The 2009-2010 NBA Regular Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by CIA, Oct 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Well I agree that a lot will depend on what Miami does, since that'll always be a favored destination for NBA players.

But I think as it stands now, the Knicks will at least land one star. I think it's more of a worry what they might do with the remaining cap space if they can't lure another franchise guy to New York.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I guess it depends what you consider a star. Tanking two seasons for Joe Johnson is pretty steep -which is why some here believe the Knicks have some kind of assurances that Lebron wants to come.

3. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I really think Bosh or Joe Johnson will be a Knick next year. I can't see them not landing a big free agent.

And if they don't get Wade or Lebron this offseason than the following year they will get Melo or Chris Paul.

And if they don't land Melo or Paul next year than the following year they will get Kevin Durant. :)

The New York Knickerbockers will be a top 4 team in the east in 2 years. Donnie Walsh will make that happen.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    As Juve said, they don't necessarily need to get two top guys this Summer. They could sign one this Summer and then wait for 2011 to sign Melo or Paul.

I very much doubt they'll get Durant though.

5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Does LeBron leave Cleveland if the Cavs win a title?

Because barring a catastrophe, they're going to the Finals this year.

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Have you heard about Paul's knee? Melo and Joe Johnson makes for a top 4 team I guess?

Don't get me wrong - Donnie Walsh is doing the only thing he could to make up for the disaster of previous GMs (I've actually heard guys like Michael K. try to give Isiah some credit for Marbury which is ridiculous), but I'm not sure how they become a serious contender without Lebron.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where he leaves at this point - but I guess if they don't go to the finals it's definitely possible - especially if he's joining a max salary buddy. But I'm also not convinced Lebron is going to figure it out this season and win it all.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Who is going to stop the Cavs in the East? Both the Celtics and the Magic have (seriously) regressed and no other serious contenders have emerged to fill the void. I'm near convinced that LeBron is going to his second Finals this year. Whether he'll be able to beat the Lakers over seven games is another matter.

8. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If Melo and Joe Johnson are your best two guys, you can definitely win a title, it just depends on what you surround them with. So if I'm a Knicks fan, I'd be ectatic if that what Donnie Walsh achieves by the end of next Summer.

9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Cleveland had a better winning percentage last year. I watched them lose to Denver and they had the same problem that killed them against Orlando - standing around watching Lebron fire up bricks.

It definitely looks like their year to make it to the finals though.

Sure - if you surround them with Chris Bosh or Dwight Howard. :p

I'd also be ecstatic if I were a Knicks fan if they can get Carmelo, but I personally don't think they're winning any championships without a serious big man to clean up their 46% shooting. If you're two best players are a guard and a forward, you're probably going to want them to play defense like Jordan and Pippen.

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    If all that is lacking is a big guy who can protect the rim, give them a low-post presence and grab rebounds, that is not something that'll cost them a max deal.

I don't understand why people argue there's a huge risk involved in what the Knicks are trying to do. They were and still are utter crap. Even if they don't get LeBron, their cap space almost guarantees that they will get one, possibly two quality guys, either this Summer or the next. Regardless of what they surround them with, won't the Knicks fans be better off?

I think the MSG crowds are now at a point where a second-round play-off series would sound like Valhalla.

I do agree that if LeBron wants to leave the Cavs, Chicago would make for a much better destination, since he would be surrounded by some real quality already. And I believe that the Bulls could afford to bring in a second quality guy as well (Bosh?). With Rose already there, that would make for a formidable best three.

And once LeBron has two (truly) All-Star caliber team mates, it'll be game over for everyone else.

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    If that's all it took, Carmelo would have no reason to leave Denver.

I'm not saying it was a big risk - I don't really see what choice they had. I'm just saying that without Lebron, if this team just manages to get to mediocre/decent, the next Championship will be a long way off.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    True, but I think the average Knicks fan would settle for "respectable" instead of "championship caliber" after so many really meager years.

Melo would be making a side-step if he went to the Knicks, but it would be a side-step to a commercially much more lucrative market.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Magic beat Cavs today with balanced scoring - no one outside of Shaq Lebron or Jamison scored more than 6 for the Cavs. Lebron needs to really embrace playing as a team and stop trying to win games single handedly (I didn't see this game).

14. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    But what's the point of the 30 day waiting period if there are no waivers? I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm sure Z will end up right back where he came from. Wiz should just keep him though. If anything they won't be helping Cavs reach the Finals. They haven't been able to stop them on the court so.....

15. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    You're not going to get to the Finals with JJ, Lee and Bosh surrounded by chumps. Not if LeBron stays with Jamison and Wade gets Amare.

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He doesn't have a point? Cavs get Jamison for nothing. And it actually is nothing.

17. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    True.

But wouldn't they still be better off then now though? The Knicks faithful just went through seven very meager years, a team capable of winning a play-off series probably sounds pretty sweet right about now.

18. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    All this South Beach crap is meaningless. The no income tax is a good draw though.

19. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not a chance.

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Well obviously. Todays Knicks are one of the worst teams they've ever had. If Walsh don't get LBJ or Wade this will have been a waste of time. They'll sign Bosh or someone and go another 10 years without a Finals.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    LBJ to the Bulls? I can see it happening...

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I can't. Jordans shadow is too big. Here's how I rate it:

Cleveland: 70%
    Miami: 15%
    Clippers: 10%
    New Jersey: 2%
    New York: 2%
    Lakers: 1%

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    This is a good point - and in a way if you aren't getting Lebron or Wade, it's almost not worth bringing in guys that make you mediocre because mediocre is almost a life sentence in the NBA.

I disagree - I think the lure of NYC actually might have some power of LBJ - and the challenge of conquering it. But I'd rate it like 89% Cleveland and NY/NJ/JayZ next.

24. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Wouldn't the presence of LeBron + generic All Star n°2 attract some cheap veterans to NYC? There is no reason to believe that they'd be surrounded with no talent whatsoever...

25. juvefe2

juvefe2 New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    why would you think the Clippers have a better chance of landing LBJ?? There is no way he would ever go to the Clippers. They have a 0% chance of landing the biggest star in the NBA.

And if you think there is only a 2% chance of him landing in NY or NJ than you have not paid attention. To many people will be yapping in his ear to come to NY. CC Sabathia is already on record saying he will try to help bring LBJ to NY and with all the cap space the Knicks have why is so hard to believe that he could be a Knick? He loves NY and the market in NY is the biggest market in the world. Donnie Walsh is not Isiah Thomas and he knows how to build a team. This team will be competely different in 2 years and they will be a top 4 team in the east. (that's my opinion)

IMO

Clev- 60% he stays if they win a title
    NY- 30%
    NJ/Brooklyn- 10%

No way he lands in LA. No cap room in LA and there is no way him and Kobe can be on the same team.

You don't like NY do you??? For some reason I get that feeling.

It's good for the NBA when the Knicks are contending.