Terrence Boyd w/ MNT

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by footie101, Jun 6, 2012.

1. IrishAmericanWC2014

IrishAmericanWC2014 New Member

Jun 8, 2012
    Or it reflects the fact that he outperformed Agudelo/Bunbury/Wondo in camps and out of form Buddle...

2. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Jacksonville for the Scotland match and Boyd played the first half, pretty much across the field from where I sat. It was a bit of a surprise to me, that he was starting. I would describe him as eager, hard working and ready to mix it up. He was familiar with a lot of the runs and regularly made himself available. It was hard to get a real read on him as the Scotland defenders handled him fairly easily but he did very well ordinarily, by occupying two of them. Needless to say we won 5-1.

The second half, Edgar Castillo, was the player I watched. Probably, better off not commenting.:)

3. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or serious. Or a mixture of both.

Good Job.

4. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    give me a choicde between an only american player, or a german with an american parent who was taught by german coches, and i'd take the german kid

fab johnson over any ameroian

what american coach would have given him a chance

and jk has his commections in his homeland, they point out the americans there who can play

5. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    There you have it. What Donovan, Dempsey, and Howard all lack is a German mom. Tough luck for them.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabian Johnson and Tim Chandler certainly are national team material. Danny Williams is uncertain at this time. Boyd isn't ready for the national team, but he is tremendously athletic, and that is something that plays into Klinsmann's style of play. No doubt he is a Klinsmann project, but with Altidore unfit, Agudelo fading, and Wondolowski over his head, it's not hard to see why Klinsmann would play Boyd in some friendlies.

7. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First touch like Bunbury tonight. First ever WCQ so I'm going to cut him some slack.

8. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he only played for 10 minutes like in the Italy game.

9. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Agudelo fading" Are you ridiculous or being sarcastic. At 19 y/o Agudelo possesses technical skills that Boyd merely dreams about. Boyd is an athlete but soccer is more about technique, field vision, creativity and savvy. At this point, I would select "fading" 19 y/o Agudelo over 21 y/o athletic Boyd. Indeed, if Boyd did not speak German, he would be nowhere near the USMNT with his current experience and skill level.

Rapids burgundy repped this.
  10. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tremendously athletic? I hope the kid pans out, but he is NOT tremendously athletic. He is certainly LESS athletic than a fading Agudelo and a Teal Bunbury, for example. Hell, he isn't as athletic as CJ Sapong. That's not to say that he isn't athletic. But I think you overstate his athleticism quite a bit. So far it seems to me that he is a fairly athletic kid with good size. Until I see more of his actual skill on the field, that's pretty much all that I can say .... so far. But I'm hopeful of seeing more in the very near future.

11. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mad? Because you sound really mad! Boyd is
    the future.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before we slag him off, can I remind everyone that he is now one of ours. And proud to be so. In 1 game (totaling something like 20 minutes) he is not Bornstein. Cut him some slack.

13. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrence Boyd@TBoyd91
    First three points on our way to Brazil and cap tied. #USMNT

his touch may have been bad, but you can't knock the love he has for the USA

Namdynamo, deuteronomy and Berks repped this.
  14. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BS idiots: If he doesn't score in 20 minutes he is sh*t! Wait didn't he come into the game the same time as Jozy? If he did it was only 10 minutes.

7211 repped this.
  15. morange92

morange92 Member+

Jan 30, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to be honest he had a lot of bad touches in the antigua game, but a lot of that probably was due to nerves, and even then the guy is a good prospect to have in the player pool, especially given the dearth of true quality young striker options available

16. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an American alright. That first touch I saw was unmistakable.

7211, DiscoWarrior11, Mr Martin and 3 others repped this.
  17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I meant about Agudelo fading was that his playing time with Red Bulls diminished and so did his playing time with the USMNT. I was not making a statement about his abilities or his future. Hopefully his new gig with Chivas and more playing time will bring him back into the NT picture.

18. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah you know you've made it on the USMNT scene when you have people on BS up in arms about you for no reason. Boyd has joined a prestigious club.

Berks repped this.
  19. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's very, very athletic. If you don't like the word tremendous, so be it. It is a non-specific term. I didn't compare his athleticism with the players you mentioned, and I couldn't tell you definitively who is faster or quicker amongst them, but my eyes do see a very athletic player in Boyd. He seems strong, fast, quick, and agile. Boyd is raw, but he is not devoid of technical ability. I've seen him score some nice goals for the U23 team. There is certainly room for all of the players you mentioned to compete on the National Team. Boyd's inclusion in the mix should not preclude those other players. Speaking of Mix, a young player we didn't mention is Mix Diskerud, who is a very technical player, but not quite as athletic as some others. I am very high on this player, and I hope he will compete for a spot in the coming months.

20. drgonzo

drgonzo Member+

Jun 1, 2011
    Club:
    San Diego Flash
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a defensive mechanism. We've had so many "future stars" not shine that now it's easier to attack the young players with potential instead of cheering them on and encouraging them. If they eventually make it big then these people don't lose anything because their comments will be forgotten, but if the player fails then they can point back to their statements and claim to the world that they knew it from the start. He's 21, not 31. He's only going to get better from here. We need to relax and let him work on his game and hopefully with the right effort and people around him, he'll develop into something if not special then very productive. This time 2 years ago Jozy's main competition at forward was Robbie Findley. We now have an army of young talented strikers waiting to make the jump to the next level (Boyd, Agudelo, Sapong, Wotten, Salgado etc.). We should be grateful that the National Team boss is making sure that he's giving them a crack at the first team even if they aren't ready. It isn't taking away a valuable roster spot from someone else from what I see.

7211 and orcrist repped this.
  21. az2004

az2004 Member

Jun 5, 2012
    boyd will be the target guy for usa in 2014

dempsey and donovan will have 2 more years on their legs, and i think dempsey will be fine, but i'd worry about donovan being a 90 minute player then, perhaps a sub, which might be nice to have

which opens up a slot for some kid to take the starting donovan spot

might well be altidore, who i'd pick over any other kid currently

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's definitely got some holes in his game. He's young and learning. Klinsmann clearly rates him highly........................so I'm willing to be patient.

He's still a guy who's never played at a level higher than the German 4th division in club football, and we trotted him out for a World Cup Qualifier. That's by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the biggest match he's ever played in. [Yes, bigger than an Olympic Qualifying match.]

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    If Altidore arrives in camp in better shape then Boyd gets fewer minutes. I wouldn't say he is over promoted given the alternatives. The only center forward who needs to be in the mix and currently isn't is Kenny Cooper. Andrew Wooten might play himself into contention next B2 season.

Seems like center forwards take a bit longer to develop.

24. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Well, your guess is as good as anybody's...

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And perhaps Agudelo...........................who I still have high hopes for.