Swansea v Chelsea [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I can't believe this is a comment from a National referee. I would have expected something much better.
    Premeditated? It could not have happened if Hazard had stayed on the FOP as he should have done when it is a clear goal kick for the other team.

Baby? stomped? broken ribs? who ever said anything like that?
    Beyonce?
    This is a forum for referees, not for over the top exaggeration.

PH

SA14mars, Nestapele and billf repped this.
  2. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    This guy is a referee?????? Do you even know what violent conduct is?

Nestapele repped this.
  3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is debating the card was wrong?

4. Rafal Wlazlo

Rafal Wlazlo Member

Jan 22, 2013
    New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I will get serious for just one second (I'm just in a funny mood now). While we focus (rightfully so) on Hazard's actions and we all know he should have just let the referee handle it, let's also agree this kid even looks annoying. Yes - red card is surely justified. Now, can we go back to sticking it to the annoying kid? ;)

Doug the Ref and stanger repped this.
  5. Pat Chewning

Pat Chewning Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Beaverton Oregon
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Maybe the ballboys should not be assigned by the home club, but rather from a neutral source like the referee team?

6. Rafal Wlazlo

Rafal Wlazlo Member

Jan 22, 2013
    New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think my 4th official would like this lol.

7. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you kick my kid, I can promise you I'll have you arrested.

Justin Z and SA14mars repped this.
  8. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if Hazard wouldn't have gone over there, the goalkeeper has the ball back two seconds later, and it doesn't matter one tick since there is a substitution happening anyway.

usaref repped this.
  9. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just to comment on this, if you rewatch the video, you see the AR watching the entire incident. He knew what happened. At the professional level you don't need to wave you flag madly when something like this happens, you have your beep flags and headsets. Hazard was done, regardless of the reaction of Swansea.

10. Nestapele

Nestapele Member

Dec 10, 2005
    MD, USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Wow...Just wow. A statement like that completely eliminates any potential credibility you might have from your claim of being a national referee.

SA14mars repped this.
  11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only time a professional soccer player should have any physical contact with a non-player/substitute/coach would be a situation where a handshake would be acceptable. A "professional" kicking at a person not involved in the match, especially one who is a minor, is 100% unacceptable. Anyone who is a referee who says this isn't violent conduct is insane. Any fan who says this isn't 100% violent conduct is ignorant of the laws or a blind fanatic of Chelsea.

KCbus, sjt8184 and Nestapele repped this.
  12. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    According to a web search, he is a 5, which makes it even more astounding.

13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    don't forget to tell the police how your child was acting like an inappropriate douche that led to the situation.

Deleted Account repped this.
  14. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And before that he can explain how the man who kicked his son acted in an inappropriate manner to his son in the first place, and possibly pushed him over. (I only say possibly because it's a point of debate. I think Hazard pushes him over, you may disagree.)

15. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No doubt some contact was made. Pushed over? I'd say more of a dive with embellishment. If this happened in the 18 yd box, the 'kid' (age 17, there are pro's that age) would be looking for a penalty.

But that really isn't the topic for this thread, though it is what it has digressed into.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do.

Those ********ers never do it again, let me tell ya.

SA14mars, MassachusettsRef and billf repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a teenage boy. Why waste everyone's time stating the obvious? (My son turns 13 tomorrow. Shit.)

SA14mars repped this.
  18. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I am pretty sure the police wouldn't care about the ball boy other than the FACT that Hazard kicked someone. What did the ball boy do that was illegal? Not a damn thing, but Hazard is the one with the legal issue. Nice try.

19. Deleted Account

Deleted Account Red Card

Dec 31, 2004
    Sorry, but this interpretation of the events is absolutist and completely without subtlety. Of course we know that the ball is under the kid, but the tight angle gives the visual impression that he is only kicking the kid. No matter what you know about where the ball is, the visual impression is one of Hazard kicking the kid in the side, and that visual impression influences how the situation is perceived.

You realize that you can kick something and pull back, or you can kick something and follow through, right? One is a lot more violent than the other. It's analogous to the difference between pulling a punch or completely decking a guy. It's also analogous to the difference between bunting and taking a full swing with a baseball bat.

This is a silly, possibly disingenuous line of argument. The fact that there's no bright line between the age at which this is or isn't acceptable doesn't at all mean that the ages of the parties involved doesn't make a difference in how the matter should be perceived. Or are you really arguing that a 22-year-old getting physical with an 17/18-year-old is just as bad as a 30-year-old getting physical with a 5-year-old?

To name a few...

http://www.armenianweekly.com/2012/...-see-red-as-armenia-falls-to-defeat-in-sofia/
    http://www.socceramerica.com/article/46161/clip-of-clark-ballboy-slur-triggers-rights-dispute.html
    http://au.fourfourtwo.com/news/239757,tim-cahill-sees-red-over-ballboy-row.aspx
    http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog...s-to-fight-opposing-goalkeeper?urn=sow-271918

So who do you think has the power to address this, then? And why don't they?

Also, if we're getting into what Hazard did and didn't know, I'd say it's far from a given that he knew a substitute was coming on. As far as he knew, he was trying to speed things up. Whether or not it was an effective approach to achieving that objective is irrelevant.

Not at all a good analogy. Imagine, instead, that one of your colleagues who's competing against you for a promotion brings his 17-year-old son into the office to intern. On the day of a big deadline, the kid starts randomly unplugging your mouse a few times, and then he eventually lies on top of your keyboard.

Although certainly inappropriate, one might be able to understand it if, given the heat of the moment and the absurdity of the situation, you were to forcibly get your keyboard out from under the kid, and while you would try to avoid seriously hurting him, you probably wouldn't be overly concerned if he got a little ouchie in the process.

20. Rafal Wlazlo

Rafal Wlazlo Member

Jan 22, 2013
    New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm...this was my next statement you missed to read..
    "Ok, I will get serious for just one second (I'm just in a funny mood now). While we focus (rightfully so) on Hazard's actions and we all know he should have just let the referee handle it, let's also agree this kid even looks annoying. Yes - red card is surely justified. Now, can we go back to sticking it to the annoying kid? ;)"

21. chaoslord08

chaoslord08 Member

Dec 24, 2006
    Fayetteville AR
    Club:
    West Bromwich Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your analogy isn't much better. You tell it as if the ball boy fell on the ball with no provoking. If Hazard doesn't go over there, he's not falling down on top of the ball, simple. Also, a better analogy than laying on the keyboard would be he just takes your keyboard after being provoked, just because that is a lot more probably of a thing to happen than someone laying on your keyboard.

So as full of an analogy that is comparable I can come up with by tacking the relevant things on is "Imagine that one of your colleagues who's competing against you for a promotion brings his 17-year-old son into the office to intern. On the day of a big deadline, the kid starts randomly unplugging your mouse a few times. You do something (lets say yelling at him for doing this) and then he takes your keyboard instead. What do you do?"

The answers to that, of course, are 1) You don't do something to provoke the kid into taking your keyboard in the first place. But given that we are past that point, 2) You ask for the keyboard back and you wait. You don't get into a tussle with a kid. That's just asking for trouble.

Especially because something that is also important to remember is you have a boss who can do a much better job of compelling the kid to give the keyboard back, and he can extend your deadline if something like this happens.

22. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    The Dilbert's Worst Analogy of the Year Award goes to......Chad Sexington

sjt8184 repped this.
  23. Rafal Wlazlo

Rafal Wlazlo Member

Jan 22, 2013
    New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should do a better search I guess.

Here is an assessment of mine (as a National :geek:) from a simple PDL game - read up :D

http://soccerrefereeusa.com/images/RefereeCenter/ref1.pdf

24. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
  25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I see what you did there. All teenagers are created equal. Got it.

There is a huge difference between a 13 yo and a 17 yo, especially one who is acting willfully and cynically.