Surge in soccer events increases saturation concerns

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Mar 15, 2005.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  2. Bogart

Bogart New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Interesting article. If a city is concerned about "saturation" after I would 5 events in 7 months, then maybe they're not ready for a 16 game season + friendlies/playoffs. I still think that Houston is a great choice for expansion and will succeed if marketed correctly and housed in the proper venue.

3. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As one of the promoters points out, most fans would want to go to the stadium every other week. But there's a limit to how many times you want to see random friendlies and pre-season exhibitions. There's an even lower limit to how many times you're willing to pay the sorts of ticket prices that they charge for events at Reliant.

In any event, a handful of games featuring Mexican teams (or Everton :rolleyes: ) over a few months in different venues with different ticket prices probably tells you very little about what an MLS team with a permanent front office would or wouldn't do in that market.

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more amigo mio. Let's not forget the one huge factor that is left out of all these friendlies between club teams.....they have no cultural connection to Houston or Texas. It's one thing to bring in America for a one and off encounter with a hungover Everton at Reliant or even to play Cruz Azul at Robertson. It is entirely different in this native Houstonian's mind that if a team with Houston or South Texas or Clutch City on their jersey is playing against someone else, that's what has teeth. Teeth that bite into people's heart, stir up passion and give reason for men to sing songs for a bit of la alegria!

Anderson hit the nail on the head with the different venues (Rapids vs. RSL is now at La Porte H.S.) and the lack of a permanent front office. Rootes and his staff have done very well to bring in the matches yet they still lack a native to give the extra shot in the arm that speaks to the natives, regardless of last names. Ticket prices is a good place to start. Having group seating so Tigres supporters aren't getting drunk right next to Toluca supporters. Only in the U.S.A. would soccer get package with high ticket prices and no segregated seating!!!
    The immigrants and sometimes son's of immigrants WILL turn up when they have their own team showing up i.e. America/Cruz Azul/Interliga or National Teams. Yet what colors, flags and symbols can pull natives and immigrants together under one banner. Until that is marketed CORRECTLY to the Houston soccer mad public....well IMHO everything else is just a money making venture with Exhibition squads that spent the previous day at Astroworld. No way is that a marker for a 15+ home game MLS season.
    Everyone and their mothers knows that Houston is a powderkeg for association football. It will take a true native to light that fuse for whatever investor makes the plunge.

5. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Seems to me that other than the Everton games. (over-priced) attendance has been great for all of the other exhibitions and the Interliga.