The 2012-13 Season Thread | The Tito Era begins!

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    For stats nerds:
    1. What's the most Barca (or other team) has ever had a possession in a single match?
    2. What's Barca's record for passes without losing the ball?

I'd guess the record must be somewhere 80%, and the amount of passes somewhere around 70-80.

2. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    it would be interesting to look at how many times xavi had the pass before the actual assist.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only looked up one match and I'm all in with it.

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 4/28/2010
    MATCH STATS
    • Barcelona
    • Internazionale
    20(4) Shots (on goal) 1(0)
    20 Fouls 15
    9 Corner kicks 2
    4 Offsides 5
    86% Time of Possession 14%

:sick:

4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure I can do that -- because the rest of his post was spent arguing against a position I never adopted. I never once said anything about whether any of the players mentioned deserved the Ballon d'Or. That's why my post began with "minor nitpick" and not "I think your point of view is wrong."

5. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    New thread title suggestions
    Some are with the help of www.losmejorestweets.com.
    Nothing really catching but maybe these will inspire better suggestions.

"Messi gonna score, haters gonna hate"

"Schooling's in session"

"Poetry in Motion"

"Do what you want, where you want, how you want"

"As Barça plays, the plays are Barça"

6. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The "second assist" as in ice hockey. I would be curious to know the same thing. I'm sure it is often Xavi's pass that finds a player making a run who will cut the ball back to the goal scorer.

7. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Well, apparently, we had 89% possession at Celtic Park the other week.

[​IMG]

8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting 4 minute discussion with Sid Lowe, Martin Ainstein and Filippo Ricci on the transition from Pep Guardiola to Tito Vilanova in the current Barcelona squad, Tito getting more out of Cesc but more defensive negligence.

9. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think the biggest difference is that Tito's Barca doesn't press nearly as hard to get the ball back, and they're a bit more direct going forward when in possession. Also the tempo of passing isn't as high as it used to be

.Azulgrana. repped this.
  10. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How many goals does Ronaldo have this calander year?

11. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I dunno about this. I mean, seems equally fast/slow to me.

Anyway, whatever the differences, they're very minor. Fortunately.

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've also noticed this, and I'm not happy about it. Pressing high and hard immediately meant we generated turnovers often because the opponents weren't yet ready to move the ball to safety, and those turnovers tended to be in dangerous places. Now, our backline is called upon more often, and IMHO our backline isn't as good as the backline was in 2010-2011.

13. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing though is that more and more of our opponents are just ceding possession to us and clearing the ball into the channels rather than risk losing it through pressing (Though Cesc's fourth against Athletic came after a good press from Busquets). Our adjustment has been to become more direct and dangerous when in possession.

14. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    I wouldn't say our defense isn't as good as it once was. We've hardly had the opportunities to play our best ones because of injuries and constant health issues coming up. We've only played with Alves-Puyol-Pique-Alba twice this season I believe and it resulted in two clean sheets.

And I don't get why anyone would criticize that. Can't expect any manager that came in would have the team pressing as high as they were under Pep because no one is as dedicated in getting players' commitment to the club like Guardiola is and it's also a very high risk thing. Tito was the man right next to him for four years who was able to see what the team didn't do so well and correct it; he's done that so far.

MavadoDribblez repped this.
  15. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I, for one, am happy that we're not pressing as much as we did under Pep. It's a lot of hard work to do that consistently. Of course there were many factors for our fatigue last year, but one of them could have been the relentless pressing. Imagine a basketball team full court pressing all game, all year. Our defense was left without Puyol and Pique for the great majority of two months.

I think we've become more dangerous with the ball, with a more direct approach and Fabregas I think adds another layer to that directness. Iniesta, Messi and Fabregas are more direct than any of the other forward/midfield players. I also notice that Xavi has taken more shots from outside the box or at the top than in years previous. Even if we don't get teams to turn the ball over in dangerous positions we're still averaging a hefty goals for average.

16. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Also once we get Abidal back, it will be even stronger

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/barcelona-star-lionel-messi-i-want-1470244

Can you imagine Crissy saying something like that?

18. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States