The 2011 - 2012 Season Thread | "Return of the moc!"

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing some weird shit attributed to Bojan in the media. First off he is publishing a book about his time in Barca, wtf dude you are 20 years old or so. Second he complained that no matter how hard he worked he could not impress Pep, did not know what to say to Pep, would not come back to Barca now if Pep called, and knew his time was over when he was not subbed in at Wembley after we went ahead 3-1. (from BarcaStuff on facebook / twitter see below).

So this caused me to look up who we did sub on at Wembley. Keita in the 86th minutue for Villa - makes perfect sense Keita played more matches for us than anyone and even a fine tactical sub with a lead to protect; Puyol in the 88th minute, for Alves, naturally want to get our captain on after all his injury struggles; and, the one that hurts poor Bojan, Affelay in the 90th minute for Pedro. But seriously Bojan, was it not already clear that Affelay was better than you almost from the start of his mid-season arrival - sorry that "snub" hurt but ?

What worries me about Bojan's rants is that he always seemed to be a "good soldier" despite his lack of PT but now is venting. What is Worse is that he does come back to us in June 2013 with a fat contract too, so stfu Bojan, please. Focus on setting Serie A on fire not whining.

Bojan (Roma): "If Guardiola calls me now I would not go back to Barcelona," [tv3]Bojan: "I spent a long time without speaking to Guardiola. I could not find the right words when I used to see him." [tv3]Bojan: "I do not think I got what I deserved there."Bojan: "I decided I would leave Barcelona on the night of the Champions League final against Manchester United in May."Bojan: "I knew I would not be a starter for Barcelona. Even when we were 3-1 up at Wembley, the coach did not play me. From that moment I knew he did not count on me."
    AS Roma player Bojan Krkic, at Barcelona until last summer, will on 1 December publish a book entitled "El meu Barça" (My Barça). [ona fm]

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man. I've been a real defender of his, too. Bleh.

3. b4rcelona

b4rcelona Member

May 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    i think he should just concentrate on trying to actually do good for roma, instead of writing books and talking about how he coulnt make it here etc. He got plenty chances and just wasnt doing good. I hope he realises that.

4. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eto'o is so much more of a professional than Bojan; more so than Ibra too.

5. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    If he really starts shit like that, well he can stay at Roma for all I care.

Speaking of Bojan: according to Sport, who reference a "Diari Segre", Bojan Krkic and Messi are distant cousins. Apparently their great-great grandparents where brothers.

Family tree image:
    [​IMG]
    http://yfrog.com/h8p3mwbj

6. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately Roma won't want him in 2 years, since we have to pay something like 13 million Euros to get him back AND his contract more than doubles in terms of yearly pay. No, we really stuck ourselves with him coming back and not at our option. I think it was all driven by "financial fair play" regs coupled with our desire to sign Cesc and Alexis this year - which threw our finances off but for this fancy but short-sighted move.

In other news Abidal said he preferred not to discuss how he felt after playing for France, lest Pep get mad. So maybe Adriano gets the start, which is tough since Del Bosque started both Pique and Puyol. Maybe a 3-4-3 with Alves-Masch-Adriano - sounds super dangerous...

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alves should certainly be rested after his red card last night.

Maybe one of Puyol/Pique can go? I hate the idea of committing a substitution before the match has started, though.

8. MavadoDribblez

MavadoDribblez Member+

Feb 7, 2008
    Ontario
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I saw on the front of one of the Catalan sports newspapers that Bojan had spoke out against Pep. Afellay was clearly better than Bojan in the last half of the season. I was backing Bojan the whole way through, and to his credit he said all the right things when he was here. So he has some professionalism, I get that he's young....but to speak about against Pep knowing that you're most likely coming back? Dumb move.

This is what I don't get. Don't say anything negative, how hard of a concept is that to understand? Some of the youngsters (not just at Barca but in world football) believe that because they had/have a lot of hype around them when their on their way to the first team.... that they are entitled to things they don't deserve. Why would he even fathom he would get in as a sub at Wembley? I guess he didn't pay attention to the cautionary tale of GDS because he was on the upswing at the time. For those who don't know, GDS was quite the talent at La Masia and had all the hype. Then he wanted more money? More playing time? Based on what? Now, who can name all the teams that GDS has played for since he left? I think the same thing will happen to Bojan, unfortunately. He just needs to hush his mouth, put his head down and play well.

Edit: How is GDS doing? I want him to do well, because he had a lot of talent. I wonder how it would have turned out if he stayed and Bojan went? Not like it was going to happen, but who knows what might have happened?

9. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very well for El Tri, not so well for his club. He's coming off the bench as a late sub for Tottenham most games; some games he doesn't make it in.

10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best thing about GDS or Gio 2 Saints is that he realizes what he had and lost and has warned JDS not to get restless.

11. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tottenham is a bad place for Gio. He needs to play wide in a front 3. Roma would actually be a good team for him.

On Bojan, I don't think he was ever coming back with Guardiola as coach, regardless of what he says or doesn't say to the press. We'll be shopping him to a new club in two years or re-negotiating the deal with Roma.

12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may well be correct that he never plays for Barca again, especially if Pep is still with us (knock on wood), and becomes more true when Bojan runs his mouth.

But the real trouble is his salary, I think he took a pay cut to fit Roma's (lower) salary structure so he gets about 2-2.5MM/year with them for two years but then his salary sky rockets to 5.5MM or so/year right when we are required to buy him back for 13MM (for 2013/14 onward). So basically, unless Bojan grows into that salary with stellar performances for Roma (or agrees to take a pay cut), we are stuck with another overpaid player who was deemed a failure at Barca and we either have to loan him out and pay part of his salary, or let him sign with another club for very little transfer fee as the money that would've gone for a transfer fee for him is instead going to the player's high salary.

This is the same reason we have had trouble finding anyone to actually pay us a transfer fee for Hleb, Henrique or Keirrison (and while Caceres was sold it was at a huge loss). Their Barca inked salaries are excessive relative to their performance.

So I really rooted for Bojan while he was here, thought he was a good kid, still had potential, was a great 5th forward to have on the bench. Heck he outplayed Zlatan in Barca's system and scored the goal that let us beat Inter in the semis - but for it being called back for Yaya's handball. But his talking combined with the mandatory buyback and huge salary are setting the stage for a real shitstorm in 2 years. I could literally see us paying Roma 13MM for him then letting him go to Roma for free provided that they pay 100% of his higher salary. Not exactly a good piece of business if that transpires.

13. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    1/16 finals Copa del Rey:

November 9th: L'Hospitalet vs Barcelona
    November 21st: Barcelona vs L'Hospitalet

Hem tingut bona sort al sorteig.

14. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the travel won't be too demanding!

15. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alternate view on Bojan running his mouth.
    http://elcentrocampista.com/?p=3759

16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm guessing this should say December 21 as all second leg ties are being played on that day. (November 21 looks to be bad timing as well.)

First legs for all Copa ties are on December 13, but Barcelona's game has to be brought forward because they will be in Japan. (The second leg will hopefully be a joyous homecoming from Yokohama). The November 9th first leg date virtually guarantees that none of Barca's big names will be involved due to national team commitments that week.
    And fwiw (off-thread topic), the first legs of the games involving Atlético Madrid (v Albacete) and Athletic Bilbao (v Real Oviedo) are also being brought forward, to December 8th, due to their participation in the Europa League.

Calendario update...

OCTOBER
    Sat 15: J8 (H) Racing
    .. Wed 19: UCL-M3 (H) Viktoria Plzen
    Sun 23: J9 (H) Sevilla
    .. Wed 26: J10 (A) Granada
    Sat 29: J11 (H) Mallorca

NOVEMBER
    .. Tue 1: UCL-M4 (A) Viktoria Plzen
    Sun 6: J12 (A) Athletic Bilbao
    .. Wed 9: CdR-16th1 (A) L'Hospitalet
    Sat 12: FIFA international calendar date
    .. Tue 15: FIFA international calendar date
    Sat 19: J13 (H) Zaragoza
    .. Wed 23: UCL-M5 (A) AC Milan
    Sun 27: J14 (A) Getafe
    .. Tue/Wed 29/30: J17 (H) Rayo Vallecano

DECEMBER
    Sat 3: J15 (H) Levante
    .. Tue 6: UCL-M6 (H) BATE Borisov
    Sat 10: J16 (A) Real Madrid
    .. Thur 15: FIFACWC-Sf in Japan
    Sun 18: FIFACWC-3rdP/Final in Japan
    .. Wed 21: CdR-16th2 (H) L'Hospitalet
    Winter break - International friendly: Catalunya v ?

17. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  18. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that is indeed a different view (and seemingly the correct one) and is much more in keeping with Bojan's previous actions as a good soldier in what was obviously a tough situation -- injuries, lack of PT, Affelay replacing him as first choice forward sub. Glad to read the truth and sorry for my part in repeating what the headline making journalists stated.

That said, I still do have grave concerns about Bojan's ability to succeed at Barca and thus about his crazy contract situation, all of which I outlined in the rest of that post.

One of the most remarkable facets of the Bojan story is how he emerged in the year of 'the fantastic four' - the year that Henry was added to the stacked forward lineup of Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Messi. And yet, due to injuries, and IIRC the African Cup of Nations, and Ezquerro being past it, both Bojan and GDS got significant PT as teenagers. Then Pep came in and Ronaldinho and GDS and Ezquerro were ousted, along with others but those were the forwards who left. And yet Bojan never saw as much PT ever again, even as Eto'o left, Ibra came and left, Villa finally arrived, Pedro emerged from the B team (a tough one for Bojan), and then injuries, playing Iniesta out of place, and a cheap midseason transfer - Affelay - all managed to mean that Bojan never again saw the PT he did as a 16 and 17 y.o. playing and scoring goals amidst 4 of the biggest superstar forwards of the era.

19. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contract rundown for first teamers after Fontas renewal:

Expiring contracts
    2012 Abidal Pinto
    2013 Maxwell Puyol
    2014 Adriano Keita Mascherano Valdes Villa
    2015 Afellay Alves Busquets Fontas Iniesta Pique Thiago
    2016 Alexis Cesc Messi Pedro Xavi via BarcaStuff [via el periodico]

Abidal is on record that he will renew, the difference appears to be whether he gets 2 years guaranteed, or 1+1 where the 2nd year is only guaranteed if he plays enough in the first year.

Pinto will likely sign another 1 year contract with us IF we don't sign a younger keeper who is ready to immediately be Valdes's apprentice. We seem to be scouting many, but some we'd like to bring up via the B team.

Maxwell probably is not resigned after next season.

Puyol, if he is spared further bad injuries (which might lead to him retiring) will likely be re-signed with the same sort of issue as Abidal (e.g., Barca would prefer a 1+1 year renewal and he'd prefer 2 full years guaranteed).

Among our B teamers over half expire at year end including the highly sought after Montoya, Bartra, Muniesa and JDS, Planas, Cuenca, Riverola. Negotiations are underway to sign Montoya but PT could be the real issue as Alves is in front of him.

Per transfermarket's website, Sergi Roberto and Rodri are the only B teamers signed to 2015; Kiko, Espinosa, and Deulofeu are the only ones signed to 2014 (though Deulofeu could perhaps still be poached based on age?), and Rafinha, Sergi Gomez, Carmona, Tello, Masip, Rosell and Lobato are signed to 2013.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/fc-barcelona-b/startseite/verein_2464.html

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw a stat on twitter that Xavi has the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd games in the CL with Most Completed Passes. He's played three games...

22. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island

just this season?

23. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Career CL stats are probably mind blowing.

24. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  25. Imperador3

Imperador3 Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Most Champions League games won: Raul 79 - Xavi 69 - Giggs 68 #fcblive

If we win the CL by winning all the games he will equal the record this season :D