Teddy Montoya Banned! WTF?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by jayd8888, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    They'll still need supporters to provide that "authentic soccer feel", so they'll probably keep us around for that, but god help you if you cross the wrong minimum wage security hack.

2. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody in K$E gives a crap about that. Furthermore, none of them would even know what an "authentic soccer feel" was if it back-handed them in the face.

3. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think they care more than you give them credit for. They created both the class VI section and the supporters terrace, which required them to care a little bit.

This whole situation is just another case of the Rapids inability to run a tight ship. I truly believe that they want to grow the Rapids brand and be a sucessful MLS franchise, but for whatever reason they can't get their act together. I blame it mostly on the curse of KSE ownership and the limited budget that goes with that curse.

4. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think Seattle, Portland et al are doing a pretty good job of profiting off authentic atmosphere. The teams that have struggled to create that atmosphere have struggled to be profitable. I think there is a correlation there.

I'd love to discuss the business strategy behind a successful MLS team (on the field and off) with you at some point, maybe over an $8 beer at the cantina? My guess is we're probably on the same page.

jayd8888 repped this.
  6. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I think we are on the same page not sure about KSE though.

I have been told repeatedly that every Monday KSE is inundated with complaints from fans in the stands about the terraces. I personally find this hard to believe. One reason is our coordinated chants are pretty clean. Secondly, I doubt the rest of the stadium can really hear us.

If there are people on this board that are aware of people complaining about the terraces please let me know. This is a genuine request. I honestly want to know where the problem is so we can attempt to solve it.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. ericmann78

ericmann78 Member

May 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with everything you said here.
    Now that the league is somewhat prospering and most teams have stadiums, corporate sponsership, etc. they can start pushing out the supporters and cater to the casual fan/soccer mom. I have said it before and I will say it again, the league does not want real supporters, they want prefabricated diet versions of support. The safe version that they can mold to their needs, they like the idea of SGs but care more about wallets than passion (unless of course it is manufactured and turned on and off when they say it is). They tolerate it now because it puts butts in the seats and it is an excellent marketing tool for them, the diehard fan buys more merchandise, and season tickets. If/When the big TV deals come, and more and more money comes it, everyone will be forced to sit on there hands in the stadiums.

What MLS does not understand is that the level of play is no where near where it needs to be for there not to be SGs, and buy eliminating them/putting sanctions on them, and overall harassing them will ultimately end with the league in disarray.

8. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I just want to see Teddy back in the stands where he belongs. My wife and I are pissed off about this and would be willing to join in any protest, plea, or bribe you guys have in mind.

9. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COYP: Did you just do a Twitter RT on a forum board? My hat is off to you.

10. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's how you solve it. KSE needs to make it perfectly clear when people are buying tickets that the Terraces are an adults-only environment where people may be subjected to offensive language, chants, gestures, flags, spilled beer, grumpiness, and silly hats.

They allow anyone to buy a ticket in the Terrace with little/no warning. I've seen kids in there that IMO shouldn't be subjected to it. I've seen adults who clearly weren't prepared. Maybe they need a G-Rated supporters section with cheap tickets in another part of the stadium.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the Family Zone, which for some reason they put on the north side of midfield rather than the south.

12. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make the Family Zone $16/ticket and I bet most of the Terrace complaints go away.

13. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a similar situation last year in New England with their supporters in The Fort. I went to the NE-Colorado game and trust me, The Fort provided the only atmosphere ... talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

This is very disappointing on two fronts:
    1st from the CR website: The Supporters Terrace is designed for adults. Younger fans may enter if they are accompanied by an adult. Although IDs will not be checked, this isintended to be an adult oriented section. Therefore anyone entering should be forewarned. Maybe as 30Something says above this should be reinforced when buying tickets in the terraces or with signs there (maybe they're already there?)
    2d: That there wasn't some sort of warning or quick appeal process.

It seems like there's a happy compromise in having designated areas for hardcore, rowdy supporters in the terraces and more family oriented areas elsewhere.

Hopefully is a case of a hyped up office drone. Either way, any dedicated supporter shouldn't be treated this way.

14. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how does a ban work anyway i mean it's not like they got pictures on every entrance of everyone who is banned?

aslong as he dont show his id teddy could be fine. grow a beard or put on a fake one lol!

i just dont see how anyone banned can't get into a sporting event.

15. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It allows them to "press criminal charges" against you if you are found in stadium again/ on site- whatever ban covers.

17. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It I had the money/ability, I would make Teddy masks so all of the Terraces and Class VI could wear them. Let 'em throw us all in jail!

BYLRPhil repped this.
  18. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember remember, the 25th of June, the Teddy Montoya treason and plot. I can think of no reason why the Teddy Montoya treason should ever be forgot :).

19. lurpythepirate

Sep 14, 2009
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We may not like you much in SLC, but we like any FO being able to pull this sort of horseshit even less. Had this in the south end tonight. Good luck to Teddy and the rest of you. freeteddy.jpg

savelints8, Jasonma, Stuart95 and 3 others repped this.
  20. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I think we should change our tagline to "minus one club" until Teddy is back where he belongs.

COYP repped this.
  21. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    Someone told me a free Teddy sign showed up briefly on the Altitude broadcast last night - I haven't verified it is true.

22. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I friend of mine that is not a soccer fan got a yellow card at the match last night. It did not impress him or his facebook followers that made a joke out of the Rapids. Knowing my friend, this does not surprise me but I wonder if security was doubbling down, or tightening the screws on their policies. Seems like another overreaction in the wrong direction to me.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a Miss you Teddy sign IIRC.

24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a few T-shirts with Teddy on it after game, while waiting for Fireworks to begin.

25. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ???? Who gave him a yellow card? The ref?