News: Tannenwald: Atlanta in as #22

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lfcli30, Apr 6, 2014.

1. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As some who lives in the southeast i agree. I would say it has gotten better here in the last 5 years or so. 10 years ago when i would bring up soccer the conversation would immediately go to how people thought the rules should change to make it higher scoring and more "American". I don't really hear that anymore. The thing people here still get upset about is all the injury faking and i can say as a lifelong soccer fan it still pisses me off too.

terrier repped this.
  2. NDfootballer7

NDfootballer7 Member

Sep 23, 2011
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Interesting note from an article on the law firms that advised Arthur Blank on the deal:

http://www.dailyreportonline.com/ho...2617074542&curindex=2&slreturn=20140321213212

Looks like the $70mm expansion figure is a general figure going around, given what Orlando City SC paid to get into MLS. What I thought was more interesting were the specific tidbits related to the fact that the official negotiations took 4 months, which they considered record time. Seems like the deal was made just in time prior to the WC and new TV deals being negotiated.

Though, no more specific details in regards to the single entity, other than the M&A of the local holding company which owns the operating rights to the franchise.

jayd8888 and fuzzx repped this.
  3. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    You're right. But being from the 'old school' myself, well...

4. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Atlanta succeeds. Major League Soccer needs a solid footprint in the Southeast along with Orlando and Atlanta may very well be it.

FC Zanarkand Abes! repped this.
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't know how it is where you live but down in the South even a U-8 academy team plays all year long and trains a minimum of twice a week. Being an academy dad myself I know the amount of time that you can spend on it. Sounds like the Blanks have been doing this for a long time now.

6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Now that you mention it, last year the Georgia Shakespeare Festival had Iago clad in an orange smock and tool belt! Hmmmm.

7. Last Line of Defense

Jul 2, 2013
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have a question for the people around Atlanta. What's the location like for the stadium? Location to me is always a huge issue. I actually think the ownership will be fine, out of all the NFL owners Blank is one of the few to me who would do a decent job with a MLS team. Question is will enough people consistently show up?

8. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

There is no ideal location for a stadium in Atlanta due to the sheer enormity of the metro area and the lack of adequate transportation infrastructure. Having said that, I believe a downtown stadium makes more sense for MLS and the NFL than for the Braves. Getting to downtown is fairly quick and painless for most of the metro on the weekend. However, weekday games will be an absolute nightmare in Atlanta.

Barbieri repped this.
  9. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right in the heart of SEC land. How can this not go well for Atlanta's MLS franchise? :rolleyes:

10. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    yes, the entire 5 and a half million atlanta metro population is a homogeneous group of SEC zombies. obviously the countries 9th largest city (last in the top 10 without an MLS team) is doomed to failure! MLS should focus on cities ranked 50+ with 25% of the population if they REALLY want to lay down a national footprint for long term success!

11. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll admit to being a skeptic. That said, I know of at least a few college programs in Georgia (Mercer, Georgia State, Georgia Southern) so there is some support for soccer below the professional level. The positives are there for Atlanta, and it is a major untapped market. I'm just unsure if an MLS franchise will succeed in capturing any audience.

trip76 repped this.
  12. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    that's a far more reasonable post then a throw away comment about it being SEC territory implying they are going to be a bust because of it. your concerns are valid, i just think they are over blown. with a metro population the size of atlanta, and with atlanta teams often pulling fans from the general south east area, i think they have a leg up compared to many other teams.

13. jdgaucho

jdgaucho Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current MLS schedule benefits Atlanta right off the bat; their only real competition during the spring and summer will be the Braves, and there's more than enough people for both teams to share. But if the league ever switched their season to match the Europeans it would go up against high school and college football, and the Falcons. As long as the league keeps their schedule status quo it should be okay.

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    High school and college football run August to November. The MLS regular season overlaps almost all of that. Not quite the same percentage with the NFL but close.

If MLS switched to fall to spring it would overlap almost the same amount of the football season depending on how the winter break was constructed. A little more but not a huge amount.

I never understand this reasoning.

15. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Because the Dynamo and FCD are doing terribly right in the heart of Friday Night Lights land? TFC, the Whitecaps and the Impact are doing badly in the heart of hockey land? Atlanta is a huge city, it will do fine in MLS given committed ownership.

crazypete13 and harrylee773 repped this.
  16. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Qatar throws enough money at Europe, we can expect to hear more comments from select clubs who question why they don't play in the summer, and supporting arguments from bean counters estimating how much money could potentially be lost due to inclement winter weather. Of course nothing will kill the momentum faster than Blatter saying, "Why don't we follow the lead of the Americans?"

17. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    first off, there is no shortage of leagues that have schedules more in line with MLS than europe. second, there were conversations being had about switching to summer schedules before qatar bought the world cup.

18. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First off, I'm talking about the European leagues that would need to alter their schedules to work around a winter WC in 2022, and secondly, money has a way of influencing people that haven't progressed past the "Maybe we should do something about that" stage. Thirdly, I'm a skeptical, sarcastic, SOB.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it's largely flawed reasoning

KCbus repped this.
  20. ldcda

ldcda Member

Jul 1, 2012
  21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barbieri, harrylee773 and deejay repped this.
  22. joehooligan0303

joehooligan0303 Member+

Dec 16, 2001
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who lives in the southeast (4.5 hours drive from Atlanta), I can tell you that many people in the southeast will see this as their team. The soccer fans I know that live near me are very excited and we all plan to travel to games often. If I didn't have young children (one of them won't be that young in 2017) that I don't want to take to Atlanta every other weekend I would most likely be buying season tickets. If they offer a half-season pack I will probably be purchasing it. I can't promise you all fans in a 4-5 hour radius will feel this way but there is a good chance many will.

This team will draw from much more than just the Atlanta metro area. I think people are going to be surprised.

23. Alabama Soccer

May 28, 2008
    Montgomery, AL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! I live about three hours away. I'm a founder of the club and also hope they offer a half-season package. Atlanta is really the only city that will have a chance to represent the south. Sure I wish Birmingham could get a team, but I know there isn't a snowballs chance in hell of that happening. ATL is the south's club.

24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Repped for being an all out fan and willing to make a 4 hour trip regularly.

25. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I live in Alabama too. I have put down my seat deposit and joined TL . I know that there are more people from Al that are on BS that have done the same .