Tarantino's Next Project

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, May 30, 2011.

1. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    In that I haven't read or heard ANY comment of support for Lee's position. It's a critical and maybe financial success and I think it the end it will be Lee who will be more harmed for it.

2. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually backlash has some sort of weight to it. He's being ignored, which is different - unless that comment from Sarah Silverman counts as backlash.

3. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Granted not from famous people but I've read a LOT of comments against him from these comments not just ignoring him. I think he not only failed in creating negativity for the film but they will also bite him in the ass if it hasn't already (which I believe it has).

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Spike has a handful of good movies and lots of turds, especially lately. Tarantino has had a few missteps but overall BLOWS Spike out of the water IMO.

5. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I am kind of indifferent to both on the whole - Spike is a lot less consistent, but Do the Right Thing blows anything Tarantino has ever done out of the water as an example. I just think the quote of Spike's about the holocaust was stupid and not at all thought-through, given Inglorious Basterds was Tarantino's last film.

6. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I think most of the reason for his comments is his arrogant self belief and him not liking Tarantino. But I think part of why he doesn't like him is how QT has totally surpassed him in most people eyes.

I think Pulp Fiction is better than Do the Right Thing.

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Nope. And that's the extent of my argument. ;)

I am quite partial to Pulp Fiction, mind (even own a BMF wallet). Just can't say enough good about DDRT, mind.

8. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I think Pulp Fiction is better and I think critically more people agree with me but DDR is a great movie and it's debatable. What I don't think is close is the standing in careers from QT and Spike Lee, with Tarantino at a higher level.

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    A lot of people in the film industry despise Tarantino mind, Lee is probably on the whole held in higher regard among his peers - but Tarantino is of course the more successful commercially speaking. But after Raging Bull, DDRT is for an awful lot -the- consensus bet America Movie of the 1980s.

I do love both films mind, so don't take this as a shot at Pulp Fiction at all.

10. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Lee record after Do the Right Thing is nowhere near Tarantino's imo. In the last years what was probably his best movie critically, Inside Man, is a great film but would be considered Tarantino's least if he had made it. I don't know how anybody could held him in higher regard based on his first movies when his record has been average at best recently. And DDR is of course an elite film but so is Pulp Fiction and I think for the 90's it would be on similar level than DDR for the 80's.

Regardless, Lee is still a d-bag for most of his comments especially on Django. QT may have said a lot of crazy stuff but this movie is awesome and not at all disrespectful like Lee is trying make it.

11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Lee's best work - by far - in the past decade was his Katrina documentary.

12. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw Django last night. It was okay. Waltz was amazing, of course. But the last half hour or so was drawn out and a bit cartoonish.

13. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    So... a Tarantino film, then? :p

usscouse repped this.
  14. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Do the Right Thing but I dont think it would even break into Tarantino's Top 5.

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, you do have a sense of humour then! :p

16. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree. I'd only characterize Basterds and the awful Dusk to Dawn in that way (never saw Death Proof). If anything the ending of Kill Bill was almost understated....quiet even.

And yeah, Do the Right Thing is a masterpiece.

17. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Well, that i probably true for the most part. I just happened to see Basterds again the other day - and the ending is kind of embarrassing, really.

18. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This perception of Basterds is mostly due to the fact that the best two scenes of the movie come at awkward times within the narrative: the very first scene and La Louisiane. La Louisiane is a double-edged sword not unlike Bond's fight with Red Grant on the train in "From Russia with Love". Both should have been the climax of the movie, but the preceding narrative required more story to be told.

19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I liked DRT, but IMO Platoon, Full Metal Jacket & Once Upon A Time In America were better and all were runners-up to Raging Bull.

20. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Platoon I would agree with being in the same tier, but FMJ is not quite on the same par imo and I always found Once Upon a Time to be overrated in honest.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The first half of FMJ is as good as anything in the 80s.
    Second half, not so much.

22. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, that's always been my gripe with it too.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Personally I'd also add Mann's "Manhunter" to the list of best 80s movies.

24. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loved Django, but can't get the "mandingo" fight scene out of my head. I'm going to have nightmares about that for a long time. Most of the violence was cartoonishly presented, but that one was very real and made me ill.

25. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you a fan of Deadwood? If you were, you'll know why I'm asking.