The 2007/08 Pavon of the Match Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by REALFOREVER, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Oh, so this thread will help me with that. Man, I wish this thread was around when Anelka was with us. I was singing his praises for that half-assist in the CL final but as it turns out he was awful all year long. If only I had known.

Just busting balls. I think this thread is ... well, you know. I even find the title inappropriate.

Anyway, carry on discussing who is worst.

2. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Alma Merengue :D

3. Bernabeu

Bernabeu Member

Oct 16, 2004
    Madrid, España
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think the same. I for one have big respect for Pavon, who might not be the best player in the World but still had impeccable statistics in his records in terms of wins-defeats compared to any other defenders, and also was a very kind guy who never complained or gave any trouble.

4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hope you don't have the same feelings for Raul Bravo, because deep inside, watching him get out maneuvered in Greece on Saturday, it brought a smile to my face, but that probably had more to do with him being promoted as a 'Real Madrid Ace' by the media close to Olympiakos, and less with Raul Bravo himself.

I could have had the chance to meet Raul Bravo as well, as i was located very close to a preseason game Olympiakos gave at that moment.I decided not to go after watching Olympiakos fans go to preseason games to insult a Greek International [Basinas, Mallorca - Olympiakos friendly] because he played for a rival before moving to Spain.

5. theU

theU Member

Jun 20, 2007
    drenthe all 3

6. Richarded

Richarded Member

May 16, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    i am a cule but even i find this extremely hilarious. :)

7. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Totally agree. Marcelo played a great game. Like you said, he clearly won the battle to Pablo Hernandez, in my opinion one of the best Getafe players.

I invite to everyone that have voted Marcelo, to watch again the game and note down how many times Pablo Hernandez surpass Marcelo, and how many times Marcelo stopped him. Marcelo won very clearly.

Schuster said after the game: "The four defender (Marcelo, Ramos, Cannavaro, Torres) and Casillas played a great game. I really happy with their work. They saved us. But again, i'm not happy with the work of our midfielders (Robinho, Gago, Drenthe, Robben) in defense."

It is not the first game that Schuster clearly attack the defensive work of our midfielders. And i'm totally agree with him.

My votes:

2. Gago
    1. Denthe

8. Leandro-AL

Leandro-AL New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    half of getafe's chances were on marcelo's side. that's about 10 :-|

he was horrible. i dont know what game you were watching

9. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I repeat you, watch again the game and tell me how many times Pablo Hernandez surpass Marcelo, and how many times Marcelo stopped or steal the ball Pablo Hernandez. Then you can speak about Marcelo defensive work.

And for your information, in the Marcelo side played a player whose name is Robben who must help in defense and try to stop the attacks of Getafe Rightback. How many times did you watch Robben helping in defense? Did you watch when Raul told Robben that he had to help in defense?????

10. bigjerry

bigjerry New Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Actually Schuster just praised Casillas and "congratulated" Ramos and Cannavaro for their superb performance.

Not really related to the Marcelo debate (I've yet to see the full match yet) but I would be very surprised if Schuster praised Torres and then drops him for the coming CL qualification match.

11. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Schuster....
    "Creo que una vez más la defensa, los cuatros de atrás han estado excepcional."

'I believe that once again the defence, the 4 at the back, have been exceptional'

12. bigjerry

bigjerry New Member

Aug 21, 2006
    ^^ Okay, I read the AS report again, and you're right, Schuster was satisfied with the back four, and praised Ramos and Canna specifically. Realmadrid.com obviously was too lazy to translate everything out. :rolleyes:

13. MadridForever

MadridForever Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Probably you don't know me because i don't use to post in the board as much as i would like, but i have never written about what a Manager, player, president, ... has said a if i'm not 100% sure that is what he really said.

Maybe sometimes, i don't translate word by word what they said because my English isn't perfect. But i always try to be the most accurate possible.

I watched the game live, PPV. And i watched the Schuster press conference, RMTV. And Schuster said what i (and Maca) wrote in our posts.

And listening Schuster voice when he spoke in the press conference, you could feel that he was very happy with the work of our defenders and very upset with the work of our midfielders."

It is the second consecutive game that Schuster publicly praise the defenders and attack the defensive work of the midfielders. And in this second time, he was more upset than the first one. Probably because he tought that the players didn't pay enough attention to his first message.

14. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Madrid - Getafe

They are both tied can they get 2 points each?

Drenthe - Bad.

Gago - turned over the ball too much (bad passes straight to Getafe players which setup instant quick counters) and was overwhelmed.

15. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Well, you only have 3 points to allocate...so I will let you give each player 1 point.

I wouldn't worry about Drenthe and Gago not getting enough votes for this match. :D

16. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    vs Lazio
    1. Guti
    2. Robben

edit: just to be clear, they each get 1½ points.

17. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    vs Lazio

3 - Guti

Abysmal performance by him, no creativity whatsoever, very poor touch, slow on the ball - everything a CM shouldn't be.

18. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    vs Lazio
    Guti - 3

19. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Lazio > Guti 3

20. Mortal

Mortal New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Ljubljana-Fužine
    vs lazio
    Guti 3

21. Leandro-AL

Leandro-AL New Member

Jan 12, 2007
    robben 1 pt
    guti 1 pt
    sneijder 1 pt

22. Legacy

Legacy New Member

Jul 6, 2006
    London
    Guti -1
    Heinze -1 (I think he should have covered the Second GOal!)
    Robben - 1 (Didn't have a good game at all)

23. caballero del Honor

Sep 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Real Madrid CF v. SS Lazio

2pts Wesley Sneijder
    1pts Jose Maria Gutierrez

24. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Guti - 2p