TFC Off-season News Thread

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by atlanticTFCfan, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All I heard was that PM said he was happy with "the character of the back four." He then made no secret of the fact we need another CB to put alongside O'Dea, and that they were actively looking for someone.
    As for Nigel Reed's old-keepers-are-the-best argument, the Galaxy are in the MLS cup for the second year in the row, and they've had the awful (and 31, which isn't terribly old) Josh Saunders in net for both cup appearances. Meanwhile, Houston's Tally Hall is like Frei: both are around the same age and among the best shot-stoppers in MLS.
    So no, Nigel, we don't need to improve the keeprs, not with a defence, midfield, and attack to fix.

2. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nigel reed is just generally clueless. Trying to make find issues where the are none, and finding solutions to non-problems. I can't think of specific things that he's writen/said, because I generally forget/block out the mindless shit that he says/writes, but this seems pretty much in line with his usual mind-numbing nonsense.

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea if Nigel knows what he is talking about. His job is to do interviews on the radio. Its Mariners and Cochrane's job to win games. I wasn't feeling that Nigel was necessarily correct, but Mariner's responses very, very underwhelming. Almost flippant.

4. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That's pretty normal from him. Not sure what flippant means, but if it means that he sounded almost appalled that the question was being asked, than that's pretty much how he usually acts. I remember once after a game where we completely sucked and were dominated by the other team, he acted totally shocked when a reporter suggested that the team didn't play as well as it should have. He said something like "I thought we played some fantastic football!"

5. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, we've gotten used to those. Any reporter or fan who tells him something he doesn't agree with seems to get yelled at.

6. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I watched the Soccer Show yesterday. I don't know if Mariner was especially arrogant. As others have said, Nigel went on for about 5 minutes about goalkeeping and then mentioned that Hartman was available and if Mariner was interested. Mariner simply said "We're not."
    I don't think Mariner needed to expand on that, although when he saw Nigel's bemused look, he said "for all the reasons we've just been talking about"..namely, he implied, how they were just talking about the difficulties of getting all the right pieces of the puzzle in this league , implying that with the salary cap, and resources, spending more on yet another goalie was not an option when there were other necessary pieces.

I tend to agree. Kosic/Frei are good enough. They're not the best out there, but not necessarily an immediate priority to fix.

adammac19 repped this.
  7. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think theyre actually one of the top GK tandems in MLS. Kocic wants more money and is probably on his way out, which will hopefully allow us to upgrade other areas of the team.
    I was worried about Freddy Hall being the #2 keeper, but tbh watching MLS Cup, I don't think he's all that much worse than Saunders

8. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Apparently we've traded Maund to RSL for forward Justin Braun

10. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I like it, never really sold of Maund from what I seen and remember in the draft many of the experts were very surprised that we went for him. Braun seem to lost his way last year after a couple good season at Chivas USA, believe he offers more than Wiedeman and Amarikwa

11. MTL_Club

MTL_Club Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    I feel sorry for you guys. People in Montreal were happy that the front office traded him mid-season so Marsch would stop playing him.

12. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Braun's seemed really promising when he was traded from Chivas. Not sure how much his struggles have to do with being in Montreal (Zarek Valentin went from Chivas to Mtl too, what happened to him?) so hopefully we can get his career back on track. Not starter material (at least not yet) but at the very least he'll be better than Maund. That part I'm sure of.

13. RetreadFC

RetreadFC Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Oshawa
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Better than Wideman? But...but...he's the greatest finisher of his generation.;)

deepm repped this.
  14. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Problem is we're starting to have an overload of strikers, while only having two good ones. Amirikwa, Johnson, Weideman and now Braun are mediocre backups. Weideman and Johnson can apparently play in midfield as well, but to me they look like subpar strikers playing out of position in midfield, not that they're so versatile that they can play there.
    Next player we need to ditch is Weideman.

15. Doom Boy

Doom Boy Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Just checking the list of the re-entry draft. 17 former or current TFC players available, 18 if you count Will Hesmer. Considering there are 63 names on the list, it tells you something, no?

16. adammac19

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm just amazed that they were able to get a warm body in return for Maund

crazypete13 repped this.
  18. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Deducting the 5 current players.....that leaves 12......12 who found a home (at least one home) on a MLS team not called TFC.....so, what does that tell us? (my guess is......nothing)

19. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  20. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    he's out of contract. I'm not sure that we can trade an out of contract player. Plus this way they can get him for free if they don't mind his current salary (which IMO is a quite reasonable one)

21. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If he is out of contract he does not have a current salary.....does he?

22. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    according to wikipedia:
    Players who are at least 25 years old, have a minimum of four years of MLS experience, were out of contract, and whose club did not offer them a contract at their previous salary (available at 2012 salary)
    Avila falls under this category (if he's out of contract, I've now also heard that he's in an option year, but that doesn't make sense) which means that if he gets picked, the team that picks him would have to pay him what he earned this year

23. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Member+

Jun 19, 2008
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thanks....so, essentially, it prevents claiming a player's rights from his current club and then chopping his wages......if he is gonna earn less (in MLS) it would be with TFC. Kinda makes sense.

24. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, it does make sense. Avila will probably still be picked in the re-entry draft by someone though, since 125k isn't that much of a reach if he can be used in the right way. It's best for him if he plays for a manager wh actually wants him there.

Edit: Also, it turns out TFC passed in the first round. Maicon Santos was the only player chosen and he goes to Chicago. Should be able to score some nice goals for them before the usual pouting and lack of effort sets in

25. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands