpaid a bit), and it should continue to be so as long as they handle Reina moving well.

24. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In La Liga Suso has the same amount of assists than Messi, more than Ronaldo, Pedro, Modric and Sanchez and one less than Bale and Neymar. For Almeria he has played on the right, left, CM and striker. This has been a great loan for the player.

25. kick96

kick96 Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Wouldn't be shocked if madrid or barca come chasing after him in a few years time. The amount of young talent we have in our pockets at the moment is almost frightening.