Team band?

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Mar 22, 2006.

1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This sounds a little odd to me lbut hey more atmosphere is more atmosphere.

From the Dynamo website team notes:

HOUSTON -- Houston Dynamo announced today the creation of a band, which will be composed of fans who want to "bring on the power" at all Dynamo home games.

The group, which will be under the direction of Dr. Aubrey Tucker, will be made up by a drum line, brass, and saxophone players, who will not only perform at home, but also travel with the team.

Dr. Tucker has long been associated with sports music in Houston, being the founding director of the University of Houston's Cougar Brass and Cougar Dolls. Auditions for the band will be held on Saturday, March 25, 2006, at the Houston Community College Town and Country. Rehearsals will be from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for Drums and Percussion, and from 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. for the full band.

Interested musicians should contact Dr. Tucker at 713-682-1007, or atucker1@houston.rr.com.

2. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they needed a guitar player....

I heard Celttex say they were looking to combine the European/Central/South American atmosphere, with a college type atmosphere, and that is where the pep band comes into play.

rock

bford

3. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope the "Band" will be in the supporter's section. Concentrating the "atmosphere" coul be a good thing.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Ha Hah Aha Ha Hah Aha Ah

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    You guys may take a lot of crap over this, but as a musician and Quakes supporter I would have loved it if the Quakes did this. And I think it's a good alternative to always having canned music, as long as it doesn't get in the way of supporter chants and stuff. The San Francisco 49ers, during their heyday, had a team band. Professional musicians, first class, the way the Niners used to do things. But it doesn't have to be "professional". It could just be a bunch of fans who play and put some energy into it to add to the atmosphere.

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    I hope they get this right and it doesn't seemed forced with them playing music that doesn't really fit with a soccer atmosphere. I also hope it doesn't discourage fans from bringing instruments and making their own music.

7. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way I can think this could be good is if they play the tune of "The Great Escape" and shout Houston at the end of it like in England's 98 World Cup song.

8. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, if you spread it, it'll be like stareo. Stuff going on all over is what the casual fan buys into. IMOYMMV

9. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston
    As long as they keep the music simple (and have parts where the rest of the crowd can join in by either singing or shouting a word or short phrase) I kind of like the idea ... in theory at least.

10. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if the other team goes up by 2 goals a lone trumpeter/bugalist can play taps.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Think typical American football band here. There are using an experienced "band director". You think he's going to want to cooperate with supporter's groups? No way.

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, it could actually be really cool if they did New Orleans second line stuff and Brazilian samba beats. If it's "pep band" versions of "Eye of the Tiger" or something, not so cool IMO.

As for coordination with supporter groups, they will probably have to be educated.

13. LordGhoti

LordGhoti New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Houston
    I am talking about real easy stuff ... such as the crowd shouts one word at the end of the music.

14. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone has to ask: so, will Dynamo have something like the Cougar Dolls?

Cougar Dolls

Sidelines, Pep-rally’s, Parades, Pregames and other special engagements.

• Very Fit!

• Tight Stomach, legs, and body tone.

• High Kicks

• Longer Hair (below shoulders)

• Pom/Tight Dance Ability

• BIG smiles

15. footex

footex C'MON HOUSTON!!!

Feb 9, 2006
    HellRazinKop
    If the band dominates the supporters section and doesnt allow us to have our voice heard there will be massive complaints. It wont stand. Footy is about the fans not a band. I dont mind the band but we have to work in unison.

God help us....I hoope they dont screw it up.

16. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I'm worried about. You won't be able to hear the chanting over the band. And you know the microphones are going to go right by that section. :mad:

17. DPir1320

DPir1320 Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Spring, TX
    It'll probably be like the Texans, the band guys play before the games and then sometimes at halftime. They need to do like the Texans and get some local bands to play before the games.

18. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "GOALS! GOALS GOALS!"
    "For the Orange, Black, and Blue!"
    "GOALS! GOALS GOALS!"
    "For the Orange, Black, and Blue!"

I keed, I keeed

19. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *neg reps*

:p

Simon definitely does not approve.

20. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, if we had a rock band we be the wickedest team in the league!!!

Imagine, Chromatic Death on a set piece. Screaming For Vengeance after an opponents goal! The possibilities are endless.

21. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks to me like they want something like the MOB! It could be cool if they do it right.

-Louie

22. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken I think there was a band in the England vs. Uruguay friendly that just happened recently. Or maybe it was just a few drunk Englanders with horns and trumpets. :)

23. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe Celttex is already looking into having them learn some of the songs the supporters are going to sing....

he talked about it some at the last kickaround/meeting/timeofgreatsoreness

rock

bford

24. nobius

nobius BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 3, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we have a sombrero day and the entire Supporters Group gets with the band and plays "Ay yay yay ya..." and changes a few lines for Sylvia.

25. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh can we pleeeeease sing that! That was my all time favorite thing ever at the US/Mex game. I was begging to do it at the Guatemala game but people said Guatemalans didn't wear sombreros.

We have to do it for Chivas though. WEEEAAARRR-OOOO