Thai soccer

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by vettefredje redded, Jan 3, 2012.

1. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Clubs are now preparing for the 2014 season, so, lets prepare ourselves.

Winning clubs

1996/97: Bangkok Bank
    1997: Royal Thai Air Force
    1998: Sinthana
    1999: Royal Thai Air Force
    2000: BEC Tero Sasana
    2001/02: BEC Tero Sasana
    2002/03: Krung Thai Bank
    2003/04: Krung Thai Bank
    2004/05: Tobacco Monopoly
    2006: Bangkok University
    2007: Chonburi
    2008: PEA
    2009: Muangthong United
    2010: Muangthong United
    2011: Buriram PEA
    2012: Muangthong United
    2013: Buriram United

Number of titles

3: Buriram United, Muangthong United
    2: Royal Thai Air Force, BEC Tero Sasana, Krung Thai Bank
    1: Chonburi, Sinthana, Tobacco Monopoly, Bangkok University, Bangkok Bank

*Buriram United won their championships as PEA and Buriram PEA

*Royal Thai Air Force are now known as Air Force United

*Krung Thai Bank sold their TPL slot to Bangkok Glass in 2009

*Bangkok Bank dissolved in 2009

*Sinthana are currently in dispute with BBCU with regards to ownership, BBCU took the role of Sinthana after numerous other titles including Chula United

*Tobacco Monopoly are currently known as TTM Lopburi after previous stints as TTM Phichit, TTM Samut Sakhon and TTM Chiang Mai - currently in talks with merging with Customs United

*Bangkok University are currently known as Bangkok United

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Where's the title going this year? My bet, Buriram or Nonthaburi.

The last time the title was in Bangkok was in 2006 with Bangkok University, and age away for a league system that was very pro Bangkok at one stage.

3. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bangkok University actually played at the stadium on their campus in Pathum Thani province in 2006, so Bangkok proper hasn't technically had the champion since before that. But I'd just include Pathum Thani and Nonthaburi as parts of Bangkok, because it's all the same metro area anyway and they share the same fans.

So if we go by that metric, MTU's brought Bangkok several titles recently.

But I see no reason the title won't return to Buriram. Muangthong has been very quiet this off-season and Buriram seems to be in a league of their own.

4. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    I always get confused with Bangkok Uni. I did thin when posting that they were that little further up.

What do you make to Chiang Mai withdrawing (or looking to withdraw) for D1?

5. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really sad if it happens. Sad for the CMFC fans, they must feel betrayed, and sad for the league, missing out on a great potential addition. I heard nothing is certain yet though, so we'll wait and see.

Osmar Ibanez just left Buriram for FC Seoul. Big move for him. I don't expect Buriram will have any issues replacing him.

6. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I have high hopes for him. He did well against us in the ACL. Also Buriram has already replaced Osmar with a younger Spanish defender, David Rochela.

7. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buriram's pipeline to Spain has put them where they are today. How do you expect FC Seoul to do next year after losing Ha Dae-Sung and Dejan Damjanovic but with Osmar Ibanez filling in the back? Going to get through the ACL group stage again?

8. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It depends on who we replace them with. I already lowered my expectations for next year.

9. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiang Mai will go to D1 after all!

10. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
  11. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be just completely shocking. I won't get my hopes up.

12. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An agreement I've never heard of before, Surin City reportedly has sold its kit sponsorship rights to Buriram United! Surin City's shirts will now bear a large Buriram United logo on the front!

Surin City is receiving 10,000,000 baht in this new sponsorship deal, an amount that the Surin's Assistant manager believes is the largest ever received by a Thai Division 2 team. On top of that, shirt sales for this new Surin shirt will surely be through the roof. There seems to be huge demand for this new shirt, especially among Buriram fans. The new cash flow should make Surin an immediate power in D 2 and serious contender for promotion to D 1.

Meanwhile, Buriram United will be expanding its brand into its neighboring province.

Reception to the news has been mostly positive from both sides, but a Surin City fan group has voiced opposition to the deal. Clearly they blame management for "selling out."

13. VLeague1

VLeague1 Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey,

Muangthong United will have a qualifying match for AFC CL with Hanoi T&T on Feb. 8.

Is it going to be telecasted?

Please give me a link to watch this match if you have.

Thanks!

14. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Try the first row on gameday. If I'm around on that day I'll post another link then.

The matches are set for the Thai sides' first qualifying matches:

Muangthong - Hanoi T&T (Vietnam)

I don't know much about Hanoi T&T, but they handled Pune easily. Muangthong has done absolutely nothing of anything in big games since 2012 so I wouldn't surprised to see them drop this one.

Chonburi - South China (Hong Kong)

South China is in mid-season form, but still struggled to take care of Tampines of the S. League with more men. Chonburi should handle them.

15. VLeague1

VLeague1 Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thank you for replying!

As I know Hanoi T&T lost 0-4 for Muangthong United in 2011. Even though Muangthong United hasn't done anything in big games like you said, they are still a big Thai club. So it's not easy for Hanoi T&T to take over them.

Hanoi T&T was founded in 2006 and is currently the champion of VN. They were also the champions in 2010. In 2011 and 2012, they were runner-ups.

They said they would do their best for this AFC CL. I hope they will. Because in past years all VN clubs joining AFC CL also said that but they did not send their best team to the league, but focused on V-League.

Do you have any links to watch Muangthong United's matches in Thai Premier League 2013?

16. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll see then. My confidence in Muangthong is about 0% right now.

There are a lot of Muangtong's full matches on YouTube under the channel "seksom_inmee". I think that was the user's name. I can't get on YouTube to share links from mainland china though.

17. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Teerasil Dangda loaned out to La Liga side, UD Almeria.

18. VLeague1

VLeague1 Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Thanks!

But the channel doesn't exist.

19. VLeague1

VLeague1 Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  20. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://goo.gl/tdCknJ

For those interested in following Muangthong-Hanoi online. You have to like the facebook page though.

21. VLeague1

VLeague1 Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. VLeague1

VLeague1 Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First half: 1-0 for Muangthong United.

Thai repped this.
  23. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muangthong is through, 2-0. Next week will be Melbourne Victory. They're 7-6-6 in the A-League this year and in mid-season form. MTU will have a tough challenge there.

Jay Bothroyd assisted Mario Gjurovski's goal, and then created the second goal on his own. He will be a force in the TPL this season.

24. Thai

Thai Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Hong Kong
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The opportunity to play against Real Madrid and Barcelona in competitive matches is fun, but the more important thing is will he get regular playing time or not. Will he get that at Almeria?

25. VLeague1

VLeague1 Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's done. Muangthong United goes ahead with 2-0 victory over Hanoi T&T. It's obvious, 'cause TPL is better and more prof. than VL.

The former president of VFF had retired before his tenure of office ended, before 27th SEA Games started when VN U23 team had an awful performance. His two terms of office, about 8 years, have killed VN football. He won't completely retire, but will continue his job of killing VN football by being the adviser of the new VFF president. They're going to use VN U19s, the rising stars, for their own purposes. Young training has not been taken care despite the fact that a lot of money was poured into the young training center of VFF.

After 27th SEA Games, VFF gave 3 billion VND to female team. And the girls complained of the greediness of the head of female squad. They said he did nothing but wanted bigger part of that money. That's funny. People like him and the former VFF president joined VN football to just sit and wait for cakes to be divided. No future for VN football.

BTW, congratulation on MUTD's victory!