The 2011 - 2012 Season Thread | "Return of the moc!"

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So what did people think of Rossell's most recent comments that La Liga should go to 16 teams and that in 5 years the TV money will be spread around equally?

2. NYfan

NYfan Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I thought the TV proposal (I forget the details but he was basically saying to share some equally and split others according to league position like done in the EPL) would be great for La Liga. I wonder how Florentino feels about it...

I don't have a strong feeling on shrinking to 16 teams. I like the idea of playing less games. The Bundesliga is 18 teams if I recall correctly so no reason all top leagues have to have 20.

3. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The 16 teams idea + sharing of TV money would be a double boon for the lower teams. Equal sharing of money with 4 less pieces of the pie to split out...

We'll see if/when it happens. I'm not against going to 18 or even 16 teams I guess. I'm thinking that would change how relegation works though, only 2 teams would go down probably. Wonder if it would change how many UCL spots La Liga gets though.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't agree with going to 16 teams. 30 game season is too short. Unnecessarily shot.

But obviously TV money should be spread around equally. The current allocation is an embarrassment.

5. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't want to get into the money debate again, but I do find the concept of shrinking the league a bit intriguing. Honestly football calendars are insane these days anyhow, no wonder players get injured so frequently.

6. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Re: will we ever see a British Asian football player in FC Barcelona

I've heard of a British kid, a Korean kid, and an American in La Masia. No Martians yet--maybe Messi.

7. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have to admit, I'm pretty racist against martians. I'll be damned if I continue to support a team that fields an amorphous blob/sentient cloud-being at let back!

8. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's no way those red planet types could score on a cold, wet night in Stoke.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But about 15 years ago the La Liga schedule was 42 games long. If we are going to trim games off the calendar, I would look elsewhere (like making Copa del Rey single-round elimination).

10. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Rosell lay out a plan or reasoning behind how decreasing La Liga to 18 teams would help out the lower teams in the league in 5 years time? Or is it just the simple math that 16 teams picking over the scraps left over for them by The Big Two would get slightly more than 18 teams.

11. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree, I love the league with its 20 teams! Reducing the games for the Copa del Rey to a single-round elimination would achieve two goals.

1. Less games to be played throughout the season.
    2. It will make the Copa del Rey itself more competitive! This would give smaller teams a bigger chance of advancing further in the Copa.

12. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The latter, I think. Less clubs there are, more money to go around for everyone. That, and he decried the foreign ownership that is about to invade Spain since there are "no clubs left to buy in England."

This guy is totally ethnocentric in a way that no other Catalans I've met both here and Barcelona are. He also said Barça will never kick off at noon local time just for a Chinese audience. Even though plenty of people in Madrid seemed to have no problem with a noon kickoff. Noon KO in August? Ok, I can see why not. What's the problem in October?

13. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is a very fair point. In principal I agree - I guess I'm just saying I wouldn't be horribly pissed at an 18 team Liga (it's not unprecedented, obviously). 16 seems too light.

14. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh huh. This from the guy who put Qatar Foundation on the front of the shirt. Once it's apparent how much €€€€ he's leaving on the table he'll change his tune. And he should, too.

15. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think it was Balague who said in last week's Revista that Rossell doesn't mind the early match kick-offs but publicly he is being politically astute... something to that effect.

16. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't believe I or anyone else has posted this, but if you visit Barcelona and go to the design megastore Vinçon on Passeig de Gràcia there is (was?) this awesome foosball table for sale:

[​IMG]

Barça vs. KISS (and some other randos)!

17. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^DO WANT^

Looks like it's one of those mini-tables that's missing a couple midfielders to accommodate the smaller size. They probably got these guys to model from:

[​IMG]

18. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    *bookmarks that place for future visits*

It would cost a fortune to ship back to the States but that is amazing!

19. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't know if it's still on sale--I saw it on my last visit a few years back, and I can't remember the price tag, but it must've been in the range of thousands of euros. Or else, I'd be rockin' this thing at home, no doubt.

Monty, looks like KISS went on a strict fitness regime to slim down before they took on the foosblaugrana. ;)

20. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought I posted pictures of this back in March. Mary and I saw it when we were there. It's, uh, NOT CHEAP. (3800 euros is the figure that sticks in my mind)

22. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Classico 1

December 10th 22:00, per SPORT.

Love Saturday games! 4PM east coast time...

23. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Any ideas, pictures and material for el clásico's thread are welcome!

24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I was hoping Sunday -- Mary and I might not make it to E&C for that one. We get back from San Francisco late the night before.

25. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oof. Well, as time draws near, let us know. Will probably hit E&C by 2PM that day to get a seat..