The 2011 - 2012 Season Thread | "Return of the moc!"

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by os_mutante, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    If it's a torn Acl it's 6. Xavi was the last Barca player to have this injury, right? Or possibly Eto'o, I forget what his was.

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought. But Affelay himself says "a month or two" in that quote above; so I'm hoping like hell he's got it right.

3. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I guess he said that eight months ago, probably about his previous injury? Yeah, it's going to be six months. I just hope he keeps a positive attitude.

According to this Goal.com article, this is what happened in training:

4. maximus0723

maximus0723 New Member

May 3, 2011
    ACL is season ending anyway you look at it.

5. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If/when Puyol and Pique are fully fit, what do you guys think our primary lineup/formation is going to be--or will it just keep changing every game?

To me, it looks like Cesc as an "anarchic" enganche is going to be a permanent feature of the team (or, if not permanent, it's going to be more common than our classic 4-3-3). So the question is whether we stick with 3 at the back as we have been or take off one of the attackers?

Also, Pep seems to love Masch. Do you think he gets the nod over Puyol when the latter is fully fit?

6. maximus0723

maximus0723 New Member

May 3, 2011
    He is pretty much out for the season. Knee ligament injuries take long time to heal.

7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how long the seasons are he may well come back and help us this year. This is what Pep said:

Questions arose if he’d look to sign a player in the winter transfer window to cover the long absence of Afellay who is out for at least six months because of a knee injury. Said Guardiola, “We have B Team players who can do very well,” said Guardiola. Showcasing faith in the Dutch midfielder and appearing optimistic of his recovery, he added, ”We understand that from February or March he’ll be back with us.”

Read more: http://www.totalbarca.com/2011/news/guardiola-we-played-at-a-very-high-level/#ixzz1Z6Wi3wJM

I think that Xavi was the last Barca player to tear his ACL and he played again that same season though sparingly. This was 2006 and is the reason he did not start against Arsenal in the CL final. Xavi tore his ACL in early December 2005 and was playing again 5 months later in April 2006. Despite coming back from the injury he still was selected to play with La Furia Roja in Germany at the world cup where he played in all 4 games and started 3.

Ibri will definitely want to come back just as quickly and in time to participate in Poland/Ukraine European Championships.

8. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The True Weight of "Dri-Fit" Nike jerseys

I always thought that for the past two seasons our Barca jerseys looked almost like shiny plastic when they get wet with sweat. It looked aesthetically ugly and a bit uncomfortable, it also made them seem to cling more. Turns out the problem is far worse - the jerseys which are supposed to wick the sweat away from the player - are actually carrying over 10 oz. of sweat (300 grams). Here's the article for Total Barca - sounds like Nike has promised a solution within a couple weeks:

http://www.totalbarca.com/2011/news/the-barca-jerserys-true-weight/

9. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this just a problem for the last two shirts? I have older Barça shirts with the wick weave and they do a damn good job of keeping your skin dry. Even if the outer part is wet to the touch.

10. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of conjecture, but worrisome nonetheless. I don't put any real stock in the last few paragraphs about the threat to Messi because there's just too many "maybe"s to get there. But I can see disagreement with Rosell being another reason for Pep to decide to go. Which would be bad.

11. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This was written two days ago. Yesterday, Rossell and Zubi went to the training ground in Dinamo and cleared the air between the two and Rossell even instructed the board to pressure the Socio who filed the case to drop the condition that each member of the previous board has to pay 2.9 million by a certain date otherwise....

12. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My greatest fear is that Man City will come in for Pep, offering him an open checkbook and complete control over transfers. My second greatest fear is that some of our players would follow him.

13. FCBTEX

FCBTEX Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Frisco
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great now Fab is out for 3 weeks as well.

14. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    I wouldn't worry about that. Too much of a sense of place with the career Barca guys. It's way more likely to be Mourinho and some of the Madrid players going to City.

15. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    when pep does eventually leave it will not be because of a big money offer elsewhere. it will be a decision based solely on what is happening in the camp nou.

16. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another training ground mishap. :rolleyes:

17. PhiloBarca

PhiloBarca Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not so much that they would offer him a big salary. It's that they would offer him a chance to build the club from the ground up in the way he wants. I think it would be an attractive challenge to him to try to build a
    Barcelona in England, where no one believes it's possible. But I do agree that there would have to be problems here first. . .

18. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I heard on the news that they just took Afellay into the OR to repair his torn ACL.

Get well soon, Ibi!

[​IMG]

19. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cugat says 6 months before Afellay will be ready.

20. Viscaelbarca

Viscaelbarca Moderator
    Staff Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 31, 2007
    MELT01
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Andrés Iniesta declared fit!

http://www.fcbarcelona.com/web/english/noticies/futbol/temporada11-12/10/04/n111004119572.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG6vS1QfIwg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]FC Barcelona - Andrés Iniesta recibe el alta médica - YouTube[/ame]

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent! Just in time... for Spain. :eek:

Joking aside, it's good to see him come off the injured list with no delays.

22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Iniesta is actually a week early - 3 weeks instead of 4. Hopefully Alexis and Affelay are too.

Iniesta has not been called up to join Spain (Pique and Puyol have, plus Valdes, Busquets, Xavi, Thiago, Villa and Pedro). No call up for Montoya this time, nor for Botia. Jordi Alba is the big new name called up (Valencia defender).

However, Abidal has been called up for France and a war of words is going on in the media about this. Barca medicos wanted him to stay home and rest for 7-10 days but French medicos said he may be ready for the 2nd game.

Goalkeepers:

Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Pepe Reina (Liverpool), Víctor Valdés (Barcelona)

Defenders:

Álvaro Arbeloa, Raul Albiol, Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Carles Puyol, Gerard Piqué (Barcelona), Jordi Alba (Valencia)

Midfielders:

Sergio Busquets, Cesc Fábregas, Xavi, Thiago (Barcelona), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Santi Cazorla (Malaga), Javi Martínez (Athletic Bilbao), Juan Mata (Chelsea), David Silva (Man City)

Attackers:

Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Álvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Pedro Rodriguez, David Villa (Barcelona), Fernando Torres (Chelsea)

23. manyfaces

manyfaces Member

Feb 4, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to twitter, Villa apparently just withdrew as an injury precaution...

24. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OOPs just responded to a post on the last match thread that surely belongs here.

Good news - Mourinho finally suspended for super copa incident from over a month and a half ago.

Bad news - I cannot believe they gave him a 2 game suspension for unprovoked eye gouging from behind, and Tito a 1 game suspension (for reacting with a push), and the same 600 Euro chump change fine.

What Mou did (and instigated) was so far beyond Tito's response. But I suppose this is better than the nothing that they planned to do till the uproar was too great.

25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And apparently the two games for which he's suspended are SuperCopa games (finals)? Which might as well be no punishment at all.