PBP: Sweden vs France: June 19 - Olympic Stadium [R]

Discussion in 'Group D - Ukraine, Sweden, France, England' started by JaredSS07, Jun 15, 2012.

1. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly, people forget Spain didn't score many at the World Cup and Villa was crucial.

Set plays is the way to beat them and crosses into their box. Infact I even think Sweden could give them a game with their height and physical power as they did to France.

IMO England are better equipped to frustrate Spain than France. France will try and take them on at their own game and may come off second best. But France do have a chance.

Bottom line, Spain are beatable and I don't think they will win it this time.

2. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I must say I clapped my hands for that goal !

Very strange side tonight, most of them looked as if they had a physical problem ; Mexes simply seemed to be ill. They were drained of energy. I really wonder where it does come from...A problem with the physical preparation ?

OK, maybe they were too complacent coming into this game but that lasts for 15 minutes not 90 !

As some journalists say, expect the unexpected from this side so I really don't know what to foresee for the Spain match ; I'm not afraid and neither should they, there is everything to gain from now on.

I also think that facing Spain is easier psychologically ; France are clearly the underdogs and there would be no shame being eliminated in the quarters by the title holders. The one thing that bothers me is indeed the physical aspect but maybe they'll feel better in Donetsk.

3. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think a lot of that is attributable to David Villa's injury-enforced absence. Spain was always going to miss a player who has scored 1.7 times more goals than Torres in 15 fewer games...

4. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They are missing Carles Puyol. I would have to rate him as one of the top centre-backs in European football. He really knows how to organize a defense...

5. soji22

soji22 Member+

Juventus FC
    France
    Feb 8, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I read an online commentary today wherein the author was of the opinion that after winning the last two major tournaments and the continued success of Spanish clubs in European competitions, Del Bosque's men may fail to find that extra gear needed to beat a younger, hungrier side in the quarterfinals. Success, while it feels good, does come with a psychological and emotional cost. I maintain that France must play with three hoding midfielders if they are to progress to the last four. I can see Benzema, Ribery, and Menez inflicting some major damage on counter-attacks.

6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    "Il ne faut pas se chercher d'excuses, ni la chaleur, ni la fatigue. Ils nous ont marché dessus", a lancé Samir Nasri.

A problem with mental preparation is 100% more likely.

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If France beat Spain I would not be shocked at all.

Although if they play as bad as they did today against Sweden they could get thrashed.

8. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i didn't mean to sound arogant, just that ukraine was going to be at least as difficult as sweden.

for france's débacle, i don't think arrogance is as good a word as would be complacency... or fatigue. for both these blame then lies squarely on laurent blanc's shoulders since he had plenty of players on his bench who were rested and also hungry to show what they could do.

france managed to do the one thing they needed to ensure against (not lose by more than one goal), and after 23 matches without losing that took some heroic doing, and above all a rare measure of idiocy. from his first statement to his last, in his choice of tactics and his choices of players to play, to try, to protect or to rest, to combine, to start or to sub, blanc blew EVERY decision he had to make, and badly.

thank god for wayne rooney is all we can say.