Tar Heel free agents. Who will Parlow sign?

Discussion in 'Portland Thorns FC' started by WPS_Movement, Jan 13, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Oh, ok then. I was gonna say, I don't think Portland is close to signing a playmaking international midfielder at this point. For those that don't know Haley Matress, she'll be a good playmaking midfielder in a few years, but Portland needs help now.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It is one heck of a free agent class.
    Portland fans are getting some entertainment with their roster.
    And Parlow is not a boring coach.

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For those of you who have never heard of Michelle Weissenhoffer or seen her play. She has the best flip throw you will ever witness. Many flip throws look like wobbly ducks.
    Hers comes off of the sidelines like a sharp cross.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Best flip thrower in the history of women's futebol, anywhere.
    And look who she'll be flipping it to. Sinclair, Long, Morgan (rebound in the box), Kerr, etc.

6. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Any mention of the flip throw must contain an homage to the grandmama of the maneuvre, one Kim Pickup. Her's certainly weren't "wobbly ducks" unlike most of the imitators.

7. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    Is there enough room between the ad boards and the sideline for a flip throw to be taken?

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Right. But Weissenhofer's are no imitations, trust me on this one. I have seen it when she played at Notre Dame and with the Red Stars and it is a potent weapon. Now... do I expect her to start? No. She is a forward and there are 2 forwards for Portland that we know will start. But when she does come in and the Thorns have a the ball out of bounds close to the opposing goal, you can bet that SP will use her flip.
    She whips that thing into the goal mouth with accuracy, speed and low velocity.

Best I've ever seen.

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have seen her do this in the smallest of spaces and be legal.

10. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    It was fun to watch last season on the stream. Her's is very similar to Kim Pickup's. I would probably give the edge to Weissenhofer.

11. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil