Supporters Summet 2/4/2013

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Soccer Doc, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes, he is.

I don't know if they're just ignorant as to what other teams around the league are doing, or if they're trying to pull one over on fans. Unfortunately it seems like the latter, but either way I'm disgusted.

"Bigger clubs" like RBNY, TFC, etc. have had scouts four five or so years at this point. Even "smaller clubs" have Head Scouts at this point. Diego Gutierrez was the Head Scout in Philly and Simon Elliott at Chivas USA. Pat Onstad just joined TFC as the head scout there as well. Pretty much every team in the league has at least one person who is focused primarily on scouting.

2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Head scout for RSL.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you surprised?

4. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was what Burns said about scouts, FWIW...

I haven't seen anyone else write that he said that no teams have full-time scouts.

5. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Not in the least. This just goes to show why you can't trust a single thing that comes out of these people's mouths. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid everybody...

RevsFanDan repped this.
  6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But isn't that the implication? "The league isn't there yet" ... but there are multiple teams in the league that have a full-time scout. So what exactly does "the league isn't there yet" mean?

7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We're pretty much one of the only teams in the league without a full-time scout.

8. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All that means is that the league isn't at a point where every team has a full-time scout. Which is true. Some teams do, but there are teams that don't.

9. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's like saying most teams have two assistant coaches, while some teams don't. Why are we always one of the teams that "doesn't?"

10. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Chicago, Chivas, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Houston, Montreal, New England, Philadelphia, Portland, Sporting KC, Toronto, and Vancouver all do not have a member of the staff dedicated to scouting listed on their websites. They all have a staff member who has other duties (usually an assistant coach or two) along with some scouting.

11. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Dave Dir is Head Scout at Colorado. Pat Onstad is the Head Scout at TFC. Matt Larkin is a regional scout for SKC. Also, most of those teams have had Head Scouts before. Dave Dir at Vancouver, Diego Gutierrez at Philly, Simon Elliott at CUSA, etc.

Thirdly, look at the technical staffs for those teams compared to ours. Every team has at least two assistant coaches (we have one), Columbus has a former player serving as Asst. to the GM, etc. Many teams also have foreign assistant coaches that help with language barriers and also foreign scouting/connections.

RevsLiverpool and RevsFanDan repped this.
  12. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Many teams have two scouts.

DC:
    - Morsink, Kurt Scouting Coordinator
    -Torres, Tom Head of Academy Scouting Program

NY:
    - Rob Elliott, U16 Coach and Scout
    - Cris da Silva, Head of Scouting

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  13. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dir is an Assistant/Goalkeeper Coach: “He’ll be helping our technical staff with everything from training to match preparation, and will be working closely with our goalkeepers.”
    http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2012/08/dave-dir-joins-rapids-coaching-staff

You're right on Onstad, I missed him, but there's no references to a Matt Larkin anywhere on the Sporting KC website.

I do agree that the Revs staff is leaner than some teams. They do have a foreign assistant, Remi Roy, who speaks French and has been a liaison between the French-speaking players and Heaps/Burns:

"In addition to Burns, goalkeeper coach Remi Roy, who spoke Cisse’s native French, kept in touch with the defensive midfielder, all in the hopes of getting him on board."
    http://nesoccertoday.com/?p=17817

14. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, which is why I didn't list them among the teams who do not have full-time scouts.

15. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saying that we should have a full time scout. In general, our FO is one of the smallest in the league.

16. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Exactly. The point of this is that we have a completely insufficient Technical Staff, one that is arguably the most understaffed and least experienced in the league.

17. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not disagreeing with that. Just pointing out that nothing Burns said was wrong. The majority of teams in MLS do not currently employ a full-time, dedicated scout. But it's highly likely that will chance over the next few years.

18. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    RevsFanDan repped this.
  19. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    RevsFanDan repped this.
  21. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I missed two (Toronto and Philly) who are on the teams' websites, I just overlooked them.

The rest are correct. As I said, Dir is an assistant/GK coach and there is no Matt Larkin listed anywhere (on their website or Google) with ties to SKC.

22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Looks like that was my fault, the guy's name is actually Matt Martin. Here are a couple of interesting interviews with him about the role of scouting in MLS.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/12/10/3702816/scouting-in-mls-part-one
    http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/12/11/3706986/scouting-in-mls-part-two-academies-and-ncaa
    http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/12...-four-trades-advanced-scouting-and-the-future

23. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, those look like great reads. I wonder why SKC doesn't list him anywhere on their website?

Again, I'm not saying the Revs shouldn't have a scout, because I believe they should. I'm just pointing out that they are not lagging behind the majority of the league when it comes to scouting.

24. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No excuse for not having full time scoutS. This a global game. You need to have scouts in. Not just rely on video. Need to see players in person.

College,Europe,Asia,S America, N America.

There is a reason why the NFL's Cincinnati Bengals have been a terrible franchise for most years. The have 3 Scouts total.

25. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Hiring a scout seems like a no brainer. Any scout worth his paycheck will make the team better, which should help drive attendance, merchandising, etc. If we had signed three decent starters last season instead of Moreno, Lozano and Cardenas, we would have had a playoff team. It's another case of investment needed immediately to see greater future returns, which I feel is something the Revs have not acknowledged.

That said, part of the problem I see with scouts in MLS is that there also isn't as much of a financial gain as you see in other leagues. Say you find a hidden gem of a 20 year old who then lights up MLS for a year or two. He gets interest from some bigger clubs in Europe and you sell for $3M. You can't use that allocation money to reinvest in your scouting. That money can only be used to add to the salary you're not even paying. I'd prefer to see teams have the ability to use that transfer fee to reinvest in the team's foundation, rather than just the roster. Teams would then have a much bigger incentive to find those gems. Finding one starlet would pay your scouting budget for 5-10 years.