The 100 Greatest X of All Time Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Nov 19, 2009.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL! I had not heard that one. I guess Brazilian forwards can humiliate and bring down even the best goalkeepers. But yeah, I think Flamengo was his last team, he must have been a bit past his prime.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If you wanted to, you could just swap Carizzo and Grosics.

comme, you said that Toldo didn't make your Top 100. Is it anything to with him being a benchwarmer to Julio Cesar in recent seasons or the lack of silverware at Fiorentina?

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I thought he was a brilliant keeper, but naturally being number 2 to Buffon for so long didn't help him.

I must say his performances at Euro 2000 were fantastic, and there are not many keepers on the list that had a tournament like that.

Of course a large slice of greatness comes down to luck. Toldo was unlucky that he came along at the same time as Buffon. If he had been English for instance, he might easily have been the number 1 for years and got into the list.

Neville Southall was unlucky for instance as well that he was Welsh and never got to go to a major tournament. Southall was the best shot stopper I have ever seen. His reflexes were phenomenal and for a big lad he had amazing agility. At the same time he was lucky he wasn't English, or else he and Shilton would have fought out the mid-late 80s the way that Shilton and Clemence did in the 70s and early 80s.

Clemence is another one who was unfortunate. Had it not been for Shilton he might well have won 100 caps. His record at club level is phenomenal, so if Shilton hadn't been there he'd possibly have moved up into the top 10 or 20.

So like I say, luck plays a big part in it all.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    So I put Chilvert somewhere aroung 60th. The IFFHS put him 6th. Who got it right, because there was some serious discrepancy there.

My rationale was that they had over-rated him based on his freekick and penalty taking, and his general persona. That his actual goalkeeping (which was my main priority here) was not as good as that of a number of contemporaries and that when he came and played in Europe he never impressed as he had done in S America.

Who called it right, or should he have been somewhere in between?

5. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    how the devil did five brazilians get into your top 100 for GK's?

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Good question. Do we simply blindly accept that they merited it?

Were Manga, Barbosa and Emerson Leao worthy of their spots, or at least the height that they got?

Were they actually better than Taffarel, who I never considered to be one of the world's best keepers? Or is it just because we know that Brazil produces such good outfield players that their legends from any position almost get a free ride?

7. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I have a feeling the next category (I'm assuming right-backs) will include something more like 5 Brazilians in the top 10 and perhaps even the most Brazilians in the top 10 of any of your rankings but I could be wrong. It will be a question of whether other players can make up with defensive solidity for the advantage in attacking verve and skill that several Brazilian candidates have over most right-backs.
    On the goalkeeping issue I certainly think it aids a players perceived rating, in terms of becoming a recognised name (perhaps more than in any other position) to have been the goalkeeper of a great side like Gilmar or the World Cup winners in a side that was pretty tight defensively like Taffarell. On Taffarell, his penalty saving ability in important moments would be a plus. Purely on saving penalties I believe Yashin would be the undisputed number 1 with a staggering number - I think perhaps it is hard for a goalkeeper to be flawless over his career (Shilton v Poland 73, Zoff in 78 against long range shots etc) so Yashin wouldn't be alone as a great keeper who made a few high profile errors. Good work with the thread by the way Comme - my first thoughts on future positions are that maybe Klinsmann will be ranked higher (in comparison to players in the Bundesliga/English top flight) than he was in the Bundesliga/English threads you and Gregoriak did previously as the longevity argument won't count against him and International form will count for him, and that Johan Neeskens if considered a box-to-box midfielder will be very high up that list but would be more than twice as far down an overall midfielders list if you get what I'm trying to say - the majority of absolute top-class midfielders would probably be considered playmakers or attacking midfielders.

8. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Sorry, I said I'd come back to these and never did.

I'm not sure on the gloves point. I just looked on wikipedia and it claims that Carrizo was the first to wear gloves, but that seems dubious.

I just did a quick search of some images and can't find Zamora, Swift or Grosics wearing gloves, so really not sure on that one.

On Mazurkiewicz, that's an interesting point. Any idea why? I'm away on work at the moment, so don't have my books with me, but did Uruguay play many games in the era? I know that a few of their other great players didn't play that many games either.

9. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It does seem odd that a player who's career spanned over the course of three World Cups and who's position in the team was essentially unchallenged could earn so few caps, especially when you consider that other great goalkeepers from around that era, like Zoff and Banks, won 112 and 73 caps, respectively. I'm wondering, at what age did he retire, as his last cap supposedly came in 1974, when he was only 29 years old?

10. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Great work comme!, a very certain ranking, just few goalkeepers I had in mind you'd put and didn't appear as Austrian Friedl Koncilia, Zimbabwean Bruce Grobbelaar, Irish Packie Bonner, French Bruno Martini, Italian Francesco Toldo and Colombian Óscar Córdoba. Also you put some I didn't know so much as Soviet Aleksei Khomich and Belgian Jean De Bie, good oportunity to learn about them.

11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I just noticed that Khomich was the only player without a wikipedia page, so I've just created a brief one. I seem to find that the players who most rarely have wiki pages tend to be Russians. I think I've created about 4 for them of major international players.

12. impalemeplz

impalemeplz Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Sydney
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The point on the nationalities is a good one and i agree 100%. It especially sticks out when a goalkeeper, Rustu Recber, who has two solid international tourneys under his belt fails to make this list. Maybe if he didn't stick to his word, with the Fener fans, he would be in this list.

*Awaits the forthcoming barrage about being beaten from a toepoke by El Fenomeno*

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Rustu was a flop though when he did play at a big club with Barca. He was very good in 2002 in fairness, but not sure he was ever among the elite. To be fair the same thing could be said about Friedel I think.

Whenever I see Rustu I still think about the guy who took him with the 8th pick of one of the first World Drafts ... and then put him on the bench. Genuinely the worst pick of all time.

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I'm more than surprised at your pick of Yashin for #1.

You've said on many occasions you had your doubts about him, but then seem to have gone with a consensus, rather than what you personally believe, to install him as #1?

Given your posts about Schmeichel, I don't get why you'd then not make him #1.

I have to admit that when I first got to BS, Yashin was, by default the absolute master supreme of the position, but that was almost an indoctorinated thought process that I have since leaned away from.

Not sure who should be #1 personally, but do you think your reason for giving it to Yashin to be a cop-out from one as staunch and opinionated as your good self, comme.

I hope you go by your own views for the rest of the positions and don't simply yield to consensus, as that'd make the whole process rather unfruitful, imo.

Unless, of course, you've changed your mind since last talking about Schmeichel and co?

15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I agree with that. If Buffon wasn't around, Toldo would have won more caps.

It's remarkable that back in the 70s and 80s, England had so many quality goalies and now there isn't an English goalie that is of any great quality.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think it comes down to a few factors really.

The first is around the difficulty of judging the different eras. Goalkeeping, while the most constant position throughout the history of the game, has I think improved over time significantly. The size and athleticism of keepers means that they are of a higher standard generally. But how do we judge that against the keepers of lore? We can't simply go on technical proficiency, we must also compare people by their era.

Secondly I think when I came to this website I probably had a natural suspicion of the orthodoxy, particularly in relation to many of the British players. The thing is that the more you see and read about them though, the easier it is to accept the received wisdom. Just for instance, I've just been reading a book by Jimmy Greaves about his 51 favourite ever "heroes and entertainers" (it's a pretty lightweight book, but interesting nonetheless). He puts Yashin as the best keeper ever, and talks at length about the 1973 game. Now for someone like him who played with Banks and Jennings, and has seen all the best keepers to put him at number one does have some worth.

Thirdly my views tend to change on a periodic basis. I mean for instance that during most of the 90s I didn't consider Schmeichel to be the best in the world. I remember regarding Pagliuca and then Peruzzi as better for much of the 90s. Then Buffon came along. So sometimes I wonder if Schmeichel was really as good as I remember him to have been.

I really don't think that goalkeeper was that clear cut a position. I think that the established order may or may not be a reasonable one. And I do think that I have moved away from the orthodoxy at least a little. Banks isn't in my top 3!

17. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Yes, it's a tragedy and I don't understand it. It's not just England either, Wales haven't produced a top keeper since Southall and Northern Ireland since Jennings.

England have had a production line of top keepers. The last dearth of keepers equal to the one we have today was in the late 1920s, after Sam Hardy but before Harry Hibbs. We keep having young keepers come through who are built up, but ultimately turn out to be mediocre. Kirkland, Robinson, Carson, Green, Foster.

Scotland's record of producing goalkeepers of course is largely a terrible one.

Goram, Brown, Simpson, Leighton. That's about it. Never mention Alan Rough or Frank Haffey to a Scotsman, unless you want to make them cry.

In fairness both Gordon and McGregor at the moment are relatively decent.

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Who would you say was the last great English goalkeeper? David Seaman?

I think you can say the same about Argentina, but it's been even longer. It is rather odd. Historically we had so many great goalies, and as I was growing up it was a deep position, but not recently. Lots of decent goalies, lots of young goalies with promise, but in the end, nobody who really stands out.

I think our last great goalkeeper was Nery Pumpido, and even he by historical standards wouldn't make the top 100 list in my opinion. After Pumpido, I'd say the best goalies in the Argentine league have been Paraguayan (Chilavert) and Colombian (Navarro Montoya, Cordoba).

19. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Yes, and even he was a level down from the greats that gone before him. He was no Shilton or Banks. He was steady rather than spectacular, and sometimes didn't move his feet quickly enough to adjust for the unexpected. Witness the shot from Nayim or Ronaldinho's freekick.

No goalkeeper should ever give himself the nickname "Safe Hands".

20. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

That's pretty much spot on. Not sure how far back you're going with Scottish keepers though. I see you have included Bill Brown and Ronnie Simpson but you could also add John Thomson to that list.

But for an untimely and tragic death he could and most probably would have gone on to be a household name. Even though he died at the tender age of 22 it he'd already made 211 appearances for Celtic and had won four caps for his country.

His bravery was unparalleled and his ability matched it.

Regarding Craig Gordon, I realise he's too young to fit the criteria for this thread but talking in international terms alone he's far better than 'relatively decent'. His club form doesn't mirror his international appearances where he generally excels for his country.

21. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: The 100 Greatest Goalkeepers of All Time

Hmmmmmmm.............

Controversia. Then again, therse things always are. Personally I'd have had Banks higher but I am an Englishman who puts the 66 world cup above all other acheivments. I'm also a United fan who'd put Schemiechel above Yashin but, by my own admission, I never saw Yashin play.

:)

22. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000

First, I have to commend that this is great work. But I would be more comfortable if the list were compiled by somebody else. Why? because you also compiled the list of the greatest players in English football. In that list, the 30 greatest goalkeepers were:

1) Shilton
    2) Jennings
    3) Southall
    4) Banks
    5) Schmeichel
    6) Trautmann
    7) Swift
    8) Clemence
    9) Hardy
    10) Seaman
    11) Harry Gregg
    12) Bert Williams
    13) Ted Ditchburn
    14) Ron Springett
    15) Bill Brown
    16) Jack Kelsey

Not only were the order not consistent, there are also some omissions. These are all retired players. Are there any reasons for the discrepancy? I hope it's not "the first list is only about league play but the second list is about international play"...

23. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13189934&postcount=1

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

Yes, as lanman pointed out the main reason is that I was only going off domestic performances for the first list. But when you include internationals and other leagues things do change around a bit.

The other thing I would say is that these lists could change around a bit. For instance the more you read or see of a player the more you change your opinions. I'm always open to be persuaded of the merits of different players.

I can tell you now that I'm sure some British players will feature in these lists who weren't in my ones about the English league, either because I hadn't heard of them at the time or my opinion of them has changed.

Like I said previously I don't pretend that these lists are scientific or definitive. They were first intended as a way for me to find out more about some of the greats of the game, and secondly a way of creating some debate on these boards.

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    How do you rate Goycochea? Also I read that a goalie called Cejas was highly rated in Brazil playing for Santos but was also an Argentinian 'keeper.