The 2011 - 2012 Season Thread | "Return of the moc!"

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    From last April...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And from the Supercopa...

[​IMG]

2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Dani Alves suspended and Adriano now injured in practice with Brazil NT (hamstring, 7 - 10 days, likely misses Zaragoza and Milan, could be back for Getafe) the candidates to play RB against Milan:

Montoya - I'd love to see this but Pep has not yet gotten him garbage team minutes yet with the big squad. Need to see what he can do, show him there will be opportunities and then resign him.

JDS - Pep's new project seems to be making JDS into a more defensive player - perhaps realizing how crowded we are at attacking midfielder - Barca B has played him lots as a DM (with Romeu gone to Chelsea and Fontas to the big squad), and Pep has given him minutes at RB.

Maxwell - Most experienced as a defender/fullback but almost entirely as a LB. Played here last year once or twice and likened it to driving a car on the wrong side of the road. Nurillo posted video of that game and liked his performance so I'll need to look at that but I don't recall being too impressed.

Puyol - Used to play as Alves's backup, could definitely see this happening in Milan. Puyol - Pique - Masch - Abidal would be pretty formidable. But at this point in his career given age and injuries would probably be best to play him at CB exclusively. Could also play a 3 man D with 3 of the above, but against Milan and needing only a draw on the road that seems a bit risky.

Nice thing is that we have already qualified for elimination rounds but this double whammy of suspension and injury is nothing new for Pep in the CL. Will be interesting to see what he does.

3. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    i like the three-man defence against milan. milan does not play with a lot of width and they usually only have two forwards. TBH i'm more worried about the forward line than the defence now that adriano and alexis have new knocks from their international duties.

----villa-----cesc-----messi----
    -------------iniesta-------------
    ------thiago------xavi-----------
    -------------sergio--------------
    --abidal-----masch----pique--
    ---------------VV----------------

4. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4ZO9YGn3-E"]Ronaldo's reaction to Messi 2nd goal vs Real Madrid - YouTube[/ame]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Club World Cup 2011 (Yokohama, Japan):

December 15th (Semifinal):
    F.C.Barcelona vs Esperance(TUN)/Al Sadd(QAT)

December 18th (FINAL):
    F.C.Barcelona vs Santos(BRA)/Monterrey(MEX)/Auckland(NZL)/???(JPN)

6. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp :)

7. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I was reading that Guillem over at skysports was saying something along the lines that Barcelona are still trying to figure out how to use Fabregas to his maximum potential and it is hurting us a little right now. I agree that we're trying to figure out how to make him fit in with our system consistently. I don't think we're necessarily worse off for it. I know many of feel like he fits into the system quite well.

I suppose the main change from this year to last season (besides injuries) is that we play a 3-4-3 or a variant of a 3-4-3. Sometimes even for road matches. I think that tactical formation helps when we're at home, but away it leaves us too exposed especially when only one of (or neither) of Pique or Puyol is there. What do you all think? Is tinkering with our lineup to our own detrement? I see it as, it will pay off in the second half of the season. We can't let moudrid get further away though.

8. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    well we're still undefeated, so the tinkering must not be hurting us all that badly.

but also, don't forget that a lot of that tinkering has been forced on pep because of all the injuries this season. the first time (this season at least) that pep pulled out the 3-4-3 was against villa real because we were missing all three of dani, maxwell and adriano.

more than anything tactical, i think the lack of a good pre-season is what has hurt us more than anything this season

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the fact that our injuries are piling up in training is a big key also and I wonder if the two are connected: somehow a lack of a good pre-season means that our players aren't ready for the normal Barça training sessions and are more susceptible to picking up knocks.

10. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think the majority of the injuries have been of the hammie/quad strain type (the infamous 'rotura del biceps femoral' that keeps getting reported), which suggests that the players have come into the season with tighter, less conditioned muscles. I think Pep called out Piquè especially for showing up overweight and out of shape. (insert Shakira joke here)

11. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Tito Vilanova will not travel with the squad tomorrow as he recovers from a surgery as they removed a tumor found on his parotid gland, the largest of of the salivary glands! Pep announced the news to the squad today! Animo Tito!

12. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame Mou and his germ-y hands.

13. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Valencia CF have made a great gesture by wishing Tito Vilanova a quick recovery, on their website. Thank you Valencia CF!

14. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YAY, great news before Thanksgiving: Have a great one everyone!

Abidal: "Everything has been agreed upon. 2+1 years? Yes. I'm very happy, already told family and friends. The adventure at Barça continues"
    Like · · Share · 2 · A few seconds ago ·

Barcastuff
    Abidal: "My agent met with Barcelona today. It's now 90% sure I'll renew. Only the signature is left." [canal+ via @simobenchekroun]

15. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank heavens. He's so valuable as our frontline LB and sometimes CB and he's got plenty left in the tank.

And... I would really really miss him if he left.

16. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official: Jonathan Dos Santos extends his contract to 2015. Buyout clause is €30 million.

17. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    watching Revista this week, you'd think we were in complete disarray, it's so annoying. Messi and Villa...too much favouritism to Messi...Real are looking awesome...we're not playing well...blah blah blah. I can't wait for us to win this clasico and shut everyone up.

18. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    When you score 200 goals before your 25th birthday you will always be favoured. I think the media is just over-hyping everything again because they want to disrupt our squad. Villa does a lot for a team off the ball, he's been trying to stretch the defense out to the lines, but I feel he's not really that effective trying to cut in 90% of the time.

19. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I feel like Villa is very streaky too, he won't score for a while then he'll get a burst of goals again.

20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could say the same for Pedro... and Samu before them.

I have a feeling when we need them big in the CL, they won't disappoint.

21. FCBTEX

FCBTEX Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Frisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Said it before the season and I'll say it again: winning La Liga this year will be harder than ever. RM are hellbent on dethroning Barca

22. W.Lewin

W.Lewin Member

Aug 5, 2010
    We need Tito and Don Andrés back asap.

Puyi to start @ Bernab.

Rest the entire A team for the CL game.

23. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A security guard at my building is a Madridista and knows me as a fan of FCB. He's already trash talking like the league is wrapped up and wants to make bets for Dec 10th.

The way we're playing, I'm not sure I want to take a bet, but man they're cocky and it pisses me off... :mad:

I told him La Liga is a heavyweight title fight and we're the 3 time defending world champ..you ain't gonna knock us out in an early round like a punk :mad:

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They should have been doing that for the first 5 CL games too. I can't help but think that the hard fought win in Milan had something to do with a flat performance in Getafe just 3 days later. And that would be the second-time this season that Barca get a poor result in the league because the team gave priority to a CL game against Milan.

I'd rather be 1 point behind Madrid and second-place in the CL group than 6 points behind Madrid. :eek:

25. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I thought Pep was quoted as saying that he would be resting players ahead of the Madrid match just after the win over Milan. I didn't see the match against Getafe, but I read that the team was lacklustre, but judging from the highlights we had waaaaay more chances then they did. They must be tired from the Milan match but also traveling all around the world for internationals. Some of the players have played 55 matches plus easily each of the past three years. A small squad isn't going to be able to stay fresh forever.