The 100 Greatest X of All Time Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Nov 19, 2009.

1. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jorginho was a class player and unfortunate with his injuries.. He was great going forward he had great technique , great work rate and was also a very good defender.. He just so happened to play in world cups where brazil were criticized for defensive tactics and a european style.. I thought leandro was a really good player and you cant forget cafu but for me jorginho had it all.. Very underrated.. Glad you agree pipilio

Pipiolo repped this.
  2. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But i could never replace R9 ! At his peak he was truly great and unstoppable.. Without his injuries just think what he would ve been.. But yeah.. Romario and van basten were absolutely superb and its hard to please everyone with an all time XI ! So many greats .. Another forward who always impressed me was careca ..

Pipiolo repped this.
  3. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i agree partly with you. but take in mind the following.
    if say players like garincha or eusebio for example where thrown in this modern day and age. they could adjust to modern day training, food, medication, perfect pitches etc etc.
    but could a messi or c. ronaldo adjust to the muddy or sandy pitches from the past.. to the heavy balls and most important..... to the many fauls and dirty tackles ?
    nowadays with all the cameras and strict referes not much is allowed anymore.
    in the past there where players like gentile, mackay, ron harris, rinus israel, etc etc who literally tried to kick attakcers in half. players like , cruyff, pele, eusebio, maradona, di stefano, puskas, etc etc had to deal with those kinda players

4. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah.. Id agree with that.. Its sort of what i meant.. I was trying to pick a team that i think could compete in the modern game.. Obviously zidane maldini and R9 performed in the modern era..but i think falcao zico platini and maradona would be world greats today.. It would suit their game.. Just look at the tackles maradona had to endure. Nowadays it would be easier for players like him.. It would be amazing to have a football time machine ! So the great teams from different eras could play each other at their peaks.. Its true that players from yester year would adapt with modern training and diets .. Pitches are perfect today and i bet all the greats like pele cruyff etc would have loved to play on the surfaces we have now.. But any present day premiership, la liga or bundesliga team etc would beat brazil 70 or any other great team from the past because the game today is completely different..its all about power fitness and intense tactics..just look at the physique of todays players compared to the past..i suppose its unfair to compare.. You can only be as good as the era you play in

Pipiolo repped this.
  5. Ribeiro dos Reis

Mar 17, 2012
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's why comparing players from different eras serves no purpose at all.

Eusébio broke both legs... a number of times. He played many games in grassless fields. In his time the game grew a lot and changed a lot, obliging mandatory new rules
    (cards, substitutions, away game advantage rule) and of course the... TV.

Now Figo, for example... this is the guy that have a superb career in a modern age. Figo was a tiny kid growing up who received special physical and muscular training. Figo hardly was injured (as far as i remember, only was injured once, in his later years) and he hardly failed any games.

You can't compare different worlds.

Jaweirdo and JamesBH11 repped this.
  6. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Very good remark ...
    However, for me, In theory you can, but agree with you that it will involve a lot of research and justification ... for different eras

For example, young fans now aday always claimed it's easy to score many goals like Pele's era ... (yes and no) but they also forget that in Pele time, there is no yellow card , red card to protect players (like to day) and the pitch (as you spot on) the ball, equipment was very bad ...

Or even simpler case, to compare CR7 and Figo ... just 10years apart .. and it's already difficult ... since tactics, style, strategy of the teams changing quite a lot ...

7. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    So many funny things here but LOL @ Sergio Ramos being the best right back of all time and LOL @ Iniesta being the best right winger of all time. Has he ever even played that position. Is this a joke?

JamesBH11 and Pipiolo repped this.
  8. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    they forgot to say the MOST RED CARDED RB of all time LOL

9. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Only going to put up players I've been alive to seen play

GK:Buffon
    RB:Cafu
    CB:Cannavaro
    CB:Maldini
    LB:Roberto Carlos
    CM:Iniesta
    CM:Scholes
    RAM:Messi
    CAM:Zidane
    LAM:Ronaldinho
    CF:Ronaldo Fenomeno

4-2-3-1

Coach: Mourinho

La-Máquina and Jaweirdo repped this.
  10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That's a very soft midfield. On the plus side it is a good midfield for possession and your defence is good enough to cope.

La-Máquina repped this.
  11. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly what I was going for haha. I can get into my tactically perfect XI but I'm having some fun here haha

La-Máquina repped this.
  12. La-Máquina

La-Máquina BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 5, 2013
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I found your choice of coach the most amusing! :D

I'd hate to see the players you possess miss-used by Jose!

cr7torossi and msioux75 repped this.
  13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  14. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Evrything went WELL until you put the coach Mourinho!

I am sure yu do NOT know much of his style?
    Why bother to put "breautiful players' like ronaldinho Zidane Ronaldo Messi in the same team and COACHED by a king a "parking the bus" ? LOL

johnbarley2 repped this.
  15. Scanderbeg

Scanderbeg Member

May 22, 2014
    4-2-2

__Schmeichel
    --Krol--Baresi---Nesta--Maldini
    -----Yaya-Toure-Yohan Crujiff
    ---Garrincha-------Best
    -----R9---Van Basten

Coach: Sacchi

4-3-3

__Schmeichel
    --Cafu--Beckenbauer---Nesta--Roberto Carlos
    -----Xavi--Rijakard--Iniesta
    --Messi--Romario--Best

Coach:Guardiola

16. Renato Goulart

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Jun 25, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If I do the same (starting 1986) my team would be the following:

GK: Zenga (Italy)
    RB: Thuram (France)
    CB: Gamarra (Paraguay)
    CB: Maldini (Italy)
    LB: Brehme (Germany)
    DM: Matthaus (Germany)
    CM: Platini (France)
    CM: Maradona (Argentina)
    CM: Zidane (France)
    CF: Ronaldo (Brazil)
    CF: Romario (Brazil)

Coach: Luiz Felipe Scolari

Honorable mentions to Hagi, Stoichkov, Milla, Baresi, Jorginho, Neuer, Batistuta, Klinnsman and Klose

17. EmpowerdAthletes

EmpowerdAthletes New Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I've been enjoying reading a learning a lot about some players I've never even heard of and looking them up. So many great players over the years. A lot of it is a matter of preference, and not many players impress more me than Garrincha.

18. ridaben

ridaben New Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I LOVE IT!

19. George Green

George Green Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Firstly, what an excellent job you've done here. I believe it's important for all football fans to be both aware of and appreciate football from its inception all the way to the present in order to truly appreciate its development and complexity. This whole compilation goes some way in helping to achieve that. Secondly, after reading through your top 100 for each position the only query I have is that I was very surprised at the exclusion of Graeme Le Saux at left back? He was a fine performer with a great left boot, both defensively apt and comfortable in possession he was able to patrol the full length of the line, offering an added dimension going forward while still expertly fulfilling his defensive duties. He was one of the key components in Blackburn's 1994-95 title winning side, while going on to become the most expensive English defender (at the time) when he signed for Chelsea. He also played 30-odd times for England which undoubtedly would've been more were it not for Stuart Pearce.

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Thanks for that.

Yes, he was a very good player, good crosser, got forward well and was more than competent defensively. I wonderif he was hindered at all by his difference from the stereotypical football. Definitely someone would would have been a potential inclusion.

21. rayado de monterrey 10

Dec 3, 2014
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
  22. rayado de monterrey 10

Dec 3, 2014
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I think that the best center mid is james rodrigues

schwuppe repped this.
  23. Liliablechaste

Liliablechaste New Member

Dec 17, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What makes a football team a strongest among different countries ? It was said it is related to their religions expect for their well training. What do you think ?

24. carly404

carly404 New Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    tnx for share this info , cheers to everyone mates : D

25. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    i join here becuz i want to learn more about the sport, this thread is a great help...