Team Name

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by socceriscoolusa, Nov 1, 2003.

1. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    I would love club deportivo Los Angeles but if they want to break completely from the old image I'm leaning towards Atletico club Los Angeles. Tie in the LACounty crest somehow into the badge

2. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There are teams in Mexico and other places that use FC that mean fútbol club. But, the CF or FC isn't the name, it's Los Angeles. For example, Toronto FC. The name of the team is Toronto, the FC just tells us its a football club. In my opinion there's nothing better than naming your team after the city your playing in. Now, if there's 2 teams in the same city then yeah, name it something else.

3. Atomic Fury

Atomic Fury BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There won't be any Club Deportivo this or that. MLS stated that the rebranding will be a clean departure from CD Chivas USA.

Los Angeles Aztecs is a cool sounding name but I don't like the faux linkage to Alpha NASL predecessors that pervades the West Coast franchises.

California this or that is another way to go, but there too is something I frown upon. Calling a team by it's state name doesn't bring in any more fans.

LAFC seems simple enough but my gut tells me MLS will prefer something a little more imaginative. What that name could be is anyone's guess, but suffice it to say, anything is better than naming the club after a long-ago cancelled television program like Miami is considering.

For me, LAFC would do just fine.

4. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Of course it would, because LAFC is totally British.

5. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O

I'll get right on the phone with someone from the club and let them know some random human 3,000 miles away is good with LAFC, it will make their day, promise.

:p

Gameface repped this.
  6. Atomic Fury

Apr 30, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I'm not.

7. Atomic Fury

Apr 30, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While you're at it, do the same for everyone else who commented. I'm sure they'll appreciate it more.

8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    So is this team gonna have a Latin vibe or not? If not, then I won't bother. I figured since the courts blocked MX from having a team in your town (total BS), then at least you should have a Latin-themed team.

Why anyone would prefer an anglo team is beyond me. Name this team to fully Spanish and market it primarily to the Latin community. It will become successful, then hopefully someday it can join MX somehow. But don't give it a dorky name. If you want dorkiness, you have the galaxy. Go with them.

9. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL...:rolleyes:

Gameface repped this.
  10. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my point, the opinions of the other people posting here ACTUALLY matter, as there are , more or less, Chivas fans. Your opinion means significantly less as you won't follow the team regardless, so who cares what you think, take it over to N&A, MLS General, or you be the Don.

Gameface and CTS26 repped this.
  11. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    LOL, are you Oliver Tse in disguise?

12. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If you are going to ask the question, at least frame it correctly.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, et a quibus Latina vibe, an non? :p

Someone else can correct the grammar.

13. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006

Hahaha. That was just.....AWESOME!!!

14. LosYunai

LosYunai Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Miami/Cartagena
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ok, im not really caught up on everything thats going on but heres what my ignorant view is.

i think that targeting the team towards a Mexican culture or Latin culture is a bit of a gamble, because most people of latin origin already have a team in their homeland, so targeting people who will see the a club as a second club, or something to entertain themselves with because they are far form their real club.

maybe it could be something that represents the half American half Latin culture that many kids adopt, since so nay Latin kids have a some limited Spanish, and don't really fit into one culture , they are in a limbo.

if a club can make these people feel identified with the club, i think they have a a good market with fans that can fully adopt the club as something that is theirs, but not just limiting themselves with that fanbase. who knows maybe they will get a nationwide following form people who feel this way.

having said that i personally dont see anything worng with a spanish name, but i understand the concerns of the people that do. i think that they are worried for a club to be exclusive to a certain race, but i see it as a club that values the diversity of the city

in Miami we have the same issue, but miami is a bit different, because there really aren't any real americans in miami. i think ive met about 3

15. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These guys?
    [​IMG]
    I think that they are actually based in Orlando, but they do travel a lot... And the one on the right is no longer a Real American

16. LosYunai

LosYunai Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Miami/Cartagena
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    idk if i should feel ashamed or not, but i have no clue who those people are

17. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Todos en Miami son verdaderos Americanos. Recuerdate que America es un continente, y la mayoria de Hispanos tienen ascendencia aqui mas largo que gueros.

LosYunai repped this.
  18. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    According to Sancadilla, a Mexican sports journalist. MLS will announce the new owners of Chivas USA after the WC. The team has already been sold to a Mexican businessman living in LA. He goes on to say that the team will keep its Latin theme and that he might revive the LA Aztec name. A new coach will arrive and it's looking like it will be Benjamin Galindo who apparently is already learning English.

Sancadilla is pretty reliable in my opinion so we will see

19. Truhero

Truhero Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Section 101
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link?

20. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  21. Truhero

Truhero Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Section 101
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nooooooooooo. Another Mexican ownership will surely kill this club off. For starters having Benjamin Galindo as new coach is bad & when we have Cabrera. Aztecs is just stupid.

glyconerd repped this.
  23. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why would galindo be bad? He is a proven coach in a very good league. I would give him the benefit of a doubt

porque? repped this.
  24. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Galindo is a great coach. He was one of my favorites when he had santos firing on all cylinders. I don't care if our owner is Mexican or Martian as long as he spends the money we need to compete and be top tier. Aztecs is not bad....not original but not bad. I grew up in San Diego and San Diego Aztecs was a cool name , however I think we would be better going with something more generic.

Also I heard the same rumor that the owners were going to announce after the World Cup last month

25. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Before they make the same mistake of playing or catering to one ethnicity. We as the true fans of this club should jockey for part ownership or socio ownership. We'd be the first MLS fanbase to do it. We have to have so many members and pay a certain amount into it but each region would get so many votes depending on the population size. We elect heads or alcaldes of the colonia, region, burrow, flat etc. and we get to have a shared governance vote on coaches, players, acquisitions, policies etc. we should make a forum to write this up and get it started. I live in the Inland Empire and would love to start a chapter or colonia here

USFootiefan1980 and glyconerd repped this.