Terrence Boyd signs for Borussia Dortmund II

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, May 27, 2011.

1. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    I doubt they would actually bother to cancel the offer then. Might very well be that someone else offered more and they decided to move on instead of rising their offer again. But they wouldn't act so childish as to announce something like this if the other side didn't have an offer standing anymore anyway.

Eintracht would have never offere above average sums anyway - the club went from making seven figure losses per season to debt free and making profits in only four years, and just by scouting for good but unknown players. And all this while playing better as well.

2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw the USMNT train at the University of Maryland. Boyd stayed well after the end of practice to take twenty or so shots.

3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Good, he needs the accuracy practice.

5. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd on returning to Dortmund:
    Full article (mostly NT/Olympic stuff) here.

6. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Scotty repped this.
  8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  9. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Odd that Darke heavily hinted a move within Germany to a Bundesliga club last evening during the telecast.

10. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Seemed like he did more than hint at it.

But, I wasn't sure if he was basing that off any inside information or just what the rest of us were reading in the press.

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    First team football is what is important for Terrence right now. I know people would rather see him playing in the Bundesliga, but first team minutes (and possibly starting, who knows) for a perennial Austrian powerhouse, plus Europa League football can only mean good things for him.

Congrats if it is indeed true.

FloridaFC2MLS repped this.
  12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, but it was interesting to note at that practice that the strikers that were really lighting things up in the finishing drills were all in their late 20's (Gomez, Wondo, and to a lesser extent Dempsey) while the younger guys (including Jozy, though he was better) were less, shall we say, consistent.

13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Not surprised one bit. Gomez and Wondo in particular are notorious for being able to hit the target from pretty much anywhere on the field. Demps as well.

It will come to Boyd, almost all of that is repetition and muscle memory if you have the base talent (which it would seem he does, based on technique).

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I'm excited if this goes down. The Austrian Bundesliga aside, I think this is a fantastic opportunity for Boyd. He potentially goes to a club that is heavily supported so pressure will be there to not only win but win in convincing fashion. Rapid are expected year in and year out to be title challengers. Not only that they will be involved in the Europa League. Match days will be unlike any other he's experienced as Rapid's ultras, The Tornados, are a boisterous bunch with constant chants, flares, the whole nine yards. They don't stop. Kind of scary bunch at times, though. Above all, Rapid has historically been a club that has unearthed and developed some decent strikers. Recently, Everton's Nikica Jelavić and DCU's Hamdi Salihi come to mind.

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Cool stadium, too. Fans are close to the action:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Hanappi_Stadium

16. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Well, Rapid were German champion in 1941. ;)

...In my defense repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google Anschluss. Ian Darke is just that clever.

18. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Scary is indeed the word. The Rapid Ultras are one of the worst bunch around and have a deservedly bad reputation for violence and anti- semitic behaviour. Especially in the derby with Austria (considered a "Jewish" club like Ajax or Tottenham) bad behaviour is common:

And so on and so forth. Oh well, don't think that would have any influence on how Boyd plays, unless they decide to invade the pitch again. On the plus side Rapid Vienna is one of the Austrian big boys that qualifies for the Europaleague regularly.

19. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw 'em!

No Rapid Vienna for Boyd, I've decided.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Found this article that discusses how Boyd could fit in to Rapid from a tactical standpoint. Could a German speaker give a translation?

Mit neun Toren war Deni Alar Rapids bester Saisonschütze – zu wenig um die Mission 33 erfolgreich abzuschließen. Seit Tagen kursiert das Gerücht um einen Wechsel von BVB-II-Bomber Terrence Boyd nach Hütteldorf. Mit 20 Toren schoss der körperlich robuste 21-Jährige die Zweitvertretung des deutschen Meisters in die dritte Liga.

Boyd könnte sowohl als Solospitze in einem 4-2-3-1- als auch antizipationsintensivem Zweistürmersystem agieren. Was er aber mit Sicherheit hinter sich braucht, ist ein technisch starkes Mittelfeld, das die Verbindung zu ihm herstellt – Rapids Hauptproblem in der abgelaufenen Spielzeit.

http://www.heute.at/sport/fussball/art23663,720597

21. icebreaker

icebreaker Member+

Mar 22, 2011
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Since I was perhaps a bit hard on the Rapid Ultras I'll give you my best shot at a translation:

"With 9 goals Deni Alar was Rapids best striker of the season- too little to successfully complete Mission 33 (Rapid Vienna have 32 Austrian Bundesliga titles, so they were looking for nr. 33). Since days there have been rumours about a transfer of BVB II "Bomber" Terrence Boyd to Hütteldorf. With 20 goals the physically robust 21- year old shot the second team of the German champions into the third division.
    Boyd could play as the sole striker in a 4-2-3-1 as well as act in a anticipation- intensive two- striker system. What he certainly needs, however, is a technically strong mid- field to make the connection with him- Rapdis main problem in the past season."

SoccerKowboy and Scotty repped this.
  22. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    FirstStar repped this.
  23. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. This sounds like the right kind of move for him- a club that needs him to play the exact position where he's best and they are thin. We would then get to see if he has the talent/ability to step up to that level (and, hopefully, impress enough to move upward and onward in another few years).

24. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know nothing about Australia's league. Can someone summarize the general play? Fast/physical/technical etc...

m vann repped this.
  25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well it's called the Hyundai A-League and there are 10 teams. Brisbane Roar are the newly crowned Champions and Adelaide United are in the quarter-finals of the Asian Champions League. They also have "Marque Players" which are similar to Designated Players of MLS :D :)

As for the Austrian Bundesliga..................