The 2011 - 2012 Season Thread | "Return of the moc!"

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool stat and dream finish but IF we are lucky enough to win CL this season I am certain it will not be by going 10-0-0 the rest of the way, especially with how brutal the Liga race is where draws are the new defeats, I am sure we will suffer draws (or even losses) in CL where we can actually afford it (after developing a lead in the first leg of a 2 leg tie, or in game 6 of group stage).

2. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah of course it's almost impossible to have a 10-0-0. We usually draw those away games later on in the tournament.

I just mentioned it because we have exactly 10 games to play if we reach the final.

Xavi should be able to top that list next season though.

3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Understood, did not mean to sound like 'big brother' we are on the same page.

4. hoss23

hoss23 Member

Mar 3, 2003
    And winning knockout games on the road is difficult. Well, outside of Madrid it's difficult.

5. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must spread rep. Damn, I must not spread it very far.

6. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Covered.;)

7. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tw Cesc: "I clearly want to deny that I have made some racist remark towards a player of Sevilla."

Moving on... why does the Sevilla bunker work so well against us? Why is it we either smash them to pieces or they eventually frustrate the crap out of us? Why? POR QUE??? ;)

8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EMD reports that 10 of the 50 FIFA Ballon d'Or nominees this year are Barcelona players: Alves Pique Puyol Abidal Xavi Iniesta Cesc Alexis Messi Villa

The official list of 50 nominees for the prize will be announced on November 1.

According to El Mundo Deportivo, the contenders for the Golden Ball will also include ten Barcelona players, namely defenders Gerard Pique, Carles Puyol, Eric Abidal and Daniel Alves, midfielders Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas, forwards Lionel Messi, Alexis Sanchez and David Villa.

The newspaper names a number of other players expected to appear on the list of nominees for the honor. They include Real Madrid keeper Iker Casillas and striker Cristiano Ronaldo, the Dutch Robin Van Persie who plays for Arsenal, Arjen Robben from Bavaria and Wesley Sneijder of Inter, the Englishman Wayne Rooney of Manchester United, Argentine Sergio Aguero of Manchester City and Uruguayan Luis Suarez from Liverpool.

The only Italian contender for the prize will be Udinese forward Antonio Di Natale, the club's official website confirms.

Lionel Messi got the prize for the best player in the world in 2009 and 2010.
    Three finalists will be named on December 5, and the awards ceremony will be held on January 9, 2012.

9. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Tw @sidlowe

10. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Pedro will be out for between 10 to 15 days. I guess that's not too bad since most people feared a serious injury.

EDIT: Now it is confirmed that he will be out for about 2-3 weeks. That will say that he won't be available for games against Mallorca (October 29th) and Athletic (6th of November - date to be confirmed), the Champions League game against FC Viktoria (1st of November) and the Spanish Cup match against Hospitalet, scheduled for November 9th.

11. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    ^ Alexis did some of his training with the squad today which is great news he is very close to be given the green light to play!

Puyol and Piqué trained with the squad and could play against Mallorca!

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since questions and updates about injuries come up so often, maybe it would make sense to have a stickied post at the top of the forum -- no replies in the thread, just one post, that gets edited periodically by mods -- with the current injury list and prognoses for return? Just a thought . . .

13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad idea for its own thread but the season thread seems fine for this most seasons, since we rarely seem to have this sort of flurry of injuries that we have so far this young season.

The way I see it our first meaningful match after the next international break will be the CdR on November 17th (but we'll play many subs and B teamers) then hosting Zaragoza on November 20th. By the time of those matches, barring any Fifa viruses/injuries, we will have our entire squad back and ready to play save for Ibri Affelay.

Puyol and Pique may be ready to play again this weekend. Just hope Del Bosque does not play them too much in friendlies now that Euro qualification is all done (Spain first plays in England vs. England then host Costa Rica).

Alexis Sanchez should be ready by Bilbao, though it might be tempting to not play him till after the International break if that would keep Chile from flying him to Uruguay and Chile to play Uruguay and Paraguay. But I think Chile will make him join them just like France did with Abidal this past break.

Even Pedro will be healed by then in even the gloomiest forecast (3 weeks) and he'll be spared the Fifa friendly call up.

Jonathan Soriano should also be all healed and ready to score some goals for the B team and be a better emergency option for the first team up front, albeit one who might not have a real future with the first team (i.e., better than Cuenca, Tello and Deulofeu now but with less long term prospects).

So that would just leave Affelay out till March or April.

14. atljogger

atljogger New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Where are the goals?

Anyone worried about Real Madrid these days? They're looking dangerous with Higuain, Benzema, Ronaldo, Kaka all in form and scoring goals. RM has outscored Barca 15 to 5 in the last four league games.

Barca need to start taking more chances in front of goal. They've been frustrating to wach lately - so much possession yet very few good scoring opportunities. We need another striker to bring on for Villa late in games when he's not playing well. The Pedro injury wont help.

Can't wait for December 11...

15. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Where are the goals?

Please discuss such arguments/ideas in the Season Thread. And do not start new threads.Thanks.

Threads merged.

To answer your concerns, I think it is just a dry patch that will be passed. We have become spoilt by this side that even a 1-0 away win is not enough for us. We have been unlucky with injuries and I am sure that with the return of Sánchez and Fàbregas, things will be different.

16. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed, we have actually been creating plenty of chances, even though we moved the ball slowly in the last game, we have encountered packed defenses, hot goal keeping, and hit the post and crossbar countless times too in the last few games. No reason to worry. Beckenbauer said it best the other day, paraphrasing, 'our fans are so spoiled that they complain after victories if the goals were not multiple and the passing less than spectacular.'

As for Real Madrid who cares, we have 87 points left to play for, if we play like we can we can beat any team and claim enough of those points to win La Liga again. Any improvement by Real just serves as further motivation for our team - and that is a blessing for a team that has won as much as this team has in 3.25 seasons under Pep.

Also, as you pointed out, we have been less lucky with injuries than we have in past years and than our competitors have been.

17. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Story from SPORT (total speculation of course): We could leverage our sale of Ibra to Milan, for which the Italians have paid 0 of the 24m euros they owe us, to get a good deal on Thiago Silva. Wishful thinking maybe, but if Milan are short on cash and we need a good CB...

18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Saw that rumor as well, certainly if we had to take a Milan player in lieu of cash, TS would be the one, quality and fills a bit of a need.

BUT first, I thought Milan had in fact made the first payment as it was due July 1st of this year? There were reports to that effect as well as ones suggesting that if they failed to pay they'd be taken up with FIFA/UEFA and could even miss out on CL for failing a major contractual/financial obligation.

And second, I am not sure we really need a CB, look how few goals we've given up with Abidal and Masch there, and now Pique and Puyol are healthy again. With Thiago we'd be a stronger club and better able to weather injuries but we have 4 capable CBs already plus Fontas, Bartra, Muniesa, etc. in the cantera.

19. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

yea i agree with you about us being ok at CB for now.

but there are still some serious questions surounding puyol's fitness, and abidal's contract has not yet been renewed, and both are ageing and slowing.

so it makes a lot of sense to be looking around and Tiago Silva would be a better fit than anyone i can think of.

also, if this deal worked out then it would at least take some of the edge off the whole zlatan transfer fiasco.

20. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

By all accounts, rumors of other teams' interest aside, Abidal wants to not only re-sign with Barca but also retire here. He does want to sign for 2 more years beyond this one - which seems to be a bigger sticking point than salary. Barca would prefer 1 year plus a 1 year option (or option earned by player with specified PT in prior year). Abidal is correct to want that, he has give mucho to this club and, if we decide to side Jordi Alba and/or Tiago Silva or Hummels or any number or possible CB or LB reinforcements he doesn't want to lose PT AND $.

Personally, I much prefer the Jordi Alba rumors, he'll be out of contract in summer, sign for free on a Bosman (or way reduced fee in January just so Valencia can recoup something), he'll team with Adriano at LB, allow Abidal to do almost entirely CB. Just an all around cheaper alternative. Milan has the $ to pay for Ibra they need to cut the check if they have not already done so. (not saying Tiago would not be great, just saying we are OK).

21. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

i don't see abidal leaving either. puyol is the one i'm worried about.

IF puyol comes back strong and fontas starts earning some playing time, then we're well covered at CB for the next few years.

22. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Here is a somewhat funny gallery that shows up on the Guardian website. Its basically photoshopped pictures about a particular team or player sent in by footy fans. While some I don't find funny, there are a few that would warrant a smile or chuckle (source: The Guardian website).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/gallery/2011/oct/25/the-gallery-pep-guardiola-barcelona

An interesting article from Phil Ball over at EPSN from a couple of weeks ago (source ESPN website): http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story/_/id/970499/phil-ball:-media-punta-power?cc=5901

Check out who is number 8 on this list (source: Football Pantheon website): http://footballpantheon.com/2011/09/the-100-greatest-players-of-all-time/

I had seen this one a long time ago, but I didn't remember to link it here for you all to read. We can discuss any of the above if you want.

23. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

according to Barcastuff, Deulofeu was the 21st homegrown player to make their first-team debut since Guardiola took over. that's crazy...

Busquets
    Pique
    Pedro
    Thiago
    Cesc :)
    Cuenca
    Deulofeu
    Nolito
    Sergi Roberto
    JDS
    Fontas
    Montoya
    Bartra
    Muniesa

who else?

24. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Here is the list of 20 players from Marca (I added Fabregas)

Fàbregas, Deulofeu, Busquets, Thiago, Fontás, Muniesa, Cuenca, Bartra, Dos Santos, Jonathan Soriano, Sergi Roberto, Martín Montoya, Miño, Sergi Gómez, Botía, Abraham, Xavi Torres. Gai Assulin, Nolito y Oriol Romeu.

25. Omideyi

Omideyi Member

Dec 13, 2004
    London
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

ok looks like I was wrong on Pedro. does/should Soriano count as homegrown?