Survivor 28: Brains v Brawn v Beauty

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by NORML, Feb 26, 2014.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New season kicks off Feb. 26 with a two hour premiere. There will be three tribes to begin with. After being very negative on last years theme I'm willing to have a more open mind from the beginning. Having an all new cast sure helps out.

2. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting new season. I like it overall but you really have to question the decision they made on deciding what is a "brain" because Garrett and David played absolutely stupid games. How do you go on a game like this without some 101 knowledge of the strategy, especially as the "brains" team.

J'Tia is really a horrible player but I am glad that she stayed over Garrett.

3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bald guy from the brain team will either be gone next or be making a run.

Alberto repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, J'Tia is a disaster of a player, but Garrett being blindsided was worthwhile and justifiable. He's a disaster too in terms of his game play, but he was strong enough to single-handedly carried those fish traps to the beach in the immunity challenge that J'Tia then blew. Fascinating beginning, and I am glad there are no returning players.

Alberto repped this.
  5. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    You can tell it's going to be a good season when there are plenty of people to despise.

Another great thing about this season besides no returning players is no redemption island.

Alberto repped this.
  6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Prolly the best first episode for a while. Crazy as bat shit and the players too.

The 4 of the brains trust will go over the next for episodes. They are not in a position to win a challenge. Unless it's building a nuke and letting J'Tia have the switch.

7. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I thought the "community discussion" was a good idea, but he then pushed it to far. It was clear who "should" go, so get that out publicly, which worked, then try to hold. His mistake was being suck a dick about it.

It always amazes me when a small-ish tribe takes out the physically strong first, don't they realize step 1 is win challenges so you don't vote more people out? Not going to tribal allows you time to build alliances, so when you do go, you can make the best move then.

8. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Spencer or Kass making a run out of the Brains group but as a whole, their entire team is in bad shape. Someone mentioned it on the show last night that there is a big difference between brain smart and game smart. Spencer and Kass seem to be the best at it. J'Tia is "dead man walking" in the show. She neither has the social skills or the game smart to survive.

As a team though, they don't have anyone great for physical challenges and they have no food. Not a really good combination.

9. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Going to be hard to impossible for anyone to get out of that group. I can't see them re-arranging the teams at such an early stage. I'd like to see Spencer and Cass stay but it's a train wreck, they'll prolly take one of those two out next time around. :rolleyes:

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has the makings of being a truly enjoyable and interesting season. I really like the cast this season. I was sad to see Jim go. He was very interesting.

The brains team is a train wreck and proves how important athleticism along with strength and endurance are to success in this game.

I really thought that voting off Garrett was a bad move. J'Tai was vindictive and just plain stupid.

I do hate that Survivor created the blindside by purposely not showing the women strategizing before tribal council.

11. Michaelf7777777

Apr 20, 2012
    Wellington
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    New Zealand
    Having just watched the 1st episode (it is airing 3 days later in NZ this season), I have some thoughts:

1. My predicting skills obviously ain't that good as the person I thought preseason was the 2nd most likely to win (based on profiles and intro video's - Garrett) is already gone, hopefully my prediction for most likely winner preseason (Alexis) and 3rd most likely (Spencer) can do much better as no-one else really stood out as a threat to me preseason.

2. Sarah is giving me serious Danni and Sophie vibes the way she saw through Tony and a really good job on the puzzle and as soon as she said her job as a cop in charge of investigation and interrogations (which she also mentioned in her preseason stuff) meant she was exposed to people lying to her every day on the job and was very good at spotting them, was when I realized that she should be very good at the game and if I had made this connection preseason then she would have been in 2nd on my preseason most likely to win list.

3. I think given the tribe he was on Garrett's open forum idea was a bad one although on a tribe where there aren't such assumptions of rationality (both through being the brain's tribe and knowledge of the professions of all the other players on the tribe) it may work (either because the player in Kass's position doesn't want to go back on their word or even if they realize that their commitment was forced and practically meaningless they might feel that the person they said it too will still hold a grudge and report it back to the one's in charge leading to the person in Kass's position getting voted out.

4. Although challenge wise the Brain's tribe give me Matsing/Ulong vibes I think looking at this in a long-term strategic sense they are not necessarily in a bad position. Assuming they lose the next 2 challenges and are then absorbed like Malcolm and Denise from Matsing, they will be absorbed into tribes which have had conflicts/ conflicting alliance's brewing with no resolution (through vote 0ff's) for almost two weeks. This may well enable them to survive at the merge and as the theoretically at least smallest of 3 voting blocks (none of which will probably have 50% or more of the total votes), they are in a good position to get far by playing a Cesterninoesque flipping game.

5. In terms of the labels given to the contestants this season, I think the beauties and females on the brawn tribe have the best chance of staying under the radar as perceived non-threats this season and thus having a better chance of staying in the game for the long-term this season.

6. I suspect one of the unaired reasons why Kass chose to side with J'Tia and Tasha rather than Spencer and Garrett is that in a Matsing like scenario (which is the only scenario where Kass really needs to worry whether she's 2nd or 3rd in the pecking order), Tasha has greater incentive to ditch J'Tia than anyone else has of dumping their pair as J'Tia is too abrasive to be effective at socially infiltrating another tribe following an absorption and sticking around to the merge.

7. I found it refreshing that a celebrity such as Cliff was willing to be totally upfront about who they were and what they have done.

12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    The male cop seems to have more than a little of Russell Hantz in him. Lets see if he can be a little more subtle in his conniving. It looks like the 2 cops might be making the classic mistake of being the pair that must be separated.

The brain tribe is still retarded.

13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Have not watched this show in years. Nothing special about it except a boat load of hot women. Wait hot women why did I ever stop watching it? When is it on again?

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hot women..... and scrawny bitches who are too pretty to do anything around camp. Hope none of them suffers a broken finger nail or the like.

Looks like they voted off the hottest and prettiest member of the hottie team last night....!

His words.

15. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway

I REALLY want them to do that challenge where they all stand in line on the wooden plank and each person has to scootch by the other without falling off. There are a few "top-heavy" contestants who would make it "fun" to watch.
    :D

usscouse repped this.
  16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    That would be worth watching.

Last time they did that, it was the guys vs girls. The one guy, who was a clumsy as an elephant in a china shop, kept knocking all the guys off. Just a complete dumbshit who couldn't put a sentence together, stumbled through the whole show because he wasn't rated a danger and won a million clams...... :rolleyes:

(His job, I believe in real life, was the road guy that held the stop/slow sign on work projects.)

17. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's almost comical the number of ways that the brains tribe loses. Glad that Spencer survived though.

18. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They are so stoooopid. Keeping J'Tia on for so long was the most moronic thing I have seen in along time. Threw away the rice, and sucked at every aspect of challenges. What a loser tribe.

19. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the game changes next week. Nice. All in all, a decent season so far. This is what happens when no returning players.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I just wonder what the criteria was for "Beauty" and for "Brains"

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'm more concerned about what the criteria for nuclear engineers are...:eek:

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt there has ever been a worse performer who has lasted more than one tribal council than J'Tia. Never seen anything like it. That the brawn tribe was trying to throw the challenge but unable to do so due to another tribe being just that inept is incredible.

Comment of the night though goes to that ex-NFL cheerleader about who is beautiful and who isn't. Good lord.

23. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I wonder if it was just sneaky editing, but I could of sworn I saw a look of recognition on Cliff Robinson's face when the girls were dilly-dallying around.

24. Hamburgler03

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, I heard on the radio today that Survivor has better ratings on Wednesday night than American Idol. This is a really good season so far and the merger (or more than likely just tribe swaps) next week will spin the game again.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Oh he surely knew what he was seeing; he was teammates with Hot Rod Williams for a couple of years, so I'd think he has to have some sensitivity to such things.

The question is did he understand/has he figured out why they were doing it, what the plan was?

Ismitje repped this.