Switzerland: Road to Brazil 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by RobtheAggie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
  2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Servette fan it is nice to see a player called up, but I agree that Rufli is an interesting choice. Sutter and Schwegler are much better than he is. We shall see.

3. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    If Hitzfeld was trying to please Geneva (which I suspect he was) he should've gone for Vitkieviz

4. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I concur.

5. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    well, Sutter hasn't been playing much recently as a sub at YB. Schwegler is not really the same position. Guess the choice was having somebody for the right side as Degen and Behrami are also out injured or just being back from injury.

6. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Yeah he is, Christian, not Pirmin. Ok Sutter not getting much playing time but still has played about half of the total minutes so far. Gelson can also be deployed at right back if need be.

Mehmedi as the lone front man vs Holland? My expectations are non-existant

More about Christian Schwegler: He's played 30 european matches over the years. Got to be our most internationally experienced player not to have earned a call-up.

7. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Emeghara misses out as well

8. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Derdiyok back for the Luxemburg game

10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is what I want to see today from the Swiss:
    1. Score three or more goals, at least two from forwards.
    2. Control the match and limit LUX to less than three shots on goal.
    3. Near 60% of the possession.
    4. Keep the same intensity as in the 2nd half against the Netherlands.

What will we see:
    1. 1-0 win with a goal from a midfielder.
    2. Control, but not domination.
    3. Lackluster performance.

11. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    I like your style.

Is 'Lackluster' a Swiss FB ;)

Just as an aside: I'm a Radio Amateur (Ham) and had a chat with KF4ZZY in Atlanta Georgia a few hours ago.

Boy, I just luurve that 'Deep South' accent.

12. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    well, it came as it had to come, but I'm positive

why?

because since 2 years I'm claiming that Hitzfeld has to improve the attacking movement and that we need also friendly matches vs teams like Liechtenstein to practice and to improve our attacking movement to overcome teams like Albania, Montenegro and co

yes, it was a bad match yesterday as expected, but no it was not useless as they need to practice this.

having claimed that Hitzfeld needs to bring on the young players and prepare the WC he should have the possibility now to give his best to qualify for the WC and do a good WC

yes, we should have the best possible team at the Olympics, but the A-team deserves priority to prepare the WC qualifiers. However, for the Liechtenstein match, it should be possible to have some of the players at the Olympics. The FA should have a look into the calendar and check whether it cannot be combined better. Are the exact dates for the Olympic matches known, I mean when the first round will be played. Of course, not all federations have decided who will play at the Olympics yet.

In the end, I'm glad that we have won at least yesterday, that's also a bit important for our ranking. But we still have to improve the attacking movement. A 4-2-3-1 can work very well if the striker is at his best and if the wings bring the passes. I always remember Sporting Lisbon with Jardel up front and Barbosa(later Ronaldo)-Joao Pinto-Quaresma behind as working example. But contrary to Derdiyok, Jardel really was just waiting for the balls up front.

13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on all parts. I understand why these matches are important. I know about building for the future, and Hitzfield seems to be going in that direction with some success.

14. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
  15. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    guess this fact is going to be investigated by several journalists now:rolleyes:

Hitzfeld should have been sacked and replaced by Favre while Favre was without a job... the moment would still be not too bad as the young players have gained some experience in the meanwhile as Hitzfeld was almost forced to use them. However, I don't know who the ideal replacement would be right now.

another point - Gelson needs to find a new club next winter as he is not even on the bench at Leicester... back to Sion ??

16. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Yeah, a golden oppurtunity was missed when Favre was available, with Gladbach doing so well, I doubt he'll quit anytime soon. What other alternatives are there? I guess Koller was 2nd in line but with him just appointed Austria-coach he'll be safe there for at least a year.

I'd really like a swiss coach. Could Tami be the solution? Gross would probably also be in the mix as would Yakin. There are options but Favre is really the one I want in the long-term.

Gelson, in my eyes, has stood still in his development for 3-4 years. Don't think he'll ever be starting material for the NT again. A return to Sion would be nice for the club. Too bad P. Schwegler is in the 2nd Bundesliga and Lustenberger is barely coming off the bench for Hertha. There aren't many alternatives behind Inler, Dzemaili and Behrami (we shouldn't raid the U21s for more players 'til the qualification is over).

Wouldn't mind seeing Salatic called up even though he is in Cyprus.

17. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Servette? As for a replacement for Hitzfeld, Gus Hiddick is now available. He would be great!

18. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Gelson to Servette would be a great move.

Gus is certainly a good coach but A. He demands a big salary B. He is getting old. I am also of the opinion that it would take a swiss coach to really unite this multicultural squad and really get them to fight as a team. In this aspect things looked better under Köbi Kuhn.

19. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    Last I heard *Guss Hiddink* was lining himself up for some 'job for the boys' at Chelsea, so I doubt that he'll be interested in the Swiss job (after failing to get Turkey to the EC's) on a fraction of the money he'll receive at Chelsea.

GH is 'yesterday's man' and should be pensioned off.

I'm all for Lucien Favre (or Marcel Koller?).....or even Heinz Hermann!* (please)

i.e. Someone who's played football at international level for Switzerland rather than someone who just makes 'loadsamoney' by managing assorted countries and fails to bring success.

All my above choices have managerial experience at a Swiss/German/Liechtenstein level and have far more kudos than renegade/mercenary managers liike Hitzfeld and Hiddink who just go where the money is.

Ah well, wait and see I suppose.

* The best Swiss player ever (in my lifetime).....but I appreciate that an excellent player doesn't always make an excellent manager.

20. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    yes, Hiddink is getting old...

Gross is also too much defense and control based and not playing a very direct style...

Tami could be a solution as he is more influenced by Favre...

21. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    yes, why not. Pizzinat has never been more than average SL level, Nater played quite well in CL, but does not really have the same impact in SL, Pont has rather a CL level than a SL level, so yes Gelson could be a good partner for Kouassi in DM. Both have a similar playing style and both are winning a lot of balls. Guess Pizzinat might retire at the end of the season, so maybe Servette could keep Nater and Pont as subs. Otherwise, we always need somebody like Moubandje who takes over the DM part.

Servette has to get stronger in defense. Schneider and Schlauri rather have CL level, Roderick is only on loan. But Ruefli, Moubandje, Baumann and Routis should be kept. Diallo could be kept as a sub.

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The schedule is out, only now needs to be approved by FIFA.

Code:
    7 septembre 2012 (Friday)
    Islande – Norvège
    Albanie – Chypre
    Slovénie – [B]Suisse[/B]

11 septembre 2012 (Tuesday)
    Chypre – Islande
    [B]Suisse [/B]– Albanie
    Norvège – Slovénie

12 octobre 2012 (vendredi)

[B]Suisse [/B]– Norvège
    Albanie – Islande
    Slovénie – Chypre

16 octobre 2012 (mardi)

Chypre – Norvège
    Islande – [B]Suisse[/B]
    Albanie – Slovénie

22 mars 2013 (vendredi)

Slovénie – Islande
    [B]Suisse[/B] – Chypre
    Norvège - Albanie

7/8 juin 2013 (vendredi/samedi)

Albanie – Norvège
    Chypre – [B]Suisse[/B]
    Islande - Slovénie

6 septembre 2013 (vendredi)

[B]Suisse [/B]– Islande
    Norvège – Chypre
    Slovénie – Albanie

10 septembre 2013 (mardi)

Islande – Albanie
    Norvège – [B]Suisse[/B]
    Chypre – Slovénie

11 octobre 2013 (vendredi)

Slovénie – Norvège
    Islande – Chypre
    Albanie – [B]Suisse[/B]

15 octobre 2013 (mardi)

Norvège – Islande
    Chypre – Albanie
    [B]Suisse [/B]– Slovénie 
    I like this, starting at Slovenia and finishing at home against them is a plus. The travel between Slovenia and CH is minimal for the second match-day. Weather should not be a problem. The 3rd adn 4th matches I am a little more leary. Home vs. Norway is fine, then a quick turnaround to away in Iceland is problamatic. Back to Back vs Cyprus is fine then the reverse fixtures. I do not like the idea of going to Albania with a great need for points, but other than that, this is a good schedule.

23. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Mattia Desole wants to play with the Feltschers for Venezuela

25. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Kerim Frei started vs Chelsea and had a good game. We must call him up before Turkey or Morocco get their hands on him. Jol singled him out for special praise after the game. There is something about Martin Jol coaching 18-year old swiss left wingers in London;)