Team of Mutts - the US U23 national team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sandon Mibut, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CapeCodFutbol

CapeCodFutbol Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what, never mind. After reading through some of your posts I gather that you were talking about France's failure in WC2010, and are attributing it to the diversity on that squad. Of course, that argument would conveniently ignore France in 1998. And 2000.

But then, as with your "best regions" for producing certain types of players, you're just pulling crap out of your ass.

A better argument to support this would have been the Laurent Blanc controversy with their youth system and preferences. But I don't think that's the argument you were making -- let me know.

fyp.

2. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By all reports, the first two probably do happen in ODP more than we'd like (i.e., at all). Of course, ODP is decreasingly important given the DAs and MLS academies.

As for the third, meh, I'm just not buying it. By all reports, the ODP, say, is less diverse than one would expect. And, if nothing else, if there were some mandate toward diversity at the USSF, the women's team would look way different.

Sure, but I hardly think that applies to the U23s except in the very attenuated sense that it affects who goes pro.

You mean let an incompetent coach lead a squad of surly, over-the-hill prima donnas?

Seriously, what do you mean? You're not arguing that somehow it was the "diversity" of the French squad that blew up in their faces in 2010?

3. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the feeling OnTheRoadAgain may have some "ethnic preferences" of his own.....

4. OnTheRoadAgain

OnTheRoadAgain Red Card

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    KKS Lech Poznan
    I do have ethnic preferences.....with countries that have a track record of producing world class talent. That was the whole point of my post.

Sebastian Lletget is Argentine/Italian. That's a nation(s) that has a track record of producing loads of world class talent. So where was he?

Andrew Wenger is German. Another nation that has great talent production. Where was he? Where were all our other young Germans like Andrew Wooten, Dominque-Farrel, etc?

It's not a coincidence that the best US players in the past 10 years follow the same pattern:

Cherundolo - Italian
    Reyna - Argentine/Portuguese
    Friedel and Keller - German
    Dempsey and Donovan - Irish
    John Harkes - English father
    Ramos - Paraguay (or Uruguay?)
    Howard - American/Hungarian
    Hejduk - Czech Republic
    Mathis - German

5. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... not sure if serious...

6. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    He's suggesting Jim Crow is the way to go.

7. OnTheRoadAgain

OnTheRoadAgain Red Card

Mar 23, 2012
    Club:
    KKS Lech Poznan
    So in the Olympic 100m and 200m track and field event, should we field a few Anglo-Saxons just for the sake of diversity? Of course not. Everyone knows people of Caribbean and African-American origin dominate.

You use your strengths to your advantage. That's the whole point - going with what works!

8. schwefumbler

schwefumbler Member

Mar 9, 2011
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Long live post-racial 'Murrica.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, I have German, English, and Russian ancestry. If only I had known it would make me World Class, I would have played much better....:rolleyes:

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has committed a heinous crime and now will be put down.