Terrence Boyd w/ MNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by footie101, Jun 6, 2012.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Absolutely. But he's already in the mix.

2. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    agree fully, other than mexico usa has more players in the pipeline than anyone else in concacaf

2 years to sort itall out

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's look at the recent German contingent, shall we? As we do, let's try to count the number of American players who have achieved "greatness" in any league. Pretty short list. Or no list as all.

OK, now to the German contingent.

Jermaine Jones. Was coveted by Bradley. Earned caps for Germany. Plays DM on a CL side at Schalke. Without a doubt, one of the best players we have. JK, BB, Arena, he'd be starting or playing regularly.

Timothy Chandler. Coveted by Bradley. May earn caps for Germany in the future. Would have been at GC had he not bailed on BB. And he bailed on JK as well. Heir apparent to Dolo at RB, and contending for starting LB spot, and also a backup RM. Tough loss. But the idea he was in there because of some German JK bias is ridiculous.

Fabian Johnson. Recently became eligible. Awesome in midfield in Slovenia. Repeated great performances at LB. Would you prefer Castillo? Or Bocanegra? Better than Lichaj as well. If you think Johnson is staring because of some German bias of JK, you have serious mental/emotional/ethnic issues, and should seek professional help.
    ===============================

Dany Williams. Versatile, promising defender/midfielder. Look, I hate the CM at RM thing. But JK has done it with Americans (Bradley, Zusi) as well. It isn't a German thing. And if he wasn't injured with his club refusing to let him play, he'd be starting at LB in Guatemala. Not as clear a case as the others, but he belongs in the pool and is a legit fringe candidate for the 23.

Terrence Boyd. Obviously, the furthest away from a finished product. But also the closest thing we have to a target forward now that Buddle is off form/injured. And hardly the only youngster to break into the Nat team picture with little or no first team experience (Agudelo). And now he's cap tied. No Chandler crap from him. If he doesn't land with a club where he gets significant PT, he won't get calls next year.
    ==============================

3 guys there is no doubt about, and 1 there is little. Boyd is the only question mark, as he is the most raw. But

Nutmeg repped this.
  4. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012

lomg gone of the days of the mason brothers or david wagner

are there any more german americans looming

many ca't stand this because the what the germans did in ww2, and have anything german is bad mentality

5. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, some people can't trust these black guys because we think they're secret Nazis.

Some differences that should be pointed out between Agudelo and Boyd's inclusions into the NT picture:

-Agudelo had played at least a few first-team pro games (including a great playoff performance) at the time of his call-up.

-Agudelo was 17 during these first pro performances (and is still only 19), Boyd is 21.

-Agudelo had been an absolute stud for U.S. youth teams for a while.

ImaPuppy and Editor In Chimp repped this.
  6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Brothers?

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Boyd... but his first touch last night was TERRIBLE!

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not arguing, but what is athletic to you? any professional soccer player is athetic in my book. If you go by looks then Sapong and Jozy are the most athletic looking. If you go by speed then none are extremely fast. If you by strength, the Boyd and Jozy are there. If you go by jumping ability then Sapong and Boyd are there.
    I don't think Agudelo strength is as much in physical but rather craftiness. I was surprise that Boyd is missing some clear chances in his last couple of games, perhaps is jitters, the kid needs to settle down.

9. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd also has been pretty good for the youth teams, and I believe he was an absolute stud for Dortmund's reserve team. So, yes, there are some differences, but a lot similarities as well. Anyway, I wasn't trying to equate the two, just pointing out that a lot of youngsters have broken into the Nat team picture with little experience, and some of them aren't German/American.

10. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    yes, the mason twins played wqc 1998 in fact one of them came off the bench in april 20, 1997 wcq match in foxboro wher keller goal kivk went off the head of hermosillo for a goal and mason came on as a winger to bring usa back

neithr mason spoke any english, despite their dad bein in the army, he instead chose to stay in germany

wagner got some run, but i thake tom dooley as the best all time german-american

boyd only gets better and his olympic matches included a couple goals i believe

and wer'e talking dortmund here, way different level of play than most americans get

still aguelo will play a role but who knows how big

usa has lots of athletes, but SKILL is the 1st question

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I've tried to ignore it since you've started posting, but now I have to say that your posting style, spelling, and grammatical errors are absolutely tilting me right now.

Ok, carry on. :D

Mestes repped this.
  12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Michael is the only Mason I remember playing for us. What was his brother's name?

13. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'll be back by the end of the summer. Not starting, but making the 23. Getting out of NY was a godsend for him and he's steadily getting back on track. Scored a couple goals and put a number of other shots on frame. Confidence is coming back as he regains his fitness and opportunities increase.

Too often BS posters don't just prop up a player they have interest in, but feel the need to knock down another player in order to do so. I don't get it. Don't people realize given our history at striker, we're lucky to have three youngsters in Jozy, Agudelo and Boyd who haven't hit their 23rd birthdays yet, two of which won't for quite some time? Then we have more youngsters in the pipeline such as Bijev and Salgado, possibly Sapong, maybe Starokov, who should be ready for a shot sometime in the next cycle.

But I guarantee many will hitch their "BS reputations" to one of them while knocking down the others. Ignorant fools....

14. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm sorry, but Boyd's inclusion thus far bothers me. He isn't a professional, but Klinsmann stressed the fact that he wanted his players getting results and scoring in the highest leagues possible. So he calls in his pet project amateur striker, and plays him over one of the best goalscorers in MLS history...

In addition, Boyd can't even trap a ball.

15. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    amateur?

16. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Boyd has a professional contract at Borussia Dortmund (until his transfer).

Maybe you meant he wasn't playing first team football? That's true, but your statement is dead wrong.

17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though I admit I don't know all the specifics of the German football pyramid, I do know that Dortmund II plays in the Regionalia (4th tier). I know that they won it (should be promoted to 3rd level). I know that Boyd led them in scoring with 20 goals.

Now, I believe it is often referred to as semi-professional, but the players are being paid. Especially one's like Boyd, who have a contract with the club, but just aren't in the first team.

18. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd dominated in every U23 camp he was in.

19. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a lot of German American's looming around like Alfredo Morales, John Anthony Brooks, Andrew Wooten, Jerome Keisewettier and many more. But the player I hope turns out to be the real deal is John Anthony Brooks a 6'5 CB that has skill with the ball like a Tim Ream or Geoff Cameron.

20. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. Boyd is a professional player. He just hasn't broken in with anyone's 1st team, yet.

He's been very successful in the German 4th division, similar to several of the players Antigua called in from the English 3d/4th levels, and I suppose comparable to the USL level the majority of Antigua's squad plays for.

I hope the move to the Austrian 1st Div works out. That would be a nice next step in his pro career, and a chance to win a regular spot with a 1st team. It might be comparable with the Turkish 2nd division, where Adu had a lot of success a year ago.

21. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think Brooks was that polished. I guess he grew another inch since the last time I saw his stats.

22. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Austrian league is comparable to 2BL.

23. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep he is as tall or maybe even taller than Gonzalez but the thing is that he needs to gain muscle because he is really skinny.

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like another goodson

25. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005