Terrence Boyd w/ MNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by footie101, Jun 6, 2012.

1. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    how many other traget forwrds does the usa really have

i like whst i've seen of boyd

he is an option. and off the bench he can be useful

i don't see his starting over a gomez or altidore though

2. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Clean slate now for Boyd, if he impresses here he can move to a bigger league before the next WC cycle. Only downside to this move is it means that Conor Casey had more career goals for Dortmund than Boyd :)

3. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    yeah boyd only had 20 for the reserve team, and dortmun won the league with talent, while conor casey days, dortmund wasn't as loaded

still rapid vienna isn't a bad team. while it's not bundesliga a good year and other bundesliga teams could come calling

chad and BimmerBenz95 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Except of course that this isn't true. When Casey was at Dortmund, they made the final of the UEFA Cup and won the Bundesliga. (01-02) They were quite loaded. Hence why Conor couldn't actually make any appearances for Dortmund........and they loaned him to Hannover and Karslruher.

5. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously the Austrian Bundesliga isn't that great of a league (UEFA has it ranked as the 15th best league) but I think this move will allow first team consistent (hopefully) playing time which is very important (see Jozy's last season). It's hard to believe that Jozy is only a year and a half older than Boyd but I think it is possible that Boyd could surpass him due to the fact that Boyd seems A LOT more dedicated to the team.

6. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how did Casey's career go from there?

7. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well said sir.

8. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no need to knock on Conor Casey to elevate Boyd. Casey had those important goals in Honduras last cycle.

Boyd made a good move. Now he will get an opportunity to play first team soccer. We will see how he fairs in Austria.

In my opinion he is not ready for the national team, too raw, not refined, no first team experience. But I'm not rooting against a young forward who's US eligible, that would just be silly.

Mr Martin repped this.
  9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Conor Casey had some serious knee injuries in Germany that probably kept him from reaching his full potential. Nevertheless, Casey has had a decent career.

10. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the kid has talent, now is time to see if he can make it pay dividens, if he scores anywhere 10 goals next season, I think he is on his way to make 2014 WC

12. Mr. Bandwagon

Mr. Bandwagon Member

Terremotos
    May 24, 2001
    the Barbary Coast
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what? Wondolowski has proven that the number of goals you score doesn't matter - you have to have more than just production with your club team.

That's not a knock on Boyd, but I don't think statements like "score X goals and you're in" make sense. The coach is choosing people based on many factors and goal production is just one factor.

13. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I like about Boyd, is he is willing to run at defenders and occupy that space as a target forward. He is strong, works hard, and tactically adept. It doesn't hurt that he has an amazing attitude.

As for the guy that said technical skill can't be developed after 21, look at Michael Bradley. I mean I was a MB fan back in the early Bob Era. He wasn't nearly as technically proficient as he is now, but we saw the glimpses of a strong, hard-working and tactically adept midfielder with an amazing attitude.

14. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG Wondo fans are taking over BigSoccer NOOOO! :eek: :rolleyes:

15. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he has to score 15 goals + next season if he wants to get interest from Bundesliga clubs after next season.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on the fact that JK likes the kid most of all, enough said :)

17. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I like his work-rate, athleticism and decent tactical nous, but his technical qualities are pretty average to below par. His first touch is poor- it is so bad at times that he's unable to display 1 v. 1 qualities that may in fact exist- like Altidore. He may improve, but at this point I'm not banking on him starting up top in 2014. I have a hard time seeing anyone besides Altidore-Dempsey-Gomez-Davies.

18. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you 100% although the MB loyalist will say he is playing the way he has always played.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point of view, in your mind do you think Davies has a better chance to make the 2014 WC squad (be 1 of the 23 ) than Boyd?

20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RE: his first touch, I have seeing him missed a few traps in the last couple of games that he has played, however, I have also seeing him in games where his first touch has been very good. If anything, it can be said he is not consistent which looks to be a trait of inexperience.

21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can also be nerves, which essentially ties into what you said.

22. DCUPedro

DCUPedro Member

Feb 12, 2010
    District of Columbia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davies? Like, as in Charlie? You don't think that's going out on a limb?

23. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Rapid have Europa League football next season as well?

24. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL, yah whoever says that is full of poopy stuff. I got neg repped multiple times by MB haters, and I wear them now as a badge of honor. He really developed his game, I kind of see the same potential in Boyd.

If he doesn't turn out to be a stud, maybe he can be a servicable striker in a 2nd tier Europe League. Poop, that's still better than Wondolowski.

25. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep I remember you I remember you calling Boyd way overrated during the U23 Olympic Qualifying. Face it man Boyd is a Beast Klinsmann likes him a lot and if he works on his game no doubt about it he will be in the 2014 WC roster his upside is high he will give Altidore a run for his money. As for Gomez I see him getting called up for WCQ whether or not he makes the WC roster will depend on if he can get regular minutes and how well he plays for his club but I think Agudelo will take his WC roster spot too early to tell though. Unfortunately there is no way I see Davies making the WC roster in 2014, I think his international career is done he is lucky to still be playing soccer after that horrible accident. Hopefully he finds a club where they want him maybe in MLS or somewhere in Europe.