Terrence Boyd signs for Borussia Dortmund II

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by smithfan, May 27, 2011.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd did mention in the Studio 90 video that this is the largest crowd he's ever played before. I can understand -- along with the start -- why he had some jitters and missteps. Huge performance for the first time on the big stage with more to come.

2. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs more high level experience. Another year in the reserves would be a waste for him. His movement and awareness were excellent. Tempted to say that all he needs is reps at a higher level, but can't be sure until he plays at that level. Looks like all the pieces are there. Just a question if he can put them all together.

3. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is not playing for the reserves anymore he is either going on loan or moving to another club possibly to the 2BL or even Bundlesliga Klinsmann said.

4. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made the bench in October in front of 80k but didn't play.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he gets one of those moves worked out

6. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep and its looking like Jurgen is helping him out.

7. BGSUSoccerFan423

Jul 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That's different then actually playing though. I'm pretty sure if he got on the pitch back in October he would have been nervous and hesitant.

8. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The latest on Boyd from No Short Corners:

Tom Collingsworth and FirstStar repped this.
  9. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "but at least one of the latecomers will play in the Bundesliga this coming season."

The way the above is worded it makes it sound like it is a team that was just promoted to the Bundesliga. Those three teams are Fürth, Frankfurt, and Düsseldorf.

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I wonder what kind of price Dortmund would set for him. Hard to imagine too much for someone who has never played at a level higher than the 4th division.

Without being sure of all the suitors involved, I'm kind of hoping that Rapid splash out and take him. Seems to me that, at this point in Boyd's career, the Austrian 1st division would be a more logical step for him, rather than diving head first into the Bundesliga 1 with a newly-promoted team whose sole aim will be survival.

11. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If his only option is Austria, he'd be better off staying in the 3 Liga with Dortmund II. There's no discernible difference in average quality.

I'd rather see him go to the Swiss league or the Belgian league, or even the Netherlands. With 1-2 successful seasons there, he'll have no problem finding his way onto a mid table Bundesliga team.

12. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Rapid Vienna will also be playing in the Europa League next season, correct?

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they qualify. They have two rounds of qualifiers, the third round and the playoff round. I'd say they have a 30-40% chance of making the group stage at best.

14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no difference in quality, but there is a difference between playing on the reserve team of a club and playing on the first team.And Boyd can develop quickly with first team minutes.

15. clintcottage

clintcottage Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    He needs a lateral move at this point. More or less anyway. Rapid Vienna or maybe a mid-table Holland. Bottom of the table Bundesliga could be development suicide. Anyone remember Jozy's god awful year with Hull? That team was terrible and they counted on him to score goals...yikes! It has taken until this past year for Jozy to find his feet again. In Holland of course, where he should have moved in the first place from Villareal and where he is now improved and back to his old self in terms of confidence. Would hate to see Boyd go down same road.

16. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has a chance to go to the Bundesliga he needs to take that chance.

17. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has chance to go to a team in the Bundesliga he needs to take that chance.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  19. Deeneaus

Deeneaus Member+

Aug 29, 2007
    America/Deutschland
    Club:
    Arminia Bielefeld
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't say much.

States that after the purchase of those three players that an attacker should also be purchased. Then goes on to mention that Kicker reported that Braunschweig, along with another 2. Bundesliga team and Rapid Wien, has been looking at Boyd.

Does mention that if a loan were to take place that, because Boyd only has a year left on his contract, he would have to extend it another year with, I'm guessing, Dortmund. Since Dortmund has stated that the team isn't really interested in loaning Boyd out, according to Greg Seltzer, it would seem that Braunschweig would have to purchase him outright.

Said Seltzer reference is here: http://www.noshortcorners.com/2012/05/terrence-boyd-goodie-saga.html

20. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    More interesting would be the kicker article in today's print edition. It isn't online yet, and I haven't read it, but it seems to indicate some current movement if those who read it are to be believed. Btw, something I actually didn't notice until today - Boyd has the same agent as Eintracht striker Domi Kumbela.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Boyd's name has been bandied about is certainly a good thing. I like that he will have options and thus far those options seem like a step in the right direction development wise. If it's an exciting time for us to follow Boyd, imagine what he's feeling. This will be an important move for him. I only hope he and his agent really think this through. Nothing has indicated otherwise which is also positive. The kid is oozing with talent and I look for this upcoming season to be a breakout of sorts wherever he lands.

Deeneaus repped this.
  22. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
  23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Or the other possibility, that a new offer (or offers) has priced them out.

24. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Took the words right out of my mouth. First team minutes in many "lesser" leagues will out weigh much of what he can gain in Dortmund's reserves. Different pressures to deal with.

Plus, continued success playing 1st division Austrian ball will say more in a potential future transfer than will success in Dortmund's 2nd team.