Team Sweden

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Sep 12, 2009.

1. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Still angry, but now I can focus enough energy elsewhere to use the internet at least. Sweden WNT
    demonstrated how come Sweden MNT can win the occasional game.

Despite there were no Japanese players faster, stronger or more skilled in 1vs1 situations than the feeblest Swedish player on the field, Sweden WNT managed to psych themselves down into believing they were under pressure, despite the fact that there were always eons of time and acres of space. The only thing Japan needed to bring to the table was the ability to pass the ball efficiently. Sweden could have just have taken the ball from the closest Japan player and stood around with it for a while to calm things down, a manouver that never failed when attempted.
    But no, instead we passed the ball to anything blue we could find. Why not at least send the ball out of bounds way up the field?

Whatever, I'm done

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fantastic! (except for the whole not winning part)

I feel so bad for her. :eek: I mean, one brain fart is bad enough. Two you can get mad about. But poor thing just forgot how to play soccer for an entire game. The biggest game of her life to date. :eek:

Is she going to have to leave the country?

3. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    ... and that's provided they're letting her back in in the first place...

4. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I knew there was a reason Schengen was a bad thing.

5. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    and that 20% of the populace was 60% of TV viewers at the time. Yes, quite good. Dang it!

Yes, well, ahem, cough one ought not ever blame a loss entirely on the keeper—'it is a hard and unmerciful occupation, the rewards of which come late and after much misery'—and it would have been nice if the rest of the team had simply scored a few more goals... but... yeah. She did not shine. Again, not to take anything away from the Japanese, who 'deserved' those goals as much as anyone ever 'deserves' any goal. Still...

But Schengen only applies to general passport checks, right? Surely if a Swede has committed crimes in Germany, she could be apprehended at either border by local authorities. I don't imagine the Germans will want to keep her, though.

This is all sounding familiar. Haven't we suggested her deportation to Svalbard before, in Euro 2005? I think so... hmm, there's a pattern here. Maybe it's time for her to step aside...

(and yes, yes we did discuss her exile to Svalbard before, quite a while ago now)

6. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Okay, Team Sweden, remember: third place is better than fourth.

7. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
  8. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sweden are the best European team in the world!

9. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Yay Sweden!

10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It is the first time ever we been the no 1 UEFA team in a WWC :)
    91: Norway (2nd)
    95: Norway (won)
    99: Norway (4th)
    2003: Germany (won)
    2007: Germany (won)
    2011: Sweden (3rd)

11. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I slept through the match, jocasta. Hope you're happy. :D

And it was an honest 'I forgot about the match' thing. I didn't do it on purpose, but I'm glad I missed it. Now that it's done, I get to go back and watch it.

12. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I slept through the match, jocasta. Hope you're happy. :D

And it was an honest 'I forgot about the match' thing. I didn't do it on purpose, but I'm glad I missed it. Now that it's done, I get to go back and watch it.

13. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    And isn't that going to sneak up on them and bite them in the arse at some point?! :rolleyes:

Oh, wait - shiny, happy people! Forgot that there's probably a post-medal moratorium on the likes of Öqvist for now.

14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thanks Bonnie! Enjoy the day and the game. It's a good 'un.

I had been thinking that it would be nice to try to see the Olympics, but maybe I would serve my team better by spending the tournament by your side, with a bottle of chloroform... just to make absolutely sure that you take your naps at the proper time...

15. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Send me a plane ticket, give me a pillow, and I'll make it easy for you. :D

16. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Probably, Swedish teams that start think that they are so good that they can reach the playoff without really fighting tend to miss the playoff. So prepare for an early exit in London. :(
    ANd we should be gratefull that we can't fail the Euro qualification.

17. hagabo_i_exil

hagabo_i_exil Member

Apr 27, 2004
    london
    Club:
    Umeå IK
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    indeed, indeed...

Thank you very much!

18. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    SVT covered the national team arriving in Göteborg this afternoon; here's a link to the website where you can see short videos of individual players (and also a newly clean-shaven Coach Dennerby) being interviewed at the airport.

And apparently they will have a televised celebration tonight in Göteborg... Do I have it right that they are going to do "Lotta (sic) på Liseberg", and if so, will they do a sing-along? Helt fantastiskt.

19. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The celebration is now going on in Götaplatsen... So far they've showed Schelin's greatest hits, and Öqvist's greatest flops. Öqvist in a postgame interview admits that her red card against France was justified, but thinks Bompastor should have gotten one too. Just after the bronze medal match she used a swear word to describe how she felt; her team and the audience titter at the replay.

20. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    So who wants to see the Sweden victory dance one more time?

"No one. Stop beating it to death."

Yeah, but this time it's at their homecoming ceremony, so you get a review of the goals, and dances at the games (so you get to see Nilla Fischer trying to intimidate Josefine Öqvist into joining in), and their big group dance at the bronze medal match, and even better, they've overlaid the music to the dance. It's much less dorky with the right music.

"Yeah, right."

Fine. Don't click on the link. I don't care. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y6CEv1k-i4"]‪Sweden victory dance in Go?teborg.mov‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

(They also really did do a sing-along at 'Lotta på Liseberg', which I can only imagine is the equivalent of going to Disneyland.)

21. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    :D If I remember correctly, Bompastor said that neither should have gotten one.

22. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A British wrap-up of WWC2011, with a few words to say about some members of Team Sweden.

Just a quibble about the last point, becuase I think we've pretty well established that the Öqvist/Bompastor incident was mutual victimization... And does the sun not shine on Bompastor's chest?

But I'm glad to see that someone else also thought that Fischer looked ready to knock some sense into people as soon as she hit the field in that game.

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That music is a rubbish French "song" ? are they really dancing to that??

24. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Yes
    Apparently Seger (the Captain) wanted them to dance after goals but her idea for a dance was to hard for the team so Schelin suggested that one that she know (since she live in France and obviously haven't much taste regarding music) and the rest is history,

25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I can only agree we have much better music in France than that stuff :(