The 2009-2010 NBA Regular Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by CIA, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    He has a point, no doubt, and he's clearly worried about the Cavs keeping an extra big to somehwat cancel out the length advantage the Lakers enjoy over the rest of the league.

Z and Shaq, even though they're stiffs, are long and can at least make Gasol and Bynum work.

But my point is that the Lakers picked up Pau Gasol for a couple stiffs and a bag of potato chips. Now if Marc Gasol continues to improve maybe history is a little kinder to that trade, but for now Gasol to the Lakers is the gold standard of higway robbery in the NBA. So Phil, like he so often does, is just being a whiny hypocrite.

2. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who? With all the teams with cap space this summer, who can they get? All the other free agents who are any good will sign with the other teams with space or stay where they are. I don't see how they can fill that roster and make them contenders. If they sign Bosh and James to max contracts they'll have zero cap space left to sign anyone good. That means Lee is gone as well. So they'll have the mid level and minimums to throw at people.

Look at this list and give me 8 guys they can get that would make them contenders. Current roster is: Eddy Curry, Danilo Ganillari, Sergio Rodriguez, Wilson Chandler, Toney Douglas, LeBron James, Chris Bosh.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
    Jason Collins
    Maurice Evans (P)
    Joe Johnson
    Randolph Morris
    Joe Smith
    Ray Allen
    Tony Allen
    Marquis Daniels
    Paul Pierce (ETO)
    Nate Robinson
    Brian Scalabrine
    Shelden Williams
    Tyson Chandler (ETO)
    Raymond Felton
    Stephen Graham
    Nazr Mohammed (ETO)
    Theo Ratliff
    Joe Alexander
    Devin Brown
    Acie Law
    Lindsey Hunter
    Jerome James
    Brad Miller
    Ronald Murray
    Jannero Pargo
    Hakim Warrick
    LeBron James (P)
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Leon Powe (T)
    Sebastian Telfair (P)
    J.J. Barea (T)
    Brendan Haywood
    Dirk Nowitzki (ETO)
    DeShawn Stevenson (P)
    Tim Thomas
    Malik Allen
    Anthony Carter
    Joey Graham
    Kenyon Martin (ETO)
    Johan Petro
    Kwame Brown
    Ben Wallace
    Chris Wilcox (P)
    Kelenna Azubuike (P)
    Raja Bell
    Devean George
    Vladimir Radmanovic (ETO)
    Brian Cook
    Chuck Hayes (T)
    Jared Jeffries (ETO)
    Yao Ming (ETO)
    Travis Diener
    T.J. Ford (P)
    Luther Head
    Earl Watson
    Steve Blake
    Rasual Butler
    Drew Gooden
    Steve Novak
    Travis Outlaw
    Brian Skinner
    Craig Smith
    Shannon Brown (P)
    Kobe Bryant (P)
    Derek Fisher
    D.J. Mbenga
    Josh Powell
    Steven Hunter
    Jamaal Tinsley
    Marcus Williams
    Rafer Alston
    Carlos Arroyo
    Yakhouba Diawara
    Udonis Haslem
    Jamaal Magloire
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Quentin Richardson
    Dwyane Wade (P)
    Dorell Wright
    Primoz Brezec
    Royal Ivey
    Michael Redd (ETO)
    Luke Ridnour
    John Salmons (ETO)
    Jerry Stackhouse
    Kurt Thomas
    Mark Blount
    Darko Milicic
    Sasha Pavlovic
    Oleksiy Pecherov
    Alando Tucker
    Damien Wilkins
    Tony Battie
    Trenton Hassell
    Jarvis Hayes
    Kris Humphries (P)
    Chris Quinn
    Bobby Simmons
    Ike Diogu
    Sean Marks
    Darius Songaila (ETO)
    Peja Stojakovic (ETO)
    Jonathan Bender
    Brian Cardinal
    Eddy Curry (P)
    Chris Duhon
    J.R. Giddens
    Al Harrington
    Eddie House
    David Lee
    Tracy McGrady
    Cuttino Mobley
    Matt Harpring
    Kevin Ollie
    Etan Thomas
    Matt Barnes (P)
    Adonal Foyle
    Anthony Johnson
    Jason Williams
    Rodney Carney
    Francisco Elson
    Willie Green (ETO)
    Allen Iverson
    Jason Kapono (P)
    Louis Amundson
    Jarron Collins
    Channing Frye (P)
    Grant Hill (P)
    Amare Stoudemire (ETO)
    Marcus Camby
    Juwan Howard
    Joel Przybilla (ETO)
    Larry Hughes
    Sean May
    Ime Udoka
    Keith Bogans
    Matt Bonner
    Michael Finley
    Manu Ginobili
    Richard Jefferson (ETO)
    Ian Mahinmi
    Roger Mason
    Chris Bosh (P)
    Amir Johnson
    Rasho Nesterovic
    Patrick O'Bryant
    Antoine Wright
    Carlos Boozer
    Kyle Korver
    Earl Boykins
    Javaris Crittenton
    Josh Howard (P)
    Mike James
    Mike Miller
    Fabricio Oberto
    Quinton Ross (P)
    James Singleton

3. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Duck- you make it seem like NY has no good players right now. They don't need 5 knew guys to be a really good team. Tony Douglas, Gallinari and Wilson Chandler are good players. Gallianri is 6'10 and one hell of a shooter.

Donnie Walsh will wheel and deal the whole summer. Al Harrington will get moved, Lee will not resign and TMac won't resign so that's a lot of money to play with. Donnie and the whole organization have been waiting for 2 years now for the summer of 2010. To think they won't do anything or to think nobody wants to come NY is ridiculous.

When the Garden is rocking than there is no other place better to win and every NBA player knows that.

Will just have to wait and see what happens.

4. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Because Clippers + LBJ = serious title contender. You can't say that about Knicks or Nets.
    Lakers don't need cap room. There is a thing called sign-and-trade.
    I don't like Knicks because LeBron wants to win. He won't if he goes there and he knows it.

5. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who? Who can they get for the mid level or the minimum?

Even if they do land James and Bosh their roster looks like this: Eddy Curry, Danilo Ganillari (who is 6'8), Sergio Rodriguez, Wilson Chandler, Toney Douglas, LeBron James, Chris Bosh. And they'll have no cap space left. Lakers would walk all over that team.

6. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Duck there roster will not look like that next year! Gallinari, Tony Douglas and Wilson Chandler are the only guys that will be on that roster.

I'll say it again, Donnie Walsh is building a knew team in NY and 2 big free agents will sign this summer. You can take that to the bank. And he will fill the rest of the roster with good role players and build a team that will contend. It's not that difficult. I'm not going to sit here and pick and choose who will sign with the knicks because nobody has any idea what kind of money they will have when there done cleaning house.

Lebron will never play for the Clippers or the Lakers. Kobe was on espn last week and was asked about playing with Lebron and he came out and said no way because 1. no cap room and 2. they have a deep team and only 1 superstar can play on that team. And plus that team is set for years to come with Kobe.

I can see the Lakers making a move for Durant in 2 years. Fill that hole when Kobe decides to call it quits.

And I'm seeing Gallinari listed at 6'10.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/nyk/roster
    Not that this is a big deal or anything. If your 6'8 or 6'10 your still tall as shit in my book.

7. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How the hell do you suppose to make that happen? Explain.
    It's not difficult to build a Championship team? Really? And I have an idea what kind of money they will have. Zero.
    Source? I can't imagine Kobe saying that.
    Kobe isn't going to retire in two years.
    I don't trust any site that has that idiot Kelly Dwyer on their payroll.

8. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Sorry Duck my multiquote button does not work at my work.

The 3 guys I listed are the only 3 with contracts next year except Eddie Curry and J.R Giddens. Hopefully some sucker team will take Curry but I doubt it. Sergio Rodriguez and Bill Walker will be bought out.
    http://hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

Kobe was on PTI about a week or so ago. You know what show that is on espn? If you can find that interview you will hear him talk about no cap space for Lebron or Wade.

Didn't mean Kobe was retiring in 2 years. In 2 years LA will have cap room to go after a Durant. I can see that happening. Check the site I posted for that.

Anyways Duck, we can go back and forth on where Lebron will end up but in the end not even Lebron knows where he will end up yet. But I do believe NY are serious contenders to land him still. I don't think it's a 2% chance that he will end up in NY. I obviously think it's more than that.

9. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Exactly. Curry is not opting out and he is untradable. So they're stuck with him.
    That's obvious. Him saying there's only room for one superstar though. Did you just make that up then? And Kobe is not going to suggest trading any of his teammates for LeBron. That would just be stupid. But that's the only way they can get him. And it makes sense for both teams.
    No they will not. Kobe will have his contract extended and Lakers will no doubt pick up their option on Bynum. So Lakers will not have cap space in two years.
    Maybe 2% is a bit low but if he does decide to leave, the Knicks are the least attractive option, among the teams with cap space; Bulls, Miami, Knicks, Nets, Clippers, as far as being a championship contender.

10. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Curry blows but he's defiantly tradable. His expiring contract is what makes him tradable so there will be teams out there looking to cut cap for 2011 and may trade for him. If he had 2 or 3 more years on his contract than yeah he's defiantly untradable.

11. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Durant's streak of 29 games with 25+ points ended tonight with 21 points in a loss to the Spurs. It was the longest streak since Jordan had a 40 game streak in 1986-87 and is tied for the 3rd longest streak by a forward in NBA history (Source: ESPN).

12. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9Y-vqZsEo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm9Y-vqZsEo[/ame]

13. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What kind of mug gets blocked by Manu? :p

14. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Cavs win in Boston for the first time since January 3rd, 2007.

15. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Nets beat the Celtics in Boston :eek:

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Rock bottom for them surely... They might be in for another seven meager years after their 08 title.

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    How on earth does that happen.

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not really no. The amount of bad contracts out there are decreasing. I don't think they can move Curry. At least not this summer to effect this free agency which is impossible.

19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Lakers with a loss to the Bobcats match last season's loss total - is this team not as strong or has Kobe's injury been a big part of that? Many of us thought they'd be a stronger team this year - is there a reason for this?

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    They're coasting.

21. El Pitudo

El Pitudo New Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Smoove=B-E-A-S-T

22. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Can't be just down to Kobe's injury, they actually went like 5-1 in the games where he was out and that one loss was only lost on the final possession of the game.

They just seem very disjointed for some reason...

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    True - although he's been also playing hurt some too right?

Makes me wonder if they'll regret the Artest - Ariza swap - I said at the time that some times role players can be more important to team cohesion - although really hard to come to conclusions now in the "pre-season". But the Bulls dynasties had incredible swagger - made it all so effortless in destroying everyone and assimilated new players well - although that might have been after more than one championship.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Gasol not content with the amount of touches he's getting apparently.

Although this problem dates back as far as last year's finals.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Laker's drop another one - although the Magic tried to gift them a victory when they should have won more easily. First 3 game losing streak for Kobe Gasol and first in 2 years.