The 2012 US Presidential Race Post-Mortem

Discussion in 'Elections' started by American Brummie, Nov 7, 2012.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Following up on the media -

It greatly exaggerated the number of battleground states. Nevada +6, Iowa +6, Minnesota +8, PA +5, Wisconsin +7. Those were not close.

Also, Obama won the "toss-up" state of Colorado by more than Romney won his "lean" state of North Carolina, and Obama won the "toss-up" state of Virginia by as much as Romney won NC.

So the media coverage of those states was biased in favor of Republican projections. As was the notion that the popular vote being a coin flip. Obama won by a modest but solid 2.2 points.

The only areas where the coverage fairly stated Republican chances was in Ohio being close, and in Florida being neck and neck.

So let's be clear for the record. The "liberal" media sold the Republican viewpoint. It was not accurate and unbiased pre-election coverage.

tomwilhelm, taosjohn, charlie15 and 13 others repped this.
  2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't totally disagree with you, but in hindsight I'm not sure some of those states were considered that secure - and I'm not sure I really mind erring on the side of who knows. Way too much focusing on polls and who will win, in my opinion. I think we may need popular vote to make it a whole lot more uncertain.

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WINNER: empiricism

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Do elections need to be more uncertain?

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  6. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or they will get to see immigration reform and a push for the DREAM Act.

7. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Liberal partisans were invested in this narrative. The goal is to get out the vote. The idea is that complacency could result in a point or two loss which could of flipped Florida, Virginia and Florida.

8. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm not sure - I'm raising the question of whether it would be better if we didn't know with such certainty and if success weren't tied so closely to one or two states - whether we'd all do better about participating and being engaged in the process and the actual issues. When it's about one or two states, for most of us it becomes a football game where we are just cheering our guys strategy in certain markets as opposed to what he/she thinks is best for the country.

9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Good point, but it spoils my attempt at a joke.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't much care (I'm too relieved and, frankly, operating on too few hours sleep), but has the 'unskewed polls contingent' (Quayle et al) made any appearances on these boards in the last 24 hours?

11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're busy getting orders on how to start a "rich people throw a temper tantrum on the stock market" thread.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    A byproduct of this is that Ohio wasn't as critical as everyone (including Nate Silver) seemed to think. Two of Obama's other alternatives both turned out to be more comfortable, Colorado and Virginia.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    An added loser, then: the arts. One of the Koch brothers ponies up big for classical music, opera, and dance. Would've better spent his money there, IMO.

14. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    As a slightly related question, which candidate's policies would make it easier to write off the losses from owning a moneypit soccer team?

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  17. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to kiss and make up.

[​IMG]

18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd add Kid Rock to the loser list, but I don't really think he lost any standing.

charlie15 and Chris M. repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    That link is from back in April. More recently, he was saying things like

Oct 23: "The supposition that Ohio is the most important state in presidential elections is not always true ... But this year, all the clichés about Ohio are true."

Nov 1: "The argument we’re making [for Obama being ahead] is exceedingly simple. Here it is:

Obama’s ahead in Ohio."

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I think he's consistently said it's the tipping point and I don't think that's changed.

22. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Losers - The American people. Not because of the result yesterday, but because of what was discussed in the campaign, or more precisely what wasn't discussed and is now the new consensus. It's scary. I will save that for later.

Winners - Gay marriage (4-0) and drug legalization (2-1). So, that's something.

Sorta Winner - Gary Johnson. He got 1.0% of the popular vote, the most by a Libertarian in quite a while. Expect to see him again in 2016, though without the benefit of being in a couple Republican debates.

tomwilhelm and Neuwerld repped this.
  23. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This might be the first and last time I'm saying this, but I can cosign this post, at least until you get to whatever you're saving for later.

tomwilhelm and MasterShake29 repped this.
  24. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan