Switzerland: Road to Brazil 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by RobtheAggie, Jul 27, 2011.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: World Cup 2014 draw and matches [r]

I almost like being in pot three over pot two. Less pressure, more opportunity for teams to overlook them.

4. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering

Anyone but Turkey from Pot 2? ;)

5. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm

Norway, Slovenia, Switzerland, Albania, Iceland, Zyprus

What a group!! How on earth was Norway in pot 1???

On the downside, there are super easy teams in this group. Zyprus, Albania and Iceland should not be underestimated.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow! The Swiss got a group that should give them a chance to advance to the World Cup. Away matches in Albania and Cyprus could be tricky, but I like the Swiss chances.

7. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm

On the downside, there are no super easy teams in this group. Zyprus, Albania and Iceland should not be underestimated.

8. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering

Indeed.

As far as the English media are concerned it's not so much the 'Group of Death' but more the Group of 'Still Life' i.e. Boring.

However, it would seem that Switzerland have drawn the weakest of G1 & G2, but the stronger elements in G4-6.

All games are winnable or loseable....or drawable.

I suspect there actually will be a lot of draws in the group.

I'd be particularly wary of Albania though.

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think that the UK press should have a little more respect after the 2-2 draw in the last meeting with the Swiss. Also by the matches for 2014, more of the M21 team will be playing, a much more dynamic team than the current NT.

10. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    I agree wholeheartedly, but the trouble is there's no UK team in Switzerland's group.

Ergo, no coverage in the UK.

Just a load of drivel of how England will win the WC (again)

It's exceedingly hard being a fan of Switzerland in England.

Zero coverage (unless Switzerland are in the same group as a UK team)

Ah well, I'm quite happy for Switzerland to surprise 'everyone', and as you infer, given some extra months of development with the younger Swiss element the Group should be there for the taking - with caveats of course.

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swiss Road to Brazil 2016 WCQ [r]

One could argue that the Montenegro match was the first step. If so it was nice to begin with a 2-0 win.

The Swiss have scheduled a friendly with the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg for 15 November. There is not a location, nor a time yet. Maybe Thun or Luzern in the new stadiums?

Just as a reminder here is the WCQ group that the Swiss have:
    Albania
    Cyprus
    Iceland
    Norway
    Slovenia
    Switzerland

12. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Swiss Road to Brazil 2016 WCQ [r]

Rob, it's sooner than you think --2014!!!

Don't let moving to the SEC mess up your brain! ;)

13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oops, I was thinking about the Olympics, oops. Thanks for making the change.

14. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm

No doubt the future looks bright, here's some thoughts

Leftback: Could Rodriguez give Ziegler a real challenge? Hope so

Central Defence: Will Djourou/Senderos ever be fit and regulars in their clubs? Strongly doubt it and Djourou should look for a new club now that Arsenal got Mertesacker. I have lots of faith in Klose despite his debut. Other than that there's not much except Von Bergen, we have Rossini not a starter in Serie B which is a bit worrying. Meanwhile Affolter is very important for our U21. Feels like I'm forgetting someone.

Central midfield: With Dzemaili mostly a sub for Napoli will Behrami take his place next to Inler?

Left midfield: Will Barnetta and Stocker get back to their best after their injuries, can Barnetta reclaim his place in Leverkusen's starting XI? With only Mehmedi, Frei and Emeghara the left flank has looked weak

"10": Is Xhaka really ready to be a starter? We should work on some alternatives. Dzemaili, Barnetta, Costanzo and F. Frei are options. And this is probably the 100th time I'm saying Abdi should be called up. Things are looking up for him in Udinese right now. Please, no Margairaz!

Attack: Derdiyok definitely needs an understudy, I strongly doubt thet Emeghara or Mehmedi could play in the lone striker role. It's not really Ben Khalifa's style neither but I guess he's our biggest hope. Glad to see him and Seferovic back home

15. LEGENDofDEUTSCHLAND

LEGENDofDEUTSCHLAND New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    U.S.A
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    this is by far seem like the most easy group to get ticket to BRASIL,how come norway is seeded team?the swiss will go to world cup imo,if you cant beat norway and slovenia and other weakest three then you dont deserve to be in BRASIL though,or do you want GERMANY,SWEDEN and AUSTRIA?congratulation to SWISS team because it had could been worse heh?see you in BRASIL 2014 because we will destroy SWEDES once again as 2006 and AUSTRIA as of EURO 2012 qualification and those IRISH still fight for play-off 2012.:p

16. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

lb: what about Daprela... Ziegler has quite good speed, but he always tries flat passes which often are not played strong enough. He should show a bit more variation.

cd: yes, but that is really our achill tendon in defence. What about Senderos and Klose together as starters? Ferati is playing good at Freiburg, but does he have enough speed?

cm: there are several options in defense midfield. maybe this could be a spot for Behrami. Let's also see how Gelson and Schweglers situation develop. Lustenberger played very good at the U-21 EC. Kasami is playing often in his club. He should be called up at some point.

lm: has to be seen in combination with the left defence as well. I think Emeghara could bring something in this position. There are several candidates but nobody really forcing it. Kasami could also play it, but he is also rather defensive than offensive.

attack: also Derdyiok is young, yet. Mehmedi played the role quite ok at the U-21 Euro. And Ben Khalifa is not a lone striker either. Seferovic is also a bit small to be a lonely striker. Emeghara has to use his speed..

but why not changing the 4-2-3-1 into a 4-1-3-2 ? This would maybe solve both the defense midfield problem and the attack problem in the matches we have to win... we can keep the 4-2-3-1 vs the stronger oppositions.

17. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    There's no easy games in the qualifiers.

The best to hope for is 'friendly' match officials (who *always* determine the outcome of a game)

Formations/selections count for zilch if the ref blows his whistle at the 'wrong' time or one of his assistants raises a flag at the 'wrong' time.

Wales v Switzerland was a prime example of the match officials determining the result (rather than the players or managers)

All imho of course.

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two matches scheduled, both away:
    1 Novembre 2011 in the Netherlands at 20h30 at l’Amsterdam ArenA.
    15 November 2011 in Luxembourg at 20h15 at Stade Josy Barthel.

Another match scheduled:
    29 February 2012 in Berne at the Stade de Suisse on natural grass vs Argentina.

19. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    as you know probably this is based on the FIFA ranking... As Norway did not qualify for the last EC and WC they had not lost so many matches over the last four years. We ourselves had no qualifiers for the EC, then qualified for WC and were eliminated in the first round at both tournaments and ended up as the 17th European team in pot 3. Also still only one spot behind pot2...

but Norway did neither play the EC and WC where they would have lost some matches...

we didn't play the EC qualifiers where we would have won some matches

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Senderos is injured
    Rodriguez replaces Ziegler who is out injured. Otherwise, Rodriguez would have played with the U-21

22. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Good that Rodriquez gets more games, he would've joined up after the u21 match but now he gets to play both senior games, Rodriguez needs to replace Ziegler anyway as he's banned for a couple of games when the Qualification starts.

23. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Behrami and Derdiyok might miss both matches

24. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Moreno Costanzo and Vincent Rüfli called up.
    Rüfli, really?!

25. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Derdiyok misses out as well....

As for Rüfli's call-up..
    I understand not calling up Ph. Koch and Daprela as the U21s need them more. I understand not calling Berardi as he's (as have Daprela) been playing bad in the Serie B. What I don't understand is how on earth Rüfli, with 13 ASL games under his belt can get a call-up before a guy like Cristian Schwegler who's been a regular for top teams in Switzerland and Austria for years. Scott Sutter should also be way ahead in the pecking order.

Hope Rüfli proves me wrong though, I have nothing against him and I remember his fantastic goal last season, I just think Hitzfeld has really been unfair to players like Abdi and Schwegler over the years.