"Tchani coming into his own as starter"

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Apr 20, 2014.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I eagerly anticipate the responses to this article. hehehehe

http://www.thecrew.com/blog/post/2014/04/18/tchani-coming-his-own-starter

2. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    The articles on the Crew site are always crap.

PR pieces pretending they are analysis.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  3. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cody Sharrett must be The Borg's sock puppet.

Bill Archer repped this.
  4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tchani has his moments, but they are way too few and far between.

On the whole he's pretty much worthless and if TheCrew.com wants to be credible they shouldn't try and lie to people who know better.

5. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    It may be giving him too much credit but he's definitely made huge improvements under this staff compared to what we have seen in the past.

He definitely still has some wtf moments but they haven't been as glaring and he's made some contributions.

6. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Nobody wants to pass to him. Higuain especially makes a special effort to make a more difficult pass than an easy one to Tchani. Sure he has improved from previous seasons but he does not really offer anything special. For example is passing is ok but he rarely springs a forward or makes a rapid switch of sides. He doesn't really tackle, he is tall but doesn't really win headers, he is a big unit but does not really get stuck in and he is not quick. I think we can do better.

American Brummie repped this.
  7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I really wish Pipa didn't look like RoadRunner starting his spinning wheels whenever he starts any forward momentum.

8. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much of that is the wet pitch? I mean you see guys slipping and sliding all game long from the dousing it gets pre-match and during intermission.

Might be mitigated in the summer when it's hot and the sun dries it up quickly, but while it's cool still? That pitch stays wet the whole game.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I sometimes wonder whether the people who write this think they are doing some good or do they just sit around and giggle about the crap they are peddling.

Bill Archer and Lucky Day repped this.
  10. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I would guess zero percent of it, since we are known for having the best grounds crew in MLS and I would like to think the players or coaching staff would let them know if they had a problem with it.

11. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Yet three weeks ago many folks on this board were talking about how amazing of an improvement TT had made in the off-season and was starting to look the part of the player he was coming out of college. A few less than impressive games (team wide mind you) and back to the guillotine with his awful self...

12. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I was of the view that people were so blinkered that perhaps it was possible that instead of Tchani being bad, it was his role in a coaches set up that did not allow him to play at his best. He improved under Bliss, and then again under Gregg. Having seen more of him this season in consecutive games, he does ok but I can't think of anything really special about him. Actually I will say that he has some quick feet and can get out of small spaces well (i..e when a couple of players are around him). I would be interested to see his pass completion rate as Saturday I thought it was pretty good and has been improving over the first couple of games.

13. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is without a doubt, no where, NO WHERE!, near as bad as he was the last two seasons. I'm still not a fan. His lack of consistency is frustrating, but as a big physical presence that isn't afraid to get stuck in, I think he has a purpose as an enforcer-type.

14. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Tchani completely shit the bed marking Michael Bradley in the TFC game. Not that most people don't. That's the only analysis I can offer since Crew games are no longer televised. Matt Calvert had a solid game, though.

ZipSix, stanger and fidlerre repped this.
  15. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Golden Corral might be a step up from Waffle House but please don't try to tell me it's a five star meal.

16. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Tchani is a terrible player and no amount of puff pieces coming from Propaganda Central is going to change that fact.

17. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Saying someone "improved" is not the same as saying they're amazing. I don't think anyone is saying he's best XI material.

18. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree there, sir. Last time at had Golden Corral, almost everything was entirely inedible, while you can at the least consume the Awful Waffle.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's a fluff piece about an overpaid underperforming player. The reason BigSoccer exists is because these comments would be deleted on Crew.com.

20. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    You have to have a certain, uh, mindset to eat Waffle House. Golden Corral at least has made to order grilled cheese.

21. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I'm referring to the opinions here on BS about Tchani, and I think most agree he is at least improving under GB. I don't expect him to win any awards but he may at least be an average player some day.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I agree with that but he is taking way too much time and salary for fans to hope he is average. The article is almost an insult.

23. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    you will all be voting for him earnestly in 15 years time for circle of honor inductee. you mark my wor.......

sorry could not keep a straight face on that.

24. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Viana should get a shot out there. He might be better than Tchani.
    Who else Paladini?
    Or do you put Anor there (like he played a few games last year) and put Oduro on the wing?
    Do we want to go back to constant tinkering with the lineup (bingo hopper returns) just to find someone who might kind of be better.
    I don't think Tchani is a liability like he has been the past few seasons. He does seem to pull at least on "how the hell did he do that" out of his a$$ once a game. Yes Michael Bradley made him look bad but he also made Trapp and Clark look foolish too. That shot was pretty awesome.

25. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm excited for Paladini to be fit. I think he'll be an upgrade over Trapp, though he still won't be as much as we need out of a 2nd center mid.