TFC Off-season News Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't think they are bringing in the monkey for an on-field position trial. He's not from Bermuda.

2. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm seriously thinking about issuing a yellow card to the next poster that mentions that damn monkey! :laugh:

3. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Or Bermuda.

4. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Does the Ikea monkey put in 90 minutes of work on gameday or only 75?

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    From the article:
    Can somebody explain this logic? Seems we need a centreback, why would we trade this pick?

7. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's unlikely though that a drafted CB is what TFC wants. They're probably seeking a more experienced one.

TOareaFan repped this.
  8. atlanticTFCfan

atlanticTFCfan Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 14, 2007
    Sydney, Nova Scotia
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Great. The TFC 2013 season is already over before it even begins.

Merry Bloody Christmas, TFC supporters.

9. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    maybe the player they want isn't expected to go first two, so then it would make sense to try to get something good for it. Perhaps they have another idea in mind for trying to fix the CB problem. Besides, IMO our midfield line is in far greater need of fixing than our defense.
    If we trade our first overall pick, I'm hoping we get a good midfielder, plus a later pick (still first round though) with which we can pick Kyle Bekker
    Not necessarily. Kocic is a loss for sure, but apparently the plan was always for Frei to be the number one. Johnson isn't a starting striker and we have others who specialize in running around aimlessly, or being half decent up top. Personally I would have tried to trade Frei and given Kocic a raise, but this isn't a bad trade

10. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  11. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe they need allocation money in order to sign Nik Ledgerwood.

12. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am a Johnson fan more so than a lot of people on here but from what he said during the end of the season press talks the writing was on the wall he was going to be shipped out and the same went with Kocic wanting to be number 1 and Marnier saying he was a big on Frei (which I agree with). Just have to hope Frei can stay fit and play 30 plus games over next season.

As for the return the allocation is nice and with the 3rd overall pick I would guess management will be looking to use 1st or 3rd overall as part of another deal as said on Ives that some teams are high on certain players in the draft and right now we need more seasoned players to plug into the starting XI (Especially at CB and CM)

13. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I understand way TFC did this, though I also liked Johnson and Kocic more than most people.
    I feel like I'm missing something, because since the end of the season all I see is people bashing Kocic, and I don't understand what he's done to earn this. Do people only remember the screwup against DC and forget the games this season where he actually gave us a chance, much like Frei did when he was healthy? IMHO, Frei's only slightly better than him, and Kocic is better on crosses. At the very least, Kocic a massive upgrade over the shocking Donovan Ricketts. At best, he's one of the better shot-stoppers in the league. He'll do well in Portland.
    Johnson meanwhile, we know he's an awful finisher, especially when he's clean through on goal, but that's the only real knock on him. He's an absolute beast, probably one of the physically strongest players in an extremely physical league. And I actually think he has decent skill too, plus he can make something out of nothing (the two screamers this year). I think he's much better when he's not the main focus of an opponent's defence, like he was at times this year. He was at the best at the beginning of the season when everyone was concentrating on Koevermans/Plata.
    I think both Kocic and Johnson are serviceable MLS starters, but the post-season presser made it clear that neither wanted to be here. They'll be better off in Portland, especially Johnson since he'll be back in a 4-3-3.
    As for what we're getting, this deal was mostly about freeing up cap space. Hopefully with Bendik coming in we have a solid backup which will allow us to put Freddy Hall on the next plane back to Bermuda, plus we can use either the 1st or 3rd draft pick as trade bait. Still, I feel like we could/should have gotten more out of this for what we gave up. I don't think we'll see what kind of value this trade gave us until transfer season's over

14. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    according to sources, Freddy Hall's option has not been renewed, which makes sense. I understand the moving of Kocic, having both Kocic and Frei didn't make sense...but I thought that last year, and it turned out we needed Kocic. Frei has had two injury troubled seasons, which is not very promising.
    But this move is all about the allocation money and roster space. I think we'll see one of those European signings coming up soon.

15. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think they'll shop the first overall pick to a team desperate for one of those two highly rated CBs. I'm guessing that Payne is looking at drafting someone who isn't expecting to go in the top two. which is why he got the third pick. I'm really hoping that we come out of the draft with a highly rated prospect (with the third pick) and Kyle Bekker. Local kid with buckets of talent and passing ability, and a future CMNT building block. And he's a central midfielder, which we really need.

16. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I did like RJ and I thought he wasn't used properly through most of the season - he's much better playing on the sides than as a centre forward - but injuries forced him into those positions. Plus, I would have rather they kept Kocic around - he might not make the dramatic saves that Frei makes, but he controls the box much better.

That being said, I do like these moves. The main thing here is the allocation and the cap room that they've cleared up. Kocic wasn't needed, and they have a number of forwards now, so the writing was on the wall for the two of them.

Another key part of this deal is the draft pick. It now gives them some trade bait. As others have said, I don't think they are likely going to pick up a starting CB in the draft - CBs develop later on. But whether they trade the pick or keep it it gives them some good options.

18. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    My prediction: Johnson becomes the latest ex-TFCer to come back and haunt us.

19. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    To be honest, I think this could end up being one of those rare trades that works out well for both teams.

There doesn't seem to be any posts on the Portland forum yet, so I can't gauge the reaction from them.

21. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Hard to rate this trade until we see who TFC ultimately end up with. Will also be difficult because they received "allocation money". Is that $10 or $250 000? As for cap space, the did clear up some but not very much.

22. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2nd round player list is up, and both Jeremy Hall and Andrew Wiedeman are missing, with only Avila, Cann, and Harden remaining for TFC. I can totally see Chivas picking Avila, and tbh that might turn out to be their only good move of the season.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ls-player-list-fridays-re-entry-draft-stage-2

More importantly though,that probably means J. Hall and Wiedeman have been re-signed, hopefully for league minimum. Anything more than that and this is the worst re-signing(s) of the modern era.

23. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  24. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like Hall, think at a lower rate than what he was on (something like 100k-140k) he would be a decent squad player and plug in full back or wings when needed. Surprised about Wiedeman giving we got Hassli, Kovermans, Braun and Amarikwa but given Kovermans could be gone for a period of time maybe having the extra body at a cheap rate would be worth it, I don't know I really don't see the point of it.

As for the re-entry draft, looking at the names and reading comments from Earl who saying more than likely going to be using the pick there is a some decent MLS-experienced talent to fill out the roster. Colin Clark, Lovel Palmer and Khari Stephenson stick out though it would have to be at the right price.

25. kaiteng

kaiteng Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    So TFC has the 1st and 3rd picks in the upcoming MLS SuperDraft, and I am looking through those NCAA prospects for the draft. There are not a lot of highly touted defenders so far, but there is one interesting name off the list; Eriq Zavaleta. He is listed as a forward, but also played a defender since he is 6'1" and 185 pounds, and tear up the NCAA tournament with 18 goals in 24 games and won the NCAA title for Indiana.

Zavaleta is basically another target man, and TFC already have the best two in the league. If they really want to play that hoofball style he is perfect for the team. Not sure if he has to be picked at #1 though.

Another talented prospect that would be a clear #1 but is unlikely to play in MLS is Gyasi Zardes. He is in Galaxy Academy and they could pick him up instead of sending him to the draft or he might choose to go to Europe.