News: SuperDraft 2013

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Oct 9, 2012.

1. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Agree with you, Mr. Martin, and others. Plus, I believe he can defeat cupcakes if played in face-up-attack-position. He's got Mr. Downing to help.

I like the draft as a method of adding quality _project_ players like Rowe, and any positioning wrangling for better picks at least makes things interesting for me as a spectator. Yup, it's a bit of a crap shoot, but the Revs at least seem to do their homework and come in to it with a plan. Not so thrilled with the quality of the homework, but here is where I believe they are actually _trying really hard_.

Kevin D.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Thank goodness we have you to tell us what's useful and what isn't.

3. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Actually, most people could see that without reading my post. Unlike you, I don't assume bigsoccer posters are more stupid than I.

RevsFanDan repped this.
  4. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Can't say I was impressed. Though his eye-rolling and arm gestures were top notch.

5. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the 4th overall pick it is.

Gyasi Zardes, Carlos Alvarez, and Eriq Zavaleta likely won't be available. That means we'll likely be picking from the following options:

Andre Blake, GK, UConn - Would make some sense because it looks like Matt Reis won't be coming back... and even if he does, he's nearing the end of the line. Bigger goalkeeper with good hands in the mold of Brad Guzan or Tally Hall.

Walker Zimmerman, D, Furman - Might actually be gone in the top three picks. Consensus best defense prospect in the country. Good size... fairly athletic... plays a simple game... solid defender... has some questions with the ball at his feet... would the Revs really go defense again with Soares, McCarthy, and Barnes already on the roster?

Dillon Powers, M, Notre Dame - Prototype defensive midfielder with some polish to his game. I think he'll be a solid pro, but I question his upside. Contributes on both ends of the pitch and is a real leader. Saw him three times this year - once I thought he was very good, the other two times, he was just kind of... meh. Heaps has made noise about wanting to bring in a defensive midfielder with experience. With Simms and to a lesser extent Gavin already on the roster, is Powers a need?

Ryan Hollingshead, M, UCLA - Versatile, possession-oriented midfielder who feels at home on either wing. More quick than fast and has good size. Can beat defenders one-on-one. While he's one of the more MLS-ready players in the draft, his upside is somewhat limited. Still, he might be a fit in New England... although I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable taking him 4th overall.

Yannick Smith, F, Old Domnion - Lightning fast forward who could be converted to the wing in MLS. Very fast with good feet and an aggressive, attacking attitude. Size is a concern - listed at 5-foot-7, 165 pounds... and that might be generous. Sort of a Dane Richards Starter Kit. Might be a nice contrast to guys like Bengtson and Sene.

IRguy, RevSoccerMV and Jon Martin repped this.
  6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I claim no expertise at all at assessing college talent, but I don't think adding another midfield or defense project makes a great deal of sense if a great GK prospect is available. I doubt he is still there next time we pick if he is all that he is cracked up to be. I suppose it comes down to his intangibles: How smart is he, how coachable, etc. Shuttleworth's month in the spotlight hasn't been particularly flattering, though, so Blake may be a reasonable first pick.

7. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the 2013 MLS SUperDraft wiki page, we have the following draft picks:
    Round1- #4
    Round2- #2(#21overall), #4(#23overall), & DC's pick(TBD, will be between #29-38overall)

IMO, with the #4 pick we should just go with the BPA(BestPlayerAvailable) route. I wouldnt mind trying to trade both the early 2nd round picks for a pick in the 8-12 range, we still have that DC pick to get a depth player later in the 2nd. I wouldnt rule out 1 of Zardes, Alvarez, or Zavaleta dropping to #4. It seems like theres always a shock pick or somebody drops.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im trying to draw up a mock draft for you cats right now, Im liking Blake right now....

I believe Zardes is a LA homegrown too, not completely sure but i think he is.

9. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I'd rather not use a top pick to draft a GK. There are higher rated keepers on the bench of several MLS teams.

I'd like to see the Revs try and trade some of those picks for a veteran starting back or a true wing player. Though it's kind of impossible to know what we need when there could be a few starters leaving this offseason.

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's a lie.

11. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm torn about potentially taking a GK with the #4 pick - a GK doesn't make or break a season like weaknesses at the field positions can, at least in MLS. I'd be somewhat comfortable with Shuttleworth to start the season, as long as they brought in some competition, whether it's a domestic trialist or a lower draft pick (not worth going the prior NYRB route and wasting a spot on an international).

Caldwell coming in as a homegrown covers the central/wing mid competition (he'll already be competing with Rowe and Gavin for time), so the draft should be focused on best available CDM or fullback.

12. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I would take a look at Reynish, possibly Meara, Bingham, and maybe Freddy Hall.

If you want a really young prospect, Kempin, though I doubt he's going anywhere.

What happened to the last highly touted GK who was drafted at #4? It was the same year some guy named Tally Hall went in the 4th round. Nick Rimando was the 4th GK taken in his draft. Kennedy went late in the draft after a number of other keepers, etc. I just don't think GKs are easy to judge based on their college play. I'd rather someone who has at least some experience in MLS if we're bringing them in to be a starter.

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way we take a GK with the #4 pick. We'll take a defensive midfielder, or best available, or trade this pick.

14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Bingham is being groomed for the starting spot in San Jose, something the Revs should have been doing with a talented youngster over the past couple of seasons. Red Bull has some GK depth with Meara, Robles, and Gaudette but I'm not really interested in any of the three. Freddy Hall and Kyle Reynish are equivalents of Bobby Shuttleworth. None of these GKs will ever be as good as Blake will be. I'm still not convinced we should use the #4 pick on GK, but saying these guys are as good as Blake is ridiculous.

15. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    You're putting far more faith in goalkeeper evaluations of college kids than I would. I think it's far too risky for a position that historically results in more starters drafted in the 3rd and 4th round than the 1st and 2nd. Far more development takes place after a goalie is 20-23 years old than any other position.

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite sure I understand all the Shuttleworth hate:
    Player ----------- POS GP GS MINS SHTS SV GA GAA PKG/A W L T ShO W% Sv%
    Matt Reis -------- GK 27 27 2430 133 92 39 1.44 3/3 6 14 7 6 22 69
    Bobby Shuttleworth GK 07 07 0630 029 23 05 0.71 0/0 3 03 1 3 43 79

IRguy and LongDuckDong repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jimmy Nielsen, arguably the Keeper of the Year, had a 0.79 GAA.

Shuttleworth needs to prove he can do it over a full season, but a 0.71 GAA is nothing to sneeze at.

LongDuckDong repped this.
  18. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've seen the kid play a fair amount, I think he's going to be a stud.

19. IRguy

IRguy Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the very least Shuttleworth has proven he is a very good #2 keeper. He is a excellent shot stopper, who IMO showed signs of improving in other areas of his game, which suggests he can be more then a #2.

That being said, i don't think he as shown enough to be handed the starting keeper spot next season.

Crooked repped this.
  20. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much my feeling.

21. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wasting a top 4 draft pick on a keeper would be idiotic at best

22. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    As someone who has said so many negative things about the SuperDraft and the quality of talent available, I'd assume you'd just want to take the best player available. Blake could easily end up being that player.

23. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I can't envision a reality where a goalkeeper would be the best player available, even in the MLS Superdraft.

24. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't take the best player available. You take the most valuable player available. Great GKs don't have much value on the open market because you really only need one.

25. Kraft Out

Kraft Out Member+

Aug 2, 2010
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    and within MLS, they are relatively easily replaceable.