The 2012-13 Season Thread Part 2 | Setting the record for setting records

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    That explains it for yesterday, but he hadn't played the previous two Liga games and had a terrible match in the Copa against Sevilla in midweek. Not looking so good for him here.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Since there is no Rivalry thread, I guess I have to post this here. A little Tuesday humor for everyone.

[​IMG]

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today the club announced agreements to renew 3 key players (actual signings will follow). Messi renewed through 2018 (he'll be just 31) and Xavi (32 now so approx 36 at end) and Puyol (34 / 38) each through 2016, presumably with the last season of those last two's contracts might be at club's option unless player plays a certain # of minutes the 2nd to last season (that's how Xavi's last one was). Yesterday Tello signed his renewal to 2016 as well. No word yet on raised buy out limits for any of these contracts, though I read that Tello's is just 10M (perhaps that goes up if/when he is promoted to first team).

Not sure who we need to resign next but here's what I found on transfermkt re current contract expirations before 2016:

Looks like 2013 expiring contracts are: Pinto, Muniesa and Abidal (with performance option to extend one year but performance won't be met though club could waive it); in 2014 VV, Villa, Bartra, Adriano (but looks like club has a 0ne year option to extend), and Montoya; in 2015 Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago, Alves, JDS, and Cuenca.

I know Gerard Deulofeu is a priority amongst our Barca B players but supposedly he's signed to 2014 as is Rafinha. Grimaldo expires in 2013 (and I don't think we can give him a full pro contract till he is 18 on Sept 20th of 2013), Dongou is similar but will be 18 on April 20th 2013 so we can sign him as an adult before his current contract ends in 2013. Also 2013 is Espinosa. Araujo (Boca) and Luis Alberto (Sevilla) are both on loan till 2013 and both have purchase options but not sure we exercise either.

One year ago we won the CWC over Santos. In the media thread I posted good highlights of that game.

NYfan repped this.
  4. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a great day for us Barca fans.

First Puyol, Xavi and Messi extend their contracts and just now I saw the news that Abidal got the medical clearance and will be able to play again!:)

Viscaelbarca and Gilmango repped this.
  5. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hope this new signing "Messi" doesn't turn out to be a dud. ;)

BocaFan repped this.
  6. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Lol.

Also, "Xavi" and "Puyol" might end up fine. Have a gut feeling they're gonna have nice careers in Barca.

7. .Azulgrana.

.Azulgrana. Red Card

Aug 2, 2012
    Muniesa needs to be signed to a new contract before the season is over. Wouldn't want to lose a talent like him for free, for sure. He could be Abidal's replacement who will probably hang up his boots after 2012/13. Great, great news to hear that he is able to play again.

Pinto is a good keeper but we need to find a better challenger for the #1 spot so I don't think we should renew anymore with him, but he has been a great servant for us for sure.

VV, Adriano, Bartra, Montoya, Pique, Busquets, Iniesta, Thiago...fully expecting these guys to sign new deals of course. Not sure how the situations of Villa and JDS will end up, hopefully they sign and end up staying but neither can surely be happy with their small amount of playing time so far this season. Cuenca will sign if he gets an offer from the club, but no one is sure if he's part of Tito's plans. We'll have wait and see how things go when he gets fit again.

With Adriano's form this season at rightback and Montoya's emergence, I don't mind if Alves is sold this summer really. But we'll have to sell him now in 2013 if we want to still be able to get 25-30M euros from any transfer deal with him. He isn't the same player anymore and probably needs a fresh challenge in his career, I can see Anzhi or PSG popping up with a big money offer for him.

Deulofeu, Rafinha, Grimaldo, and Dongou all obviously must be signed on. Not sure about Espinosa and how he's doing these days but maybe he should get a new deal too, pretty decent player when I watched him. Araujo is actually on loan for two seasons, not one Gil. He'll be here till 2014. Luis Alberto should definetly be signed, one of the best players in the B team so far this season.

Great to see Messi, Xavi, and Puyol sign on again. Wonderful servants who define this era of the club.

8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Contract expiration dates.

Abidal (age 33)
    Muniesa (21)
    Pinto (37)

Adriano (29)
    Montoya (23)
    Valdés (32)
    Vilanova

Afellay (29), currently on loan at Schalke
    Alves (32)
    Bartra (24)
    Busquets (26)
    Cuenca (24)
    Fontàs (25), currently on loan at Mallorca
    Iniesta (31)
    Jonathan (25)
    Piqué (28)
    Thiago (24)
    Villa (33)

*Alexis (27, non-EU)
    Fàbregas (29)
    Mascherano (32)
    Pedro (28)
    Puyol (38)
    Tello (24)
    Xavi (36)

Alba (28)
    Song (29)

Messi (31)

* La Liga clubs are each allowed 3 non-EU players on their squad.

puyol and Gilmango repped this.
  9. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I kinda assume with Txiki at Man City now, he's going to poach a few players from us. Maybe a first-teamer and a couple canteranos. It's the nature of the business. In any case, it's not like we're missing the likes of Gai Assulin either...

10. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Great article from Jonathan Wilson on the tactical trends of 2012, with Barça/Spain of course at the center of it.

11. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague

Tito Vilanova has a recession on his illness (tumor). Barcelona will give more information during the day

Damn!

12. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Horrible news.

All the best to Tito. As for Barca, hopefully we find a good substitute while Tito is away.

13. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I heard he stepped down...

Is this permanent? What's the story on this..

14. LondonCule

LondonCule Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Could this means Pep returns?

15. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What a horrible piece of news.:cry:

I just hope everything goes well with the operation and that he recovers well.

Football becomes so unimportant when things like this happens.

I'm in a shock mode. Can't really process this

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  17. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  18. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  19. Santista1962

Santista1962 Red Card

Sep 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Forza Tito!!!

Viscaelbarca repped this.
  20. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    what terrible news when things really couldn't have been going better... Let's not start chatting about whether Pep will come back as interim coach because this is still Tito's team as far as anyone knows. As it stands, Jordi Roura will head the team at Valladolid.

barcastuff:

Ánims, Tito!

21. Madrid_1902

Madrid_1902 Member+

Jul 6, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Here's hoping for a speedy recovery from Tito!

22. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh ********, this could ruin our treble now?

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    [​IMG]
    Football Sport is the last thing that should be on anyone's mind right about now.

Rojinegro1 and Rana catesbeiana repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    FYP. ;)
    Sport is second-last.

unclesox repped this.
  25. Rojinegro1

Rojinegro1 Member+

Jun 26, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Terrible news, hopefully the report is correct and he will be home by Christmas. His son apparently tweeted that everything should be fine, we all hope he's right.

EDIT: It looks like, after leaving the hospital, he will have six weeks of treatment; depending on how it goes, he may be able to return sooner rather than later. Apparently from an official source though I am just copying from a post on another forum.