TDIF: MLS, Kraft Planning To Sell/Relocate Revolution after 2013?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by VTSoccerFan, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    if you are going to Revs games at Gillette in 5 years, then I'll be the one laughing at you.

2. It's-A-Trap

It's-A-Trap Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Oh it will suck undoubtedly to be there, but I like watching soccer. Hell maybe by some miracle we get an SSS, but what I am saying is nothing will change.

3. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    well I do agree that if this team doesn't move to another city, it is never going to be in an SSS. So regardless, this team basically doesn't exist no matter what happens.

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, you're right about one thing. The Revs will surely still be playing at Gillette in five years. But do you honestly consider that to be winning? Sounds awful to me.

5. It's-A-Trap

It's-A-Trap Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Reality... no.

In terms of the argument of the likelihood of these claims...yes

6. Fire Mike Burns

Aug 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As Bob always says...
    [​IMG]

7. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs register so low in the region's sports awareness that I doubt this sort of storyline would get much play. A non-soccer-fan friend of mine from Miami once asked me, "yeah, don't we have the Fusion?" when MLS came up. That was 2006. This would be a similar situation.

8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ask pretty much any Raiders fan how effective that rule is in a court of law

9. Fire Mike Burns

Aug 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Austin Cowan ‏@skobebro
    A lot of talk today about #Revs relocating to Baltimore. Any base to that @RevsPrez ??

Brian Bilello ‏@RevsPrez
    @skobebro None. If you are referring to the email that some have seen, it is a hoax.

https://twitter.com/RevsPrez/status/237593894974545920

10. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that wrapped that up in a neat little bow

11. Fire Mike Burns

Aug 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's just what "The Man" would want you to believe... man...
    [​IMG]

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  12. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    So we are now supposed to believe the lying liars? lmao

13. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but as a big soccer fan I can tell you this. I don't give ten flying F's about AC Milan, and I am sick of the glorified exhibition matches, have found many of them to be extremely lacking, and this current crop of AC Milan had just lost arguably its best attraction in Ibra. Yes, the game still should have had at least 30K there. No one is making excuses for that (well, maybe the Revs front office is). But I can tell you that personally, I am much more interested in seeing a Euro giant play the Revs, or in two Euro giants - particularly two that I haven't seen before - play each other, than I am in going to see a game that was a bungled mess from the start.

14. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sure, you are sick of them....but you are one person.

15. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Judging by the fact that only 17K showed up, I'd say I'm not the only one.

16. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'd hate to be the low man on the Tavolino Pizza Gourmet totem pole come Fall 2013.

17. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As most have pointed out, and everyone else should have been able to see with two eyes, that entire event was botched from the very beginning. It says infinitely more about the incompetence of KSG, than it does of the markets willingness to consume international friendlies.

18. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My eyes are wide open, as I said that I thought it was a bungled mess from the start.

19. Fire Mike Burns

Aug 16, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Doublecard repped this.
  20. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Soooooo, exactly what is your point then?

21. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plausible and works for MLS, but I'm not seeing how it works for the Krafts. Why do the Krafts maintain a minority interest in Baltimore? Is this because the local ownership group can't bankroll independently? Why not sell the team 100%? The option would most likely not be exercised, I don't see that happening, so I agree this would mean a 10-year MLS layoff for Boston.

22. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, MLB CAN and HAS stopped a few franchise moves in the past 30 years, due largely to their antitrust exemption. (The Giants' all-but-consummated move to St. Pete in the late '80s was the most recent example.) However, they didn't stop the Expos' move to Washington because... they owned the team and wanted to GTFO of The Big Owe.

And if Kraft wanted to move the Revs, there is not a chance in hell that the other owners would stop him, just like no one lifted a finger to stop AEG from moving the Earthquakes out of the #6 media market back in 2005.

That being said, I'm extremely skeptical about this email.

23. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have one.

24. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Equation for that disappointment is simple enough: AC Milan team with zero starpower + non-MLS/Liga MX CONCACAF opponent + $40 parking = 17k fans.

Regarding the original topic - this definitely reads like one of those "medium" predictions where facts, reasonable conjecture and popular assumption can snowball into a credible rumor. It pretty much follows that template to the letter.

If the Revs ever move, I'll be sad for a wide variety of reasons, and despite all of the incredibly well-documented problems with the team, I still consider them a "signature" MLS franchise along with DCU and the Galaxy (for better or worse). I will be very, VERY curious however, if any notable FO names are sent packing following this season as this email is hinting. I think Heaps is safe if he wants to be, but like I said in the "Bust" thread I wouldn't be surprised if he just throws his hands up and quits.

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this thread is still open?