The 2012-13 Season Thread | The Tito Era begins!

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    easy to have a starting 11 who all spent time in La Masia - though without Alves, Villa, Alexis and Mascherano it might not be our ideal starting 11:

[​IMG]

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A little off topic, but as most you who live in the US probably know, La Liga is not going to be shown on GolTv and ESPND going forward. BeIn Sports, a Qatar based channel, has bought the rights for La Liga, Serie A and some other leagues for the US territory.

A lot of controversy is going on because they haven't really secured any deals for US distribution with the major carriers. Well ... today apparently DirecTV started showing BeIn Sport on one of their test channels. So it looks like they are close to a deal. There is also speculation that DirecTV will drop GolTV to make space for BeIn.

Personally I have cable and I don't live in a big metropolitan market, so I am a bit ticked off by this. It's like going back in time. What are you guys doing to get La Liga games this season ? Rojadirecta ?

inswinger repped this.
  3. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    More streaming, I guess. This really blows. What happens to Phil and Ray's commentary team?

Live TV streaming has been increasingly subject to crack downs, too. I suspect that the feds or whoever police this stuff are trolling forums like BS to shut down channels. I suggest we don't actually post links in match threads, but just PM them to each other if someone needs a stream.

4. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How scandalous :devilish::cool:

The feds have infiltrated BS!!!!

5. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I moved into a new place a few weeks back and still haven't ordered cable, almost entirely because I'm waiting for La Liga to start (at which point the compulsion to watch Barca games on GolTV on my nice television will kick in.)

But if the games aren't going to even be on cable... adios, cable. I can watch all the american sports down at the bar. :insert smiley with arms crossed:

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It usually happens around Super Bowl time.

Phil and Ray now work for beIN. They'll still be calling La Liga games.
    For now you can watch a live stream via their website:
    http://www.beinsport.tv/

inswinger repped this.
  8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Why can't they do like what most Americans do and just ignore football ? :p

inswinger repped this.
  9. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it definite that neither Comcast nor TWC is offering beIN Sports this season? If Qatar wants to make a lot of American friends, they could provide streams all year.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not yet. BeIn are being douchebags and not saying anything. Just that they are negotiating with multiple providers and leaving everyone in the dark.

But the thing about Cable providers is that the decision to carry a specific channel is up to your local provider. So even if TWC in NY gets the channel, doesn't mean I will get it in my region.

11. Henke

Henke Member

Feb 25, 2008
    La Côte
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Arab network breaking into the cable provider monopoly?...They'd have no problems in Europe but in the US, they are going to have to pay through the nose or they will never air

12. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    I didn't know what thread to ask this question exactly, but do you guys feel Dos Santos will regret not going to the olympics with the Mexican team?

13. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He was on the bench injured :p

14. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    if jonathan dos santos eventually carves out a place for himself in the first team this season, it will have had a lot to do with his preseason preparations (despite the injury halfway through), which was the whole reason for him turning down the olympics. if he never make it on the team, then yea he may look back one day and think the olympics might have done him more good than the preseason...who knows?

15. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  16. the one and only

Jul 15, 2011
    Let's be real here, that isn't going to happen. So i think he definitly should have gone to the olympics..

17. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hi, didn't really know which thread to push this, but: when is our turn to host the CL final? Obv can't know, but it seems to me that we should get it somewhere near future (if we want). This year it's Wembley (again - lame), then it's in Lisbon. I'd guess somewhere before 2020 surely. Just seems that as we've been such a central force the last years in CL that we should host it some year soon-ish, no? Obv Madrid's turn hurt delays our hosting rights a little one has to think, but with Wembley again and us having a big stadion and all..

18. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^^^ Given the history of how well clubs have performed in the Champions League knowing that their stadium would be hosting the final, I'd rather Camp Nou not host the darn thing. ;)
    But of note is your comment of "if we want". FCB went after the '99 final because the club celebrated their centenary that year. Since then I don't recall Camp Nou being a candidate venue. For all we know the board may not go after another CL final until the stadium is remodeled and those plans are not expected to resume under Rosell, let alone the financial crises.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be a funny sounding statement about a guy who's the three time WPOTY but I feel like Messi is primed for a huge year. No summer tourney to sap any energy before the season even started. In the Argentina - Germany friendly in which he captained, he looked completely at ease and supremely confident. Today he's scoring twice with effortless talent and instant menace as if he were a bully taking other kids' lunch money (© Ray Hudson). And drawing so much attention that the Sociedad defense leaves Pedro out on an island on that fourth goal.

Having said that, and since I'm a firm believer in jinxes, I still wouldn't mind if Tito rotated him out now and then. Not just for keeping Messi fit but to keep from being too Messi-centric as tended to happen sometimes the last few years. Seeing Iniesta and Villa doing work in the second half and getting that fifth goal is a good sign.

21. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I also see Messi having a great year, but believe that for his standards a great year means both Liga and CL, and those titles (esp. CL) demand a little luck as well, which we might or might not have. As for personal statistics/performances, I think he last season smacked in such stats/performances that if he stays fit the whole season, he might get to that same level or thereabouts, give one or two goals, but it's impossible to top that level really. I mean in last season club fixtures, he played 60 matches and got 73+29 which really is PlayStation stuff.

Dunno if he needs to be rotated, I guess a little to keep him fresh, but I also like that at least there are signs that others will have a good season as well. I think some people already counted Villa as a has been and also thought Pedro had "lost it". Too early to say, of course, but I think our other attackers are way better than we sometimes remember and the image of Messidependance is not because others are bad, but because Messi is that good.

22. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I wonder if Tito is maintaining the same policy vis-a-vis Messi as Pep. I believe Pep told Messi he can play and take himself out whenever he feels it. Xavi and Iniesta might have had the same privilege, but I think once Xavi's nagging injury became an issue Pep started making decisions for him again. Not sure if Tito is taking the same approach.

23. 35mmMessiah

35mmMessiah Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Canuckville
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Montserrat
    Hey guys! Nice to see everyone at the start of a new season… and what a surprise to see the one and only, no not Moudrinho, but Hendrixforpope. :)

I'm really up the creek with the whole Goltv/BeinSport thingy. :mad: Not available in Canada, who knows if it will be. Not the only problem though. Streaming is out of the question in the area of the Laurentians where our place is (dial-up internet = bummer). Although living in the city during the week now, still go up on weekends. If the match was later in the afternoon, this past season was heading to Montreal earlier to catch it at my mom's place, or stream it on the computer. Will no have to continue this madness, but only streaming will be available since Goltv will be of no use.

On another note… things are looking good, eh… Great start for Tito and the Gang. Watched the opening match at the Galician Bar in Montreal, which hosts the Barça matches. Not all is lost, but can't see myself heading out there each time.

inswinger, jfcule and Viscaelbarca repped this.
  24. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Josie! Glad to see you checking in. :)

This beIN thing is a drag but I'm still holding out hope that a TV deal gets worked out this season. And if not, we'll all manage. It still beats the days of usox tuning in to Radio Free Europe on the short wave looking for Barça match updates. ;)

35mmMessiah repped this.
  25. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hey Josie, I was just thinking of you! I'm going to be in Montreal Thursday-Monday, need a place to watch the games. There is a place right across from the hotel that advertises showing EPL matches...maybe I'll get lucky and catch the Supercopa and La Liga match there!

e: I see I won't be able to watch La Liga in Canada at all, but did find a place that'll show the Super Cup. Better than nothing...

35mmMessiah repped this.