Terrence Boyd signs for Borussia Dortmund II

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, May 27, 2011.

1. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yes.

I'll translate it later.

2. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    I guess you have to revel in Kitsch for a few minutes first.
    "Boyd: Die Stadt Dortmund lebt für den BVB, und alle sind menschlich klasse drauf. So eine Leidenschaft für den Fussball habe ich bisher nicht erlebt. Das Training ist um einiges intensiver als bei Hertha, und mithilfe des Trainer-und Betreuerstabs kann man hier hervorragend an sich in allen Bereichen arbeiten und sich weiterentwickeln. Das Trainingsgelände vom BVB ist hervorragend, die Plätze sowie der Kraftraum und die Regenerationsbereiche sind extrem gut."
    Did you write that text for him, or was it the BvB press officer? ;)

3. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    About last season:
    "I was used as a substitute at first, then developed further and could finish the season with 13 goals and good performances"

About Borussia Dortmund's interest:

"Borussia Dortmund already scouted me at the beginning of the 2nd part of the season and they offered me a contract 2 months before the end of the season.

"Hertha also offered me a contract extension but I decided to sign for Dortmund"

"There were no talks with Jürgen Klopp but I know that the connection between the pro team and the reserve is very good here. That's what I hope to prove myself and become an option for the pro team."

About himself:

"I'm a strong central striker. I'm a good finisher, I've got this certain nose for a goal and I know how to use my body (in one-on-one situations)."

About the next season:

"We want to be the team who switches best from defense to offense, who covers the most distance and has the biggest team spirit. And we're on the right track so far. Of course, I'll try to help the team with goals and assists. I want to improve here."

About the difference between Berlin and Dortmund, in sports and culturally.

Boyd: The city of Dortmund literally breathes BVB. I've never experienced such a passion for football so far. Training is much more intensive than in Berlin, and with the help of the coaches and persons in support you can really develop yourself excellent here. The training centre is excellent, the pitches and the weight room, as well as the regeneration places are extremely good.

On David Wagner:

Boyd: David Wagner is a good coach and person. It's really easy to come forth with him as a coach. Obviously, as a striker, he can also give me some extra advices.

About BVB's system:

Boyd: Yes, we're playing the same system as the pro team.

On general development of young players:

Boyd: I think Dortmund is some sort of role model, the most important thing is to work constantly on improving yourself and you shouldn't be satisfied after first signs of possible success.

About Bremen, his home town and why he never played for them:

Boyd: I had an offer from Werder Bremen 3 years ago, also from other Bundesliga clubs, but I decided to play for Hertha and I didn't have a problem with leaving my home town.

About the first contact with the US U20 national team:

Boyd: The U20 manager invited me to a camp last december, but I didn't have a US passport back then. I received it in February.

About the U20 World Cup qualification and why he wasn't nominated

Boyd: Of course, I followed the games. But I wasn't allowed to play because we were in an important phase of the season and I would have missed some league games. That's why we agreed on inviting me for a tournament in France in May. Not qualifying was a huge disappointment, but that's football. Our next goal is to qualify for the London Olympic games.

About other Americans, German-Americans and his contact to them:

Boyd: At Hertha, I've played with some yanks like Ellis McLoughlin, Bryan Arguez and the German-Americans Alfredo Morales, John Brooks and Jerome Kiesewetter. We're still in contact despite not playing together anymore. BVB recently signed a very talented defender in Oskar Gasecki. I'm helping him to settle down here and learn the language.

About watching the A-National team in Germany:

Boyd: Of course I follow the national team, since it is my goal to play for America one day. The league and national team are still in development, but we're on a good way to play a role on the international level, which could be seen already in World Cup 2010

About the German U21 national team and the question whether Germany has shown any interest so far:

Boyd: There wasn't any contact with the German federation so far.

About the possibility to switch to Germany:

Boyd: I'd be happy to receive an invitation.

His favourite interntional club:

Boyd: Arsenal London

4. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Simply the truth. :D

5. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahahaha. Not, in the least bit, partial at all! :)

6. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was interesting that you prefaced this question with the fact that the German National Team has a bit of a shortage when it comes to strikers before asking that question. The subsequent replies afterward were also interesting. It'll be interesting watching his development and whether or not Germany ever decides to step in to try and recruit his (or another German-American's) services.

Many of the German posters seem resolute in saying that if a player indicates they want to play for a certain country, the DFB is hands off. Boyd is willing to represent Germany were he ever to get a call up, so he's sorta on the fence. Naturally, then, it's sorta undecided until he's cap-tied.

Here's hoping he becomes worthy of garnering such headaches on BS. :D

7. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    very unlikely, I think. He'd have to get pro team experience as soon as possible and then actually show something promising on the field. By then, he'd probably already be a US senior national team player. Dortmund's striker situation is good, not perfect, but good. He must score lots of goals for the reserve team while at least 2 strikers get injured and he'd still have to fit into Klopp's game plans. Besides, Dortmund have another German U21 national team striker who's on loan to Bochum (Bundesliga 2) and will return next year. So there's lots of competition.

8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not good news lol

9. jakepc42

jakepc42 Member+

Mar 26, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scored for Burussia's U-23 team...

10. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He scored the only goal for Dortmund II in a 1-3 defeat today

11. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd scored another goal today against Sportfreunde Lotte in a 1-1 draw. That is three goals in three games this season.

And if you go back to last season, he has something like 11 goals in his last 14 Regionalliga games.

12. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008
    good stuff.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's one source that lists Boyd as the scorer, but several others say that Paurevic was the scorer.

14. bullit82

bullit82 Member

Forest Green Rovers
    United States
    Jan 24, 2011
    Arizona
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His streak ended yesterday

15. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
  16. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    When in doubt check the official matchreport. Those are published on fussball.de, which is the public version of the DFB's very own database (and yes, the official scorer is Paurevic - just wanted to point out the site for future use, though).

1 person likes this.
  17. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He compensated with a hat trick today.

18. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd scored another goal, in a 4-0 dismantling of Schalke II today.

19. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    This guy is looking pretty promising. Anyone know how close or far he is from breaking into the first team?

20. Balotelli

Balotelli New Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He got 7 goals and 2 assists in 7 matches. During this week he trained with the first team for the first time.

21. smithfan

smithfan Member+

Aug 14, 2005
    Waimoana
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.reviersport.de/167823---bvb-ii-torjaeger-traeumt-london.html

David Wagner: "He's a great guy and a striker with the necessary aggressivity which isn't common these days. If he continues to be mentally strong, works on his weaknesses and stays fit, then he can make it"

Boyd on his ethnicity:

"My mother's German and my father's American. I feel at home in both countries. Germany as well as the USA."

his move to Dortmund:

"They didn't want to offer me more than an Amateur contract in Berlin. They promised me a lot there which turned out to be nothing but hot air. The discussions with BVB's officials however were great, I directly felt welcome and felt like I receive true attention. I'm really happy to play for this top club."

his 7 goals:

"I'm never completely satisfied with myself. I could have scored 2,3 or 4 more goals. We have a top team and a great coach. I believe we can achieve a lot this season"

the difference between Regionalliga Nord and Regionalliga West:

"I do think that the West is stronger and especially more attractive. You'll find lots of Pro team reserves here who raise the level. In the North, it's more about fighting. There are teams who don't even try to play football"

..the choice of national team:

"I have to play well first to even think about this. But I can reveal that I haven't decided yet despite 2 games for the USA. But I'm honest and say that it's a dream to play in London in the Olympic Games 2012 with the American U23."

...Borussia Dortmund:

"Until the game against Arsenal, I was a fan of the Gunners. But now I have to admit that there's no team that plays more beautiful football than Dortmund. The club is terrific, the city is beautiful. I have a 2-year contract and want to do everything in this time to get as close as possible to Jürgen Klopp's team.

2 people repped this.
  22. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused....

23. bumbletucky

bumbletucky Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Call me, America.

But I'm still open to play for Germany. Let's face it. We all like our S.O., but we are still open to Gemma Arterton until we have to make a final decision.

24. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another goal for Boyd today.

25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club: