Terrence Boyd w/ MNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by footie101, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I think you overestimate Austria. They don't have top youth talent for 10 clubs, and they don't have ten clubs competing for expensive players. The players union had to negotiate a minimum salary of something like 15k, because young players at smaller clubs often got only some hundred Euros per month, and had to live with their parents, because they couldn't pay for rent and food. It's still difficult in Vienna.

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Nonetheless, players in Austria will be paid according to their talent. So a player earning the median in Austria will be someone capable of contributing consistently to the team. In MLS the median is the salary of a player that wasn't very good as a rookie and has gotten a very small increase in their second contract. These are the players that are likely to be dropped, like say the third string goalie. Meanwhile, then non-rookie starting lineup will all be earning over $150k.

3. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    No, they're paid according to their market situation at the time of their signing.

Foolishness and deuteronomy repped this.
  4. Foolishness

Foolishness Member+

Aug 15, 2012
    70-80k isn't really THAT significant of a change. All American leagues have Rookie salaries, it works in our collegiate system. With that, not all rookies and sophomores continue to stay in the league. It's a little silly to use Omar Gonzales as your example as he's HIGHLY rated and is going to pull a bigger salary. In the discussion of how much does salary truly reflect the quality you have to continue to look at the people at are earning 70-100k.

5. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Wow, really?

I know there is already a bunch of back-and-forth in this thread and I am not data research savvy enough to dig this up on my own, but my experience as a fan of the USMNT through each of these three coaches tells me your statement is inaccurate.

Maybe I am not understanding what "portion of the cycle" you mean. But if you look at the first 14 games (or however many Klinsi has) of each coach I doubt very much that Juergen has given playing time to a greater number of players than his predecessors.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bit of apples to oranges. He's comparing JK's 2012 with BB's 2008 and Arena's 2000. So, it's the 2nd year of the World Cup cycle for JK and the others, but really JK's first full year, whereas the others had their first year done by the second year of the cycle. In other word's BB and Arena had their bigger experimental years completed by the time the second year of the cycle began. JK was still in experimental mode due to getting a late start as coach.

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was only 2 more players.

8. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Statement is fact.

9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Eh regardless, the two leagues are just too different to compare merely on median salary.

Foolishness repped this.
  10. sMiLeYz

sMiLeYz Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Baltimore
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored the game winning goal today, however since it's an Austrian Bundesliga goal it counts as a .8 of a goal compared to a real MLS goal.

CTS26 and comoesa repped this.
  11. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it's actually .6

So he has scored 5.4 goals in his 16 appearances for Rapid.
    0.34 goals per game.
    Now, the bundesliga requires 3 MLS goals per game to enter one of their mid or lower level table teams, so that's...

16 x 3 = 48
    48 x 0.6 = 28.8
    So he would need to score at least 48 Austrian goals or 28.8 MLS goals within the next 16 games at Rapid to join a bundesliga team.

12. ckl26

ckl26 Member+

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Where do these calculations come from? Sorry

13. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think (hope) hes joking

14. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is just a joke.

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, any Bayern Munich goal only counts as half of an MLS goal, also.

16. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    danged exchange rates!

17. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I thought the introduction of the Euro would solve that - at least within Europe!

18. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Funny sidenote:
    There are actually exchange rates for goals in Europe; for the Golden Boot competition.
    Goals in top 5 leagues count 2.0, goals in mediocre leagues count 1.5, goals in crap leagues count 1.0.
    Goals in Austria count 1.5, so they're worth 0.75 of German Bundesliga goals according to UEFA's Golden Boot rules.
    Boyd is tied with Altidore (same multiplier) and several others for 100th in the Golden Boot competition, http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/spieler/goldenerschuh/basics.html
    Hosiner from Austria Vienna is second only to Messi, in spite of his multiplier disadvantage.
    I remember Henke Larsson won the Golden Boot in his Celtic days with a 1.5 multiplier.

CTS26, Mr Martin and Excellency repped this.
  19. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lascho, I just want to say that this is one of the great reasons it is awesome to have foreign posters here on Big Soccer. Not only do you offer an unusual and enlightened perspective, you also offer some little known facts that many of us might not have been aware of.

SamsArmySam and Lascho repped this.
  20. Chance

Chance Member+

Minnesota United FC
    United States
    Apr 5, 2012
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else hope Boyd is the starting forward for the Gold Cup? I really want him to get his first goal :D

21. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    #546 Scotty, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
    Hobo repped this.
  22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Vs. Mexico, Wando hit the net again and so did EJ (disallowed by bad offside call) in the last friendly before the training camp begins.

So has Boyd's status changed at all? What are his chances of making the preliminary 30-man roster in May?

23. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd has been behind Jozy, Aron, EJ, and Wondo for a while. After last night he still is. I think Boyd is battling Agudelo for a spot on the 30-man preliminary list, and I'd give him the edge at the moment. EJ or Wondo probably have to get hurt or have a serious slump to open a Cup spot for Boyd.

24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you take away his disallowed score EJ did not have a good game, his touch was off and he got caught offsides more than once, mental mistakes.

25. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    I'd say his chances are really slim, he was never as high up the depth chart as some people wanted him to be..He hasnt had any chance to prove himself with the NT, and scoring some goals in Austria isn't gonna change Jurgens mind now

Jozy, Aron, Wondo, EJ all ahead of him and I'd take Agudelo too